Our partner

"Spaceship you"

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

"Spaceship you"

Postby emillionth » Sat May 02, 2020 2:17 am

This was labeled as tips for "lockdown productivity", but I think it applies just as well to anyone who "practices social distancing" on a permanent basis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snAhsXyO3Ck

Every day I think about this and I still find it funny and odd how uniquely prepared I am for this bizarre situation, and how everyone else is not. It's not like I've actually been preparing for this event, but I've unknowingly been preparing for it for many years anyway.

I have thought of all of those details and have been practicing it all for some time already, but I still remember that none of it is actually obvious or trivial. It's reassuring to see that someone else who put a lot of thought into it also figured out the exact same principles independently.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: "Spaceship you"

Postby smirks » Sat May 02, 2020 3:59 am

Is that supposed to be a motivational video? I'm two minutes in and I already want to kill myself. And I'm loving isolation, so I can only imagine how the rest of the world is interpreting it.

I feel awful that so much of humanity needs a special blathering of word salad to just exist.

It's just such an annoying quality to behold. And there's so much of it right now as people I guess try to keep a tenuous hold on their sanity.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:12 am

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat May 02, 2020 4:26 am

If you get a chance, provide a synopsis of the YouTube video.
I hate sitting through videos
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Postby emillionth » Sat May 02, 2020 5:30 am

smirks wrote:Is that supposed to be a motivational video?

Nah. That's a guy who obsessively systematizes everything. That's his thing. Being obsessive and systematizing. This is just his latest installment of that. He's a bit too obsessive about "productivity" in particular, but that's just his personal motivation that I don't share. His quirky obsessions lead to interesting thoughts, and his thoroughness usually makes for solid logic.

smirks wrote:I feel awful that so much of humanity needs a special blathering of word salad to just exist.

That's kind of a weird thing to feel awful about.

DaturaInnoxia wrote:If you get a chance, provide a synopsis of the YouTube video.
I hate sitting through videos

"You need structure. Things will go wrong without it, and it doesn't come naturally. It's not as much work if you start early though, and it doesn't take much. Consistency in the way you compartmentalize whatever space you already have is the most important thing. Physical/mental boundaries, cues and associations. Here's a simple way to do it, and here are the trickier traps you'll probably need to watch for. Fill in the blanks as you please."
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby smirks » Sat May 02, 2020 6:20 am

emillionth wrote:st installment of that. He's a bit too obsessive about "productivity" in particular, but that's just his personal motivation that I don't share. His quirky obsessions lead to interesting thoughts, and his thoroughness usually makes for solid logic.

I'm a pretty productive person, but I don't relate to how he specifically goes about it.
When it comes to productivity, for me it's always just been just do the thing that needs to be done. Forget all of this "prime the physical" stuff. Just do the thing. And then, if you can, do the next thing.

I know people rely on all of these systems and philosophies and mantras and hacks to get through the day, but hearing them really irritates me -- all that time wasted on getting in the mood to do things.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby emillionth » Sat May 02, 2020 6:58 am

smirks wrote:all that time wasted on getting in the mood to do things.

Well that's one of the main "potential trap ahead" types of things that he talks about, for good reason. The role of structure is to eliminate that need to force yourself to get into any particular kind of mood to begin with. Any intended mood (or needed mood, like "the mood to sleep") is supposed to be elicited by the structure itself. It's not about one activity leading into another. That's optional. It's about the setting.

If you spend time "getting in the mood to do things", then you really are wasting your time. That's the whole point. The more consistent your structure is, the less you need to think about doing things, and the more you just do them. But if you lack structure, then you need to create it first. And figuring it out when you don't have it isn't an easy task, because you have no baseline to compare to. That's where physical activity enters the scene. It's a reliable anchor.

So it's the opposite of "life hacks", it's foundations. I think it's particularly important for anyone dealing with daily apathy. Because aimlessness tends to average out into more apathy. When you compartmentalize drudgery from enjoyment consistently, you get to actually enjoy