Our partner

What are my chances of becoming schizophrenic?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

What are my chances of becoming schizophrenic?

Postby Bb1992 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:16 am

I am a 27, almost 28 year old male in good health. I have suffered bouts of depression the past few years along with anxiety and OCD. I am on Zoloft everyday and am doing well for the most part. I'm staying active and keeping busy. The reason whyI ask this is that on my mothers side there are two stories of people with suspected schizophrenia. my maternal grandmother's father was said to have been institutionalized for his life because of it, and my maternal aunt (mom's sister) is a paranoid schizophrenic. Does this skip generations?

Neither of my parents or siblings has this condition. What are the chances of becoming a schizophrenic?
Bb1992
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What are my chances of becoming schizophrenic?

Postby ttt123 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm

I don't know, you never know, sometimes it shows up late in life, I can't tell you if you will get it. But my family has a lot of schizophrenia, and it skipped my aunt, and sister, the rest of us have some form of mental illness or schizophrenia. The one's that the mental illness skipped are doing normal and living good lives, the rest of us have struggled cause of the mental illnesses.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:52 am

Postby IDeerInHeadlightsI » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:57 pm

Higher as it runs in your family and you have mental illness.

What age were the members of your family diagnosed with Schizophrenia?

I am now officially diagnosed as Schizoaffective (depression) eliminating my previous personality disorders and confusing the epilepsy dx. But first psychotic episode started at 23. It's only worsened since then to the point of not being able to differentiate reality from hallucinations or paranoia. I also had severe childhood hallucinations.

I wouldn't be too scared of it. It is not like back in the day. Medication goes a long way if you do ever get it and as you haven't had any symptoms yet, if you do ever get it hopefully it won't be serious.

As with everything in life, you adjust. I've adjusted to dissociation and depersonalization. I've adjusted to all types of hallucinations. Paranoia can be hard to deal with but working through it and I accept that my life is the way it is.

Try not to live in fear x
Not A Happy Bunny Syndrome
IDeerInHeadlightsI
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Postby Una+ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Short answer: you can forget about it. Your chance of having schizophrenia is vanishingly small. Be more concerned about your anxiety about having it, which is a typical symptom of OCD. Do you have a therapist? Cognitive therapy could really help with this anxiety.

Anyone's lifetime chance of becoming schizophrenic is about 1%. Most persons living with schizophrenia are diagnosed when they are much younger than you are now. You have other diagnoses, which means that unlike most you have received evaluations by mental health professionals. These professionals have not diagnosed schizophrenia.

Although schizophrenia can run in families, many millions of dollars have been spent trying to find the genetic basis of schizophrenia and finding next to nothing. That means the family tendency is due not to nature but to nurture, or rather lack of nurture: schizophrenia is highly correlated with being abused as a child. Later onset is correlated with less "familial load" and in any event your familial load is minimal: neither parents nor siblings affected.

Here is a new paper with a lot of relevant data: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6500669/
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post