Our partner

Experiences with Group Gaslighting

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Experiences with Group Gaslighting

Postby OrangeOcelot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:56 am

Anyone else had experiences with being gas-lit by a group or community into thinking you're delusional? People (strangers and people I know around uni) are whispering about how much of an asshole I am under their breath and then denying they said anything when I ask them about it. I am keeping in mind that I am quite a negative person and have screwed a few people over here and there.

I'm struggling pretty hard right now with telling if people are ######6 with me or if it's all in my head.
OrangeOcelot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Experiences with Group Gaslighting

Postby MetatronEnoch » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:39 am

Such people are toxic gossips and are trash in my opinion having been on both sides of the isle than I would like. Take care of your own and hold your head up knowing most of those people are probably hallow shells hiding under veneers of normalcy, such people are nothing more than the sum of their social media accounts :wink:

When it is all in your head reality has its ways of letting you know. I despise gaslighting!
MetatronEnoch
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Postby OrangeOcelot » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 am

I agree, it's a putrid act and is just an easy way to go after those who are perceived as weak. That gang mentality can be very destructive. It's tempting to catch people out doing it through recordings but it seems too difficult and without concrete evidence it'll just feed the result they want. Jesus Christ, it makes me anxious.
OrangeOcelot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby paleofirst » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 am

My first wife gaslit me the last few years of our marriage so I know a few things about it. There is no crueler or more disgusting act in my humble opinion than to try to convince someone, especially someone already struggling with their mental health that they have something more wrong with them than they actually do. It is completely evil, if I was not an atheist I would say these disgusting semihuman monsters would burn in hell. Unfortunately, they will simply cease to exist when they die to make the universe in some small way a better place.
Paleofirst
dx: Schizoaffective Disorder bi-polar subtype, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Meds: Invega Sustenna, Saphris, Depakote, Ativan
paleofirst
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Postby z7z » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 pm

It's sick for sure. It takes a psychopath to organize it.
Then again, they could just be gossiping about you and denying it, which is not really gaslighting.
If you admit you're a negative person, maybe they are just being honest.
However, if they're gaslighting you then I would ignore it if you're strong or cut ties with them.
This is why it's better to be quiet in many situations. People will leave you alone. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Postby Justddrown » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:40 am

Screw with them. Twist their head. That’s about it. I haven’t figured out anything beyond that and I’m not sure why anyone would want to do this and we’re made to feel outnumbered. I haven’t felt free in a long time. Don’t remember when. But screw with them. I read a study about humans and primates If you put a set of eyes on a sign humans behavior altered. Do the same to monkees a hierarchical species it has no effect on the monkeys behavior. Moral of the story is that stuff won’t work on this humansie.

-- Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 pm --

Screw with them. Twist their head. That’s about it. I haven’t figured out anything beyond that and I’m not sure why anyone would want to do this and we’re made to feel outnumbered. I haven’t felt free in a long time. Don’t remember when. But screw with them. I read a study about humans and primates If you put a set of eyes on a sign humans behavior altered. Do the same to monkees a hierarchical species it has no effect on the monkeys behavior. Moral of the story is that stuff won’t work on this humansie.

-- Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:47 pm --

Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Postby CityMouse » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:05 pm

A YouTube Vlogger said that the biggest trip the ego plays is to convince itself that the person is "nice" or "good." People are not nice, they're drooling wolves. And that person isn't even schizophrenic. So no I don't think you're delusional.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 am

Postby OrangeOcelot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:32 am

I'm beginning to feel more and more like these experiences are reality. Strangers are shouting at me from their cars (which my friend also heard), people laugh when they see me and even during my stay in hospital a year ago I overheard the nurses commenting, attempting to psycho-analyse me but in pretty cruel ways, calling me a "retard" and saying it was too late for me to change. Usually, ff I ask someone about what I thought I heard, they tell me I'm a nice guy and have nothing to worry about. If I had to hedge a bet, I'd say I'm the but of some massive joke. Leaves me with two options: desensitize myself to the bullying or take action somehow to force it to stop. I feel the "psychotic" dx is just a way that my close friends and mental health professionals are protecting my ego from the breakdown I would have if my suspicions were confirmed.

How can I get out of this?

Peace and love.
OrangeOcelot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby CityMouse » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:06 pm

You can't control other people, so no, you can't "make" them stop. Why does it bother you what people think, say, or do? Use it as an exercise in tranquility, because nothing costs nothing, said Epictetus.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 am

Postby OrangeOcelot » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:23 pm

You make a good point, it is impossible to control the thoughts of others. How does one stop giving a $#%^ about the opinions of others; real or imagined? It’s something I’ve struggled with for a while, even before I experienced my first episode. Is it a matter of building self confidence?
OrangeOcelot
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post