Our partner

Where does being a loner end and a Schizoid begin?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Where does being a loner end and a Schizoid begin?

Postby Esmoke » Sat May 23, 2020 9:20 pm

What are the identifiers they use in the diagnostic process I’ve read a few books on how people with Schizoid disorders have been confused with narcissistic disorders because of the behaviors but the motivation behind the behaviors, in other words the perception of the person with. The PD vs the person interacting with them.

What differentiates someone who is a loner type, you here it all the time with people who flip their wigs and go on a rampage “he seemed nice enough but kept to himself and didn’t really talk to anyone and was alittle strange” surely these aren’t all Schizoid people. Also another question what is your primary motivation for avoiding social interaction is it just disinterest, fear of people’s motives, or a dislike for humans in general?

Thank you for your time Schizoid people of the psychforums I don’t mean to impose on your solitude I’m just a curious soul who is on a quest to inner enlightenment
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Where does being a loner end and a Schizoid begin?

Postby Oblivion » Sun May 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Loners isolate by choice. Schizoids isolate because not to do so would cause stress and discomfort.

Esmoke wrote:What differentiates someone who is a loner type, you here it all the time with people who flip their wigs and go on a rampage “he seemed nice enough but kept to himself and didn’t really talk to anyone and was alittle strange” surely these aren’t all Schizoid people.

These people are either sociopathic or psychotic. The news media carelessly applies the 'loner' term because they seem to be conditioned to. Headlines and news bites must be simple and brief. Pulling off a mass shooting would probably entail too much social interaction/exposure for a schizoid to bother.

what is your primary motivation for avoiding social interaction

Mostly disinterest, although that disinterest is a camouflage for anxiety. Perhaps feeling disinterest is a way to avoid that anxiety.

Also, social interaction involves a good deal of give-and-take. By give, I mean sharing of and exposing myself to others. I prefer to keep my secrets to myself, and by secrets, I mean just about anything I am thinking/feeling. By sharing, I risk contaminating my inner world with the ugly banality of the outside world. Also, getting back to disinterest, I find most people aren't worthy of hearing what I have to say or think. I feel no need to disclose anything about myself to someone I have no interest in communicating with, ever. Yet when I meet people who I find interesting or worthy of my interest, it's still not easy to share with them. It's like intense shyness but without self-doubt or fear.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Esmoke » Sun May 24, 2020 9:30 pm

I figured the disinterest was a mask for something else or maybe a dissociative process.
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Oblivion » Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 pm

Esmoke wrote:I figured the disinterest was a mask for something else or maybe a dissociative process.

That was just my experience. Others may be different.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun May 31, 2020 8:46 am

Humans are social animals. We require social structure to thrive. One simple example of this is the amount of time it takes for a human child to become self-sufficient. We need a social group to survive.

Therefore, anyone who deliberately isolates themselves from others is abnormal. The only real question is what psychology exists behind this. Some may find that, for whatever psychological reasons, they are more comfortable on their own. However, some are alone because they have a deep-seated anger towards the rest of the world.

Neither are healthy, but one is potentially dangerous to others.

There's a series on UK TV, done by a guy named Ben Fogle, where he spends a week with people who have separated themselves from society and live as hermits. Without exception, every one of them, while not being overtly angry and seemingly mentally sound, have sighted issues as to what caused them to become socially distant.

There's always a psychological reason why; it's never "just a choice".
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:23 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Esmoke » Sun May 31, 2020 11:49 am

I agree, there is always a reason and I’d imagine they are often very similar to the reason schizoids isolate themselves a lot are probably not aware of the true psychology of why they do it. Like seeing the world as a dangerous place or an anger for society because of an inability to connect with people in a normal way. For instance I’ve always been a loner possibly Schizoid or Schizoid like. I do have periods where I feel more social so I’m probably not a true Schizoid but the reason I do it is because at times I don’t like people, I just don’t want anything to do with anyone. Maintaining friendships seems like too much of a burden. I’d agree breaking off from social gatherings is abnormal in itself and is usually a pretty good sign that something is psychologically wrong with someone if it’s a long term pattern
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun May 31, 2020 4:41 pm

Esmoke wrote:I do have periods where I feel more social so I’m probably not a true Schizoid but the reason I do it is because at times I don’t like people, I just don’t want anything to do with anyone. Maintaining friendships seems like too much of a burden.

Have you ever tried to identify what triggered the times of lower social interaction? Do they follow certain events or periods of higher stress?

I’d agree breaking off from social gatherings is abnormal in itself and is usually a pretty good sign that something is psychologically wrong with someone if it’s a long term pattern

Many people do this. People agree to things when they're in a high-energy state but, when it gets closer, they're sat in their underwear watching Netflix, and the logistics of the promise present themselves.

Do you set unreasonably high standards for yourself?
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:23 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 1201236 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:43 pm

I do not believe in the being of loners, and someone in a discussion on Internet saying he is will not draw me to that credence. Yet I grant it is some word, valuative, with little of meaning.

A schizoid is like all, save he has a personality disorder. What that is should be needful knowledge for all here. If I have a brother that lives with me that chides me for bashfulness, and I go to a psychologist, I may have a personality disorder. If he moves away or I go not, I shall not.

In short words, someone is a loner in someones opinion, but there is no outer examination to certify him of it. Someone has a personality disorder if he seeks help from a psychologist and meets the terms.
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Esmoke » Sun May 31, 2020 5:06 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:Have you ever tried to identify what triggered the times of lower social interaction? Do they follow certain events or periods of higher stress?

I haven’t specifically with this particular thing no, it’s a good idea though I’ve worked through a few other triggers in the past with other things but I’ve seen this as less of a problem overall but it is something that causes people I’m in relationships with the most distress by far.

Do you set unreasonably high standards for yourself?

Probably, I typically go into things with a level head [now] with realistic expectations I feel but I can tend to get out in front of myself a lot which leads to a lot of frustration
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby 1PolarBear » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:40 am

You would have to look at the criteria.

One of them is not to react properly to praise and criticism.
Another is the lack of close relationships outside family.
Another not enjoying normal activities other people do, or just any activity.

Esmoke wrote:What differentiates someone who is a loner type, you here it all the time with people who flip their wigs and go on a rampage “he seemed nice enough but kept to himself and didn’t really talk to anyone and was alittle strange” surely these aren’t all Schizoid people.

Probably not. The majority are probably shy, or embarrassed or something else. One of the main difference is that the usual person gets more social as they get more comfortable, while for the schizoid it is the opposite. So a schizoid might not look shy at first, but will eventually disappear.

Esmoke wrote:Also another question what is your primary motivation for avoiding social interaction is it just disinterest, fear of people’s motives, or a dislike for humans in general?

I don't think I am avoiding anything, it just does not happen, and I don't go looking for it.

But if I was in a social situation, the reasons would probably be because I don't know what games people are playing, or if I do, I don't care about it. Or I don't like to have to perform to their expectations and be spied on all the time for bad behavior. In the longer term, having to deal with people intent on causing trouble is the final straw. I just don't think spending your life watching your back for potential idiots or people with bad intent is a way to live, but each to their own. For a lot of people, it seems part of the fun. So I tell people to leave me alone if there is any doubt.
1PolarBear
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post