Our partner

Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby Eric_Lee » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:57 pm

ragnarok73 wrote:When you care, it's called sympathy. Empathy is kind of a hard wired radar. Those who have it get blips whether they like it or not, then whether they care or not is on a case by case basis. That being said, some people can both pick up on others' emotions and even care for some of the persons involved (not talking about random strangers)... but feel a compulsive need to be (left) alone. It comes from two different needs that can coexist with various degrees of tensions. It can appear through of times when they feel like catching up with those they care for alternating with longer bouts of withdrawal and isolation to recharge themselves.

Thats an interesting take on it, i sort of understand, and i guess i could be considered to have empathy then, because i do have an acute talent at picking up on other peoples thoughts and feelings, i just generally do not care either way. It can be used to my advantage though.
ragnarok73 wrote:As for the label thing, since some people browsing the board may be looking for experiences of fellow disordered, maybe for means of coping with certain symptoms, it's good to try and have accurate definitions. Otherwise, it's not unlike someone with a flu getting a prescription for a burn.

The problem is, and i often joke about this, there are MANY people in these boards, and others, who will argue every single defining thing about schizoid-ness, in a desperate attemtp to hold onto their little title. They all claim that, "well, that is only ONE symtom of a schizoid, so i could have the other ones, blah blah, no one cares". Meaning, someone could love people, be a raging sex feind, and be extroverted but still TECHNICALLY be a schizoid, as those are only 3 of the 9 symtoms. (low sex drive, introversion, and prefers to be alone)

I agree, it would be wise to have a single set of required symtoms for the disorder, as that would make it MUCH more simple, but as things go, you only require 4 of the 9 symtoms, so we get all kinds claiming to schizoid fame.
Eric_Lee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 3705
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:42 am
Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby 13579 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:54 am

Eric_Lee wrote:By those standards, i'd be a sociopath, and we all know that isn't true.


You never know...
13579
 

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby Eric_Lee » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:34 pm

13579 wrote:
Eric_Lee wrote:By those standards, i'd be a sociopath, and we all know that isn't true.


You never know...


I suppose. Only a label though. Anywho, schizoid sounds much less.. intimidating than sociopath. 8)
Eric_Lee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 3705
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:42 am
Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby 13579 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Eric_Lee wrote:
13579 wrote:
Eric_Lee wrote:By those standards, i'd be a sociopath, and we all know that isn't true.


You never know...


I suppose. Only a label though. Anywho, schizoid sounds much less.. intimidating than sociopath. 8)


Do you want to be a sociopath?
13579
 

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby 13579 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Eric_Lee wrote:I was under the impression of, you had to care about what you picked up on for it to be considered empathy, just knowing someones emotions doesn't nessisarily mean you care about them.


Lacking empathy is a big deal I think. If you do lack it you will ultimately notice it, just based on people's reactions or lack of toward you in contrast to their reactions or lack of toward others.

I tend to create a lot of awkward situations when I engage in "everyday conversation". Sometimes people I previously talked to for my own purposes come up to me on the street or in the mall and begin talking--"how are you"--and I just don't know how to reciprocate their random need to talk. They have no clearly defined goal, they just want to talk. It drives me nuts because it discredits me when I come back to them for something; they're all distant and unresponsive. I now see these "conversations" as tests and if I pass I can continue to use the examiners.

This shouldn't be a problem when I get out of school because I can just study social interaction like I study biology or psychology and master it like any other discipline. In fact, I look forward to that day because being able to pick up on the nuances of social interaction can really boost your sway over people. But right now it is just a nuisance. It's like "I'll come to you, ###$ off!"
Last edited by 13579 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
13579
 

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby Eric_Lee » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:01 pm

13579 wrote:Do you want to be a sociopath?


Nope.

And yes, chris, i agree on your bit about empathy.. it is very troublesome indeed. A lot of undeeded explanations, lies, and awkward moments.

I'm usually fine in just face to face conversations.. but sadly, only those who interest me are worth talking to, so very often i'll make enemys without even knowing it.. purely because i just naturally disregard people.. and generally people don't like to be disregarded.
Eric_Lee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 3705
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:42 am
Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby anasthasia » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:06 pm

13579 wrote:If you really want to know who you are, just ask yourself "why am I doing this and what do I want out of it".

If your answer is, "I don't know, does it matter?", you're a schizoid.

If your answer is, "I want to rule the world, or at least a portion of it", you're a psychopath.

If your answer is, "I am scared", you're an avoidant.

If your answer is, "I want attention...I want them to love me", you're a narcissist.

If your answer is different every three hours you're a borderline.


And what if you say version of two possible answers added there together? Like "I don't know, I am scared... or other possible variant?
anasthasia
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:33 pm
Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby 13579 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:14 pm

anasthasia wrote:And what if you say version of two possible answers added there together? Like "I don't know, I am scared... or other possible variant?


There is almost always overlap among the disorders and especially among the clusters, you know that. Plus, the comparison was intended to be explanatory not diagnostic.
13579
 

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby albie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:29 am

Prolonged SPD with result in a near socipathic persona, in my view and experience. You avoid feelings for others because people do not matter, MUST NOT MATTER. Long enough and you will block them totally. But they leak out in other ways. Illness etc.
-------------------------------------------
Mad or above it all?
albie
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:14 pm
Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Schizoid Vs Sociopath

Postby 13579 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Schizoid Personality Disorder and Sociopathy are not comparable illnesses. They are two completely different disorders; in fact, they are polar opposites.

Indifference does not generalize to lack of empathy.

Promiscuity among Sociopaths is in direct opposition to the commonly celibate lifestyle of the Schizoid.

Solitary activities commonly attributed to the Schizoid are an uncommon attribute in Sociopaths. In fact, Sociopaths tend to be very social.

Indifference in Schizoids is a public observation, not a fact of their thinking. That schizoids have a hidden thirst for social interaction and relationships repeatedly breaks through in therapy sessions.

The loss of affect in Schizoids is not organic like it is in Sociopathy, it is a defense mechanism against an overwhelming emotional environment. Hence, they "lost" it, they never lacked it.

The list goes on, but I do not want to tax your eyes with text.

In short, schizoids are normal humans who turn inward for their needs and pleasure.

They don't have sex with real persons because they can have sex with an imaginary love object inside them.

They don't engage real people because they can just make up characters in their mind; Schizoids have been known to create entire civilizations within themselves.



They are basically avoidants who have given up.
13579
 

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests