Our partner

Apathy and avolition.

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Apathy and avolition.

Postby Treznik » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:11 am

I barely have it in me to give any context. I doubt anyone here is unfamiliar with conditions/symptoms like anhedonia, lethargy etc.. General thoughts on these things? How deep does your apathy go? How do you combat the lack of enthusiasm to do things?
I think sometimes that all of this is simply struggling to balance work and school. Be that as it may, I still have this profound tendency to put things off constantly until finally at the last minute.....
I decide not to do them at all.
Treznik
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Apathy and avolition.

Postby 2ost » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:07 pm

For many years I just lingered around, but found then, what, without SzPD may have been a dream-job. I still don't enjoy it, but managed to get the needed qualifications therein at least and found a workplace, where they seem to tolerate me. I do it, and nearly everything else, because it's better, than the alternatives. But beside working and home… daydreaming, idling, internet (not really out of fun, but to kill time). Thank goodness, there are small moments of joy, from time to time, like a flower on the sidewalk, breaking through the concrete and catching my eye, which helps me to go on. How do I combat the lack of enthusiasm to do things? Out of fear of consequences, if I fight at all.
2ost
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:48 pm

Postby CuteLoneCat » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:49 am

My therapist keeps trying to get me to go out and do things. She claims if I find something to do that is fun for me, that this will give me energy. I just can't imagine getting energy (motivation) from doing an activity.

Has anyone ever experienced feeling more energetic, more enthusiastic after doing something you like?
CuteLoneCat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:48 pm

Postby 1PolarBear » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:32 pm

CuteLoneCat wrote:My therapist keeps trying to get me to go out and do things. She claims if I find something to do that is fun for me, that this will give me energy. I just can't imagine getting energy (motivation) from doing an activity.

Has anyone ever experienced feeling more energetic, more enthusiastic after doing something you like?

Yes, but it's not what will motivate you at first, you need to find another reason.
Eventually you might get there, it's mostly a question of internal training and look at the bright side of things.

You should not try to "imagine" it, you won't be able to do that, it's all in the doing. Pleasure comes from good habits, not the other way around.
1PolarBear
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post