Our partner

What does it "feel like" to have disorganized schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

What does it "feel like" to have disorganized schizophrenia?

Postby wxglobemaster448 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:25 pm

first off before anyone reads the title and start telling me that there is no way that I could have it because I wouldn't be able to write this, let me start by saying that I do NOT think I have it. I just have a very broad spectrum of symptoms inc. diagnosed psychotic disorder NOS, foggy mind, symptoms of Borderline personality and making weird unexplainable noises and memory problems. With disorganized type do words just not come to the persons mind? Do their thoughts feel foggy? How long did it take for symptoms to get really bad? What were your first symptoms? Specifics and personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Borderline Personality Disorder with major depressive features, Tic disorder, multiple anxiety-related disorders, Trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder)
wxglobemaster448
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What does it "feel like" to have disorganized schizophrenia?

Postby XxTheCrowXx » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:52 pm

For me it feels like whenever I have a coherent thought, it's literally right there on the edge waiting for me to grab it but then it just slips away and I'm stuck in a cycle of thoughts just slipping away.
XxTheCrowXx
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:44 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby wxglobemaster448 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:16 pm

Is that your only symptom though? Would you mind elaborating please?
Borderline Personality Disorder with major depressive features, Tic disorder, multiple anxiety-related disorders, Trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder)
wxglobemaster448
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby ZonedOut » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:27 pm

XxTheCrowXx wrote:For me it feels like whenever I have a coherent thought, it's literally right there on the edge waiting for me to grab it but then it just slips away and I'm stuck in a cycle of thoughts just slipping away.

That's exactly how I often feel as well.

I don't have schizophrenia but I do experience symptoms of cognitive disorganization. It's hard to explain what it's like. It's just that my mind feels like a mess most of the time. I can 'think' for hours on something, just going in circles and never reaching some sort of conclusion or coherent end result of the thinking proces. When I'm at the point of actually starting to come to a conclusion or coherent end result of the thinking proces, I'll lose it quickly (like XxTheCrowXx says), feeling like I have to start over my whole thinking proces right from the beginning.
Dx - Schizoid Personality Disorder // Attention Deficit Disorder
ZonedOut
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:44 am

Postby wxglobemaster448 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:20 pm

I have that same exact feeling Does it have to be more severe to be classified as "disorganized schizophrenia"? I have many symptoms which match the disorder. Not looking for a diagnosis, just think that it might be "possible" I have it, but I dont think so. What are the other feelings? Incoherence? I also make weird noises which annoy people. Idky I do it it's just kind of an "urge" that comes on. It really gets annoying to people around me. Sometimes I'll think of something from a movie and say it in a weird voice that annoys people or just make a weird noise or say something random with no meaning or thought behind it; just to release the tension feeling. I also will listen to one particular song for hours repetitively. The music will change in pitch and volume so it sounds like it is going faster or slower the second time i listen to the song. My mind feels rather chaotic, and I am always forgetting everything.
wxglobemaster448
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby ZonedOut » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:51 pm

wxglobemaster448 wrote:I have that same exact feeling Does it have to be more severe to be classified as "disorganized schizophrenia"? I have many symptoms which match the disorder. Not looking for a diagnosis, just think that it might be "possible" I have it, but I dont think so. What are the other feelings? Incoherence? I also make weird noises which annoy people. Idky I do it it's just kind of an "urge" that comes on. It really gets annoying to people around me. Sometimes I'll think of something from a movie and say it in a weird voice that annoys people or just make a weird noise or say something random with no meaning or thought behind it; just to release the tension feeling. I also will listen to one particular song for hours repetitively. The music will change in pitch and volume so it sounds like it is going faster or slower the second time i listen to the song. My mind feels rather chaotic, and I am always forgetting everything.

