Our partner

Opinions on my mum

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Opinions on my mum

Postby Australiandungeree » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:22 pm

Hey,

I just wanted to ask other people with the disorder what they thought about the situation I’m in with my mum. Basically she was diagnosed with schizophrenia a few months ago when she was a carer for my Nan, this job was really stressful and she started having hallucinations and hearing voices (which she was doing years ago when her sister died)
Because of this I decided to contact social services and they took my Nan to a nursing home..it’s been a few months and the voices and hallucinations have apparently gone away, even though when my mum talks about them she states they were real and people next door who were agents of this man she’s been talking to since she was 9?
I am really confused about this and I don’t understand what her brain is doing at all and if I question it she just gets mad saying that I don’t understand.
A lot of the time she’s fine now, she’s got together her appearance and seems a lot happier however once a day she has 10 mins where she’ll go on a rant talking to herself about how people aren’t to be trusted, for example today it was how her cousin had alternative motives than trying to help her.
Another thing that’s weird is she thinks everything bad is caused by this man she’s been taking to since she was 9?

My mum gets very angry at people trying to help her she responds with stuff like “I’m not a child” “I’m 50” etc
The mental heath recovery team said are coming round every week but my mum doesn’t trust them and honestly seems quite scared of them, she says she thinks they have the wrong person etc.
So I’m not sure what to do now ideally she’d need a therapist for the paranoia? She won’t talk to anyone who comes though and I’ve been asked by the dr if I thought she needed to be hospitalised but I really don’t think that would be helpful as she’s not opening up herself.
I’m at uni quite a lot of the time so I’m helping from there however I visit on weekends etc, I’m going to talk to her therapist again next week but I doubt she’ll talk to them soon.
Any advice or insight?
Australiandungeree
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Opinions on my mum

Postby Disco1 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:52 pm

has she ever been on meds for this? sounds like she wouldnt go on them if she doesn't accept theres something wrong.

as for going into hospital, it really helped me (i didnt want to go, i was 'sectioned' ie forced). my experience of a mental hospital, although initially i was afraid, was overall a good experience.

if she is not a danger to herself or to others then being forced into hospital cannot happen (atleast in the UK).
Disco1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Australiandungeree » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:11 pm

No she just says she’s not mentally ill and that she hates how everyone’s talking about mental illness she takes a lot of iron and Vitamin B though which is weird but apparently that helps.
I was told by the mental health team that if it seems she’s getting worse they’d section her but she has been improving at the moment. But she also says the man goes away but then he comes back :?
If hospital worked I think it would be good but she is extremely untrusting and I doubt she’d open up to people especially if she feels like they’ve kidnapped her and put her somewhere that’s not her house. She’d probably just yell at them the whole time and stop taking the meds when she gets home.
Australiandungeree
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Disco1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Sounds like a tough situation, its a situation that many relatives of those with schizophrenia go through so you're not alone. I think you are best placed to say if sectioning or not is a good idea.... it worked out for me, but i was VERY ill, worse than how your mum sounds.

Good luck keep us updated if things progress.
Disco1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post