Our partner

What Are Your Coping Strategies?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

What Are Your Coping Strategies?

Postby CityMouse » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:33 pm

So there's no cure for schizophrenia. There's not even a cure for pure ocd or for some people's depression, let alone this.

"Life is managed, not cured" -Dr. Phil

What do you do to "manage?" What are your coping strategies?

Mine are:

1. Isolation

My life has improved tenfold ever since I stop putting pressure on myself to do the "natural" thing and socialize. People may call me selfish. Selfish, or self-contained?

I study stoic philosophy and the philosophers like Marcus Aurelius believed in working together. The pressure was on. Either extreme is a crap life, a CEO or a philosopher slave. I'm no little lamb. I'm a drooling wolf, a lone wolf. I still read the stoic books as there are some takeaways. So I'm a Loner Misanthrope Stoic. I would be a LaVeyan Satanist but that is conducive to being very angry.

2. Distraction

Not mindless distractions like video games and TV. Meaningful distractions like reading Stoic books, atheist books, journaling, blogging, this board, emails, stuff like that.

3. Positive self talk

My dream is to become absolutely addicted to this. Then I need fewer externals. You can't control what pops into your head. But it's like a horse that whinnies and neighs: you let it rise up and then you take the reigns.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What Are Your Coping Strategies?

Postby z7z » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:23 pm

Hobbies, exercise, low carb diet lifestyle, music, reading, team sports, laying in the sun, volunteering, cooking, hiking, movies, comedy. Whatever makes you happy!
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Postby agent101g » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:20 am

Mine are what you had listed as mindless distractions, specifically television and video games.

I find having something on in the background is comforting and grounding. Sometimes I play a handheld game (has to be handheld, I'm on a couch) while the television is on. Lately it's been Skyrim and the Simpsons; they have 636 episodes and an app with all of them (well, Hulu for the latest season) so, something to keep on that doesn't repeat itself.

During particularly bad nights I'd leave a show on streaming and wake up with it many episodes later the next morning, and it felt good to me that the television was still on and running as I was asleep. Comforting I guess.

I'm surprised you can read with Schizophrenia. My concentration has gone with the illness. I can only follow audiobooks now. Sucks, I was an English Major. If you can read, you should probably keep reading, it will keep your mind sharp, and that is so important with this disorder.
agent101g
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Postby CityMouse » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:07 pm

agent101g wrote:Mine are what you had listed as mindless distractions, specifically television and video games.

I'm sorry I said it like that. As long as you're happy. *Hugs*
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby swilliams » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:03 am

I have always derived considerable value from keeping notes (a journal or diary, commonly termed). But in 2007 I happened to compose what I call a "first person transcript" that is a quote unquote record (recorded in my phone or typed) of the EXACT dialogue between me and my voices. This for me is a real winner. The following statement is absolutely true - just writing (recoding) a transcript immediately changes the nature, statements and hostility of my voices - immediately. As soon as they realise that every thing they say, every statement or phrase they 'utter', is being accurately and exactly recorded in some form, they re-evaluate what they are saying and begin avoiding incriminating, hateful, and any other inditing remarks, and they become more inquisitive, less poisonous, and more careful of making any statements that might reveal information about themselves and their manner, that would lead to their effective minimisation and condemnation.

I have to also say, annoying as it is to me personally, that this works in a congruent manner with most of the leading and popular hypotheses regarding the aetiology (causes) of AVH's, even misattribution.

But done just take my word for it. You can begin instantly, by sitting at your computer, or downloading a vocal recording app on your phone, and right now stat writing, or repeating into your phone, exactly quote unquote what they say, and your response to what they said. After time, you will certainly appreciate how their manner changes when they think they are going to be held to account for their statements and demeaner.

There are other benefits also. You have detailed evidence of your symptomology and information that you can provide informally to your doctor, if they enquire about the frequency of tone/nature of your voices. You also have a record of what they said, that is invaluable when they contradict themselves (as they always do, because they cannot avoid lying all the time). You can also chart your progress at managing and pacifying them through your approach to engagement. You can also annotate your notes, and empirically measure the efficacy of any additional techniques you utilise to bring relief. They allow for the accurate identification of triggers, so you can avoid them. They improve your self confidence and self esteem, by virtue of the fact that you have factual evidence that you are a kind, reasonable person or quality, in contrast to their malevolent, despicable nature. And this enables you to achieve "the higher moral ground" that provides certainty that you are a good person, dealing with childish, hateful assholes (who are criminally liable for the remarks they make and the treatment they dish out)..
swilliams
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:57 am

Postby DarkMind » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 am

One of my coping strategies is to journal write everyday.

I also do daily chores, like clean, after myself as well as family members, I do my own laundry as well as my brother's clothes when they ask, two of them ask me to often.

I also read a lot to occupy my mind, this however could be very frustrating as my ability to concentrate at times can be greatly affected.

When first diagnosed I had trouble following the simplest directions to microwave a dinner, where previously I had no problems with this. I am managing quite well, I have no longer problems with using the microwave or the stove, actually since my diagnoses I have gotten better at cooking especially things on and in the oven, not crazy things either but normal food, soup, muffins etc.

I have found during acute psychosis episodes my ability to think was hindered greatly, now I am at the level of taking daily medicine- Risperdal and Zoloft- the Zoloft is being taken for anxiety, and other than the fact I suffer visual type hallucinations every good once in a while I am managing pretty well considering how my illness began, and how bad off I was back then. Things have become easier, and I am well aware that the visual hallucinations I am having are hallucinations more often than not. It can get confusing when they look very real- like the time I saw my aunt and uncle walking down the street and I didn't recognize them because they looked like two completely different people than themselves when I first looked behind me at them.

Haha that was quite an experience, being asked why I hadn't answered them when they called my name, and having to tell them it was because they both looked utterly different than who they were. They understood being aware of my illness however, and even more because my aunt suffers bi-polar with psychosis herself.

Most days like any other sufferer I manage as best as I can.

I feel we all do.
DarkMind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Malasha » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:15 am

*mod edit*
Last edited by Tyler on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Keep anti-psych posts in anti-psych
Malasha
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post