Our partner

Schizophrenia or Brain Inflammation?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Schizophrenia or Brain Inflammation?

Postby amaranta » Wed May 16, 2018 2:42 am

Misdiagnosed with schizophrenia for a year. Later on received the correct diagnosis of treatable brain inflammation - autoimmune encephalitis (Hashimoto's Encephalitis) in April 2017. I am very happy that my story got posted in AE Alliance blog. I hope it will help some readers to receive a proper diagnosis. I cannot say that I recovered 100%, but there is improvement after IV steroids, and at least now I know the specific diagnosis. I’m sure that for many being told by doctors multiple diagnoses is a horrible experience. Going from one doctor to next, being told it’s schizophrenia, major depression, schizoaffective disorder… More doctors need to be aware of HE!

Last edited by Tyler on Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not post link to personal blogs
amaranta
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:10 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Schizophrenia or Brain Inflammation?

Postby z7z » Tue May 22, 2018 1:51 am

Good to know! I've heard of diseases mimicking mental illness symptoms so I hope you can bring awareness to more people.
Be kind to everyone you come across because you never know who’s suffering inside.
z7z
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby amaranta » Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 am

I am not even sure whether 'mental illnesses' are different from neurological illnesses such as encephalitis or Alzheimer's. Maybe we shouldn't view them as 'mental' but they should all be under neurology? From what I've read, people with schizophrenia have a specific brain structure that is seen on MRI. Borderline personality disorder patients have a different amygdala. Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain.. given that the symptoms that I experienced were very similar to schizophrenia symptoms, maybe the inflammation affected the brain in a similar way? The treatment is different, yes, autoimmune encephalitis requires immune suppressants, but these could all be seen as various neurological diseases.
amaranta
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby tom21 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:30 am

Hey can you look at my most recent post and tell me if you can relate to any of the things Ive experienced? Ive never been diagnosed with anything but Ive definitely experienced psychotic symptoms and still do.
tom21
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby amaranta » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:55 am

tom21 wrote:Hey can you look at my most recent post and tell me if you can relate to any of the things Ive experienced? Ive never been diagnosed with anything but Ive definitely experienced psychotic symptoms and still do.

I think everyone's psychosis is different because it can often relate to their environment. I have always felt inferior to other women, so for me psychosis intensified it. I started to become severely paranoid that my boyfriend wanted to abandon me and that I was also not interesting enough for my friends. I experienced extreme fear on a daily basis - the kind of fear you would experience if you were in an airplane 39,000 feet above an ocean, in severe turbulence. I also felt that my personality was disintegrating - I was no longer sure what to do with myself - what is it that I used to do at home? What do I like? How do I cook? It felt as if my skills were wiped out. I assume this was all due to ongoing brain inflammation, it was now treated with steroids.
amaranta
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post