Our partner

Periods of Psychosis

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Periods of Psychosis

Postby Poisonchocolate » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 am

How brief and how far apart are psychotic episodes? I've had periods of my life in which I've stayed out of school to avoid confrontation with the people who were reading my thoughts. But at a time like right now, I feel "sane" like clearly those thoughts are impossible and they don't feel real at all. I usually don't even think about them. Or just a few weeks ago, I prayed incessantly to Jurrican and cut myself several times to try to make sacrifices to him, pleading for my prayers to be answered. But now, just a little bit later, I feel like that was almost a completely different person. Not diagnosed schizophrenic, just thought this was the closest forum to what I had to ask. Tell me if there's somewhere better for general psychotic breaks or something. Nothing that I know of triggered these.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Periods of Psychosis

Postby DarkMind » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:11 pm

You asked how brief psychotic episodes tend to be.

For a diagnoses of schizophrenia the medical articles online will tell you that to be diagnosed schizophrenic you need to experience one or more of the positive symptoms such as hallucinations, delusions, disorganized speech/ behavior for at least one month I believe. Many sites will say you must experience positive symptoms for a period of six months.

Now for a personal answer, for me when 1st diagnosed I was hearing voices and having delusions of persecution for 2 months without being aware of it, or able to inform my family exactly of what I was experiencing or going through.

I have found my psychotic episodes to last at least a month, but I have not had a bad psychotic episode for quite a while now, several years.

I do have episodes of extreme aggression and anger, being diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenic, that can last one or two hours- these are not experienced every day either, unless incredibly angry at a specific person, for good enough reason. Then I am capable of experiencing anger for a 24 hour period.

As for far apart when diagnosed I experienced psychotic episodes 3 months apart for a period of two full years. Realize every case is different and there may be others whom experience symptoms more or less severely for different time periods.

Hope this helped answer.
DarkMind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Re: Periods of Psychosis

Postby Poisonchocolate » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:01 am

A very, very helpful answer. Thank you.

I have also heard of schizophreniform disorder, but I understand it's very rarely actually diagnosed. I'll need to make sure I talk to my psychiatrist after recent events. I haven't seen her in a very long time.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post