Our partner

Antipsychotics timeline

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Antipsychotics timeline

Postby daghedejole » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:09 pm

Could anybody give me an estimated timeline of effects from coming off Olanzapine slowly for 2 months.
Taken for 7 years at an average rate of 15mg a day. Reaching down to 5mg and 20mg at times.

I am not asking about the return of symptomps part. I am asking more about physical effects, mood, mind activity, return of function and emotion, a possible time where the majority of people are back to prior the medicine, suggestions etc.
daghedejole
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Antipsychotics timeline

Postby Tyler » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:15 pm

I don't have any experience with this, but I'm just dropping in to give a friendly reminder that if you're not discussing this with your doctor, please do. I've tried to ween myself off medication before and it didn't work. Made my life a living hell, physically and mentally.
Email me if you want a doughnut
ImageImageImage

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby daghedejole » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:18 pm

No problem about that, I have been pushed by my second doctor to leave the medication. He is a top one in the country I live in and said the old one totally misdiagnosed, as for him I practically have been taking that for no reason. I have been believing the first doctor for 7 years. I have already started the process.
Just need those info if someone can help.
daghedejole
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:09 am

Postby OrbweaverLeads » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 pm

I weaned myself off anti psychotics when I was fed up with the constant anxiety about the threat of obesity, diabetes and heart disease as side effects. I'd just had enough and didn't think the meds were helping with my psychotic symptoms anyways.

I felt great for a week, really calm. Then the constant, sheer terror returned to my mind & I remembered what my life was off anti-psychotics. Totally low functioning & paralysed by constant terror. Indeed the meds do nothing for my psychotic symptoms but they do take my terror down a notch to high anxiety which I can work with.

It was a super bad time, I was super vulnerable. The only upside is that I gained clear insight into what my anti psychotics do and don't do. I went back on the meds & back to my normal life of worrying about my next blood test & heart disease, obesity & diabetes indicators.

Tyler is right, you should do this with the pdoc's supervision. If you've been on olanzapine for 7 years I'd guess it'd be 6 months before it wears off - just a guess. I've also heard from 1 peer that after stopping olanzapine the metabolic function does not return to normal - the weight doesn't go.
OrbweaverLeads
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:09 am

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post