Many disorders go together with cognitive problems, most notably ADHD/ADD and depression. Cognitive disorganization is more severe and is also qualitatively different from either cognitive problems in ADHD/ADD, or depression. It could be classified as disorganized schizophrenia (or maybe schizophrenia simplex in countries using ICD-10 instead of DSM-5) when symptoms are severe enough to justify such a classification. You may find this list of symptoms of formal thought disorder (which is severe cognitive disorganization) interesting.
Dx - Schizoid Personality Disorder // Attention Deficit Disorder
ZonedOut
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:44 am

Postby wxglobemaster448 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Thank you for the list. It was quite helpful. I generally know what all/most of the symptoms on the list are; the problems for me is determining how severe they need to be to be considered schizophrenia. I mean, like will they only diagnose disorganized schizophrenia if you can't even say a simple sentence that makes sense? Or could it be not as bad and still be diagnosed? (Not as mild as ADD impairments but not very severe?)

I have had ADD my whole life, Major Depression for the last 5 years, psychotic disorder NOS since December '13, Trichillomania (hair pulling disorder), OCD, Executive dysfunction (trouble organizing things and generally staying on track), severe panic attacks (panic disorder), some aspie traits and Body Dysmorphic disorder.

I also know that I have Borderline Personality Disorder) this is one thing I just know, don't ask why, it's just a sense. To many matching scenerios to not be able to have it.

All of those illnesses were professionally diagnosed. I guess some of those would explain all the though problems and issues. Maybe it's just me but it seems like my thoughts are getting more and more scattered. I'm also wondering if anyone has had experience with making the weird noises and generally acting very immaturely?
wxglobemaster448
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Tyler » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:19 am

Sometimes, it feels right. Let me explain. I get disorganized at night time, usually, and I'm all over the place. I'll be sitting here, 11:30 PM, and I'll say to myself, "I'm thirsty!" Then I'll get up from my seat in my bedroom and go out to the kitchen to get something to drink. Instead, I'll make a sandwich and eat. I'll go right back into my room, and not notice until the next day what I did, Routine usually helps me, such as having a set schedule. My boss did this for me whenever I was promoted to a supervisor. I usually work in the evenings from 3:45 PM until 10:15 PM. "Alright, Tyler, 3:45, you come in and meet with the morning supervisor. At six, you pull reports for a sweep. At nine, you do your closing sweep. At 9:30, you bring the tills in from the registers. Once you get done, you leave." This works for me, but sometimes in the in-between, I'll get disorganized, and that's when it feels wrong. "Travis, go to break, please" whenever I meant to send Lucy to break (made up names, by the way). "No, wait, turn your light back on, Lucy, you go!" Generally it doesn't happen, but it has before. I don't consider myself severe or anything, but I do go through it.
Email me if you want a doughnut
ImageImageImage

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:44 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby wxglobemaster448 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:12 pm

Tyler77 wrote:Sometimes, it feels right. Let me explain. I get disorganized at night time, usually, and I'm all over the place. I'll be sitting here, 11:30 PM, and I'll say to myself, "I'm thirsty!" Then I'll get up from my seat in my bedroom and go out to the kitchen to get something to drink. Instead, I'll make a sandwich and eat. I'll go right back into my room, and not notice until the next day what I did, Routine usually helps me, such as having a set schedule. My boss did this for me whenever I was promoted to a supervisor. I usually work in the evenings from 3:45 PM until 10:15 PM. "Alright, Tyler, 3:45, you come in and meet with the morning supervisor. At six, you pull reports for a sweep. At nine, you do your closing sweep. At 9:30, you bring the tills in from the registers. Once you get done, you leave." This works for me, but sometimes in the in-between, I'll get disorganized, and that's when it feels wrong. "Travis, go to break, please" whenever I meant to send Lucy to break (made up names, by the way). "No, wait, turn your light back on, Lucy, you go!" Generally it doesn't happen, but it has before. I don't consider myself severe or anything, but I do go through it.

Hey, my name is Tyler too! :mrgreen: But yeah, I'm honestly the same way in that all my symptoms get worse at night. I guess it happens with a lot of people with psychosis; I also noticed it in other people when I was in the hospital. I stopped taking my medication though because it wasn't helping with any of the disorganized thinking aspects. I have three jobs and go to college at the same time so it is necessary that I have a set schedule. Sometimes I'm just talking and my mind goes blank, or I repeat what other people say in my head. My boss will ask me "Hey Tyler, can you please go take the trash out?" And I'll say in my head "take the trash out, take the trash out, take the trash out." My speech is also sometimes harder to understand at night.
wxglobemaster448
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Schizophrenia Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post