Our partner

Sometimes I feel like life is a movie

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Sometimes I feel like life is a movie

Postby Enter the void » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Has anyone experienced this?

For example if I´m in the mall to buy DVDs and they turn the radio volume up so the costumers hear the music, I picture myself as a character in a movie who buys things in a store with sad music in the background.

Or when a friend of mine talks about this anniversary present for his girlfriend, I picture myself as a wise adviser and friend. I immediately have that picture in my mind how the situation I´m experiencing would be shot in a series or a movie.

In these cases I don´t think of myself as a particular character, I just feel like I´m in a movie because I have seen those kind of situations a hundred times before.

I often fantasize during the day and maybe I think of situations like movies because I enjoyed watching movies since I was a child. Today I watch movies very often and it´s one of few things that I still enjoy.

When you watch movies you don´t have to fantasize by yourself because they take you into another world (if they are good).

Maybe I do it also because I want to remove myself from the situation and I use that method to look at life from a distanced perspective.
Enter the void
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Sometimes I feel like life is a movie

Postby EtherealStarlight » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:35 pm

do you think that maybe you might have derealization? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

i don't know a lot about it, but i think that kind of feeling like you're sort of separate from your body, detached, just watching what's going on rather than participating, etc. is part of a derealization or a disassociative disorder.
EtherealStarlight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:00 pm

Postby Enter the void » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm

I don´t know. I feel like I´m more my head than the rest of my body if you know what I mean.
I´m not always observing but I....
It´s hard to put it in words. It´s like my mind likes to create a story about my life situation.
Enter the void
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Camelidae » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Maladaptive daydreaming maybe if you do it excessively and in a way that it interferes with your life?
"If you're using half your concentration to look normal, then you're only half paying attention to whatever else you do. Just pointing out something that could save your life. You want society to accept you, but you can't even accept yourself.", from X-Men: First Class
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:00 am

Postby tazzmissionx » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:47 pm

From all the reading and searching I have done, the way I understand it, this is how our brains compensate for what we don't/can't get from reality. If it is getting excessive to where it interferes with your life or if it starts to turn into an out of body experience like if you were watching yourself, than there is something going on and it needs to be addressed.
tazzmissionx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:00 pm

Postby Enter the void » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 pm

That seems right to me. I always enjoyed playing video games and I watched a lot of Tv as a child. Also music is probably the biggest factor for me. Whenever I hear a song I like I immediately drift into fantasy sometimes about me, sometimes I dream up some characters.

edit: What exactly does it mean to watch yourself from outside?
Last edited by Enter the void on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enter the void
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Leam_Girl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 pm

I do this all the time. Sometimes I walk around listening to my iPod where I imagine I'm a character in a film walking along to this opening track of the movie. I even picture the camera angles and what characteristics my character has (sometimes I'm me, sometimes I'm a character). Sometimes I imagine I'm a new character in a show I really like, or that I am an existing character on a show that I really like.

I am doing a course in Film and TV production where we have to think about this all the time down to every last detail, so maybe this is a reason why I do it so often, but I've always done it so maybe its a form of escapism. I envy actors for getting to pretend to be someone else every day, but they probably have amazing lives anyway so that kinda makes that point moot!
Leam_Girl
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post