Our partner

Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby Cface » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:55 pm

How exactly do a schizoid and sociopath compare & differ?
I am the thread killer.
The Birth of Day Man
Cface
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby ShaggyShaggs » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Sociopath isn't a thing. It's a loosely defined term applied applied to a multitude of differences and disorders, and abused by internet tough guys that want to seem hard.
The gnome zaps a forked wand!--More--
The death ray hits you!--More--
You die...--More--
Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)
ShaggyShaggs
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:12 pm

Postby Cirvante » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:40 pm

You should rather try to compare schizoid PD and antisocial PD. I would say that schizoids have the capabilities to be antisocial (lack of empathy, disregard for social norms), but most of them lack the motivation to be antisocial and/or fear that the consequences may be bothersome. I, too, have some antisocial traits, but they are still mild compared to real APDs.
"Man is by nature a social animal; an individual who is unsocial naturally and not accidentally is either beneath our notice or more than human. (...) Anyone who (...) does not partake of society is either a beast or a god."
— Aristotle, Politics
Cirvante
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:12 am

Postby Eric_Lee » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:26 am

Both disorders are far to broad and general to do an actual comparrison. they're both very loosely defined, so comparing the individual traits (i.e lack of empathy).. some schizoids have it.. yet some do not. After all you only need 4 of the 9 symtoms xD

Generally though (and i use generally loosely), i'd say a schizoid is a sociopath, they're just lacking the immunity to fear (or stupidity to not be able to see they may be caught) that sociopaths have naturally, and schizoids lack the motivation sociopaths have.
Eric_Lee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cface » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:10 am

So schizoids tend to be anti-social because they don't like to be bothered by people and theirs but sociopaths don't mind it. But schizoids are able to use emotions to their advantage like a sociopath but think about the consequences of what they manipulate because it can cause them to be put in uncomfortable situations, but socipaths do not think that far ahead?

We think about consequences but not in the normal sense, instead of worrying about how it will affect another persons emotions we worry about how our action/behavior/whatever will affect future interaction with people, if people will create an uncomfortable situation for us (i.e. more attention from their emotions than we like, such as confronting us with anger leaving us uncomfortable because we are expected to react with intense emotion like them [i think]).

So schizoids are like the smarter version of a sociopath, because we think ahead, with more anti-social tendencies... am i right, half right? A level-headed sociopath.
I am the thread killer.
The Birth of Day Man
Cface
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Polis666 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:25 am

Cface wrote:So schizoids tend to be anti-social because they don't like to be bothered by people and theirs but sociopaths don't mind it. But schizoids are able to use emotions to their advantage like a sociopath but think about the consequences of what they manipulate because it can cause them to be put in uncomfortable situations, but socipaths do not think that far ahead?

No sociopath lack empathy but have other strong emotions that motivate him. SPD is lacking in emotion in general so he don't have much energy/motivation/need to manipulate people, and get things that he don't care about anyway.
Polis666
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Cface » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:34 am

Polis666 wrote:
Cface wrote:So schizoids tend to be anti-social because they don't like to be bothered by people and theirs but sociopaths don't mind it. But schizoids are able to use emotions to their advantage like a sociopath but think about the consequences of what they manipulate because it can cause them to be put in uncomfortable situations, but socipaths do not think that far ahead?

No sociopath lack empathy but have other strong emotions that motivate him. SPD is lacking in emotion in general so he don't have much energy/motivation/need to manipulate people, and get things that he don't care about anyway.

Well i manipulate people when i want something... i project emotions and such to make people feel sorry for me or trust me more so i can get something out them whether it be material (i.e.drugs, place to live) or to be entertained in their reactions and behaviors to my projected emotions...
I am a sociopath in that i manipulate people for things of survival (or what i think i need) or for entertainment, but many other sociopathic traits.
From that point of view do you see me more inclined as a sociopath or a schizoid?
I am the thread killer.
The Birth of Day Man
Cface
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ShaggyShaggs » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:53 am

I see someone looking for a club to join for whatever reason, but then I'm a misanthropic dick.
The gnome zaps a forked wand!--More--
The death ray hits you!--More--
You die...--More--
Do you want your possessions identified? [ynq] (n)
ShaggyShaggs
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:12 pm

Postby Cface » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 am

^^You talking to me? As always i'm only comparing differences and similarities and finding others point of view on the topic.
Doesn't matter what it's about just so long as i find it interesting.
I am the thread killer.
The Birth of Day Man
Cface
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Eric_Lee » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Being a sociopath isn't a good thing, atleast being a diagnosed one.. they'll just lock you away, and no more fun :(. many sociopaths hide under the schizoid label though, its a much safer excuse to their actions.
Eric_Lee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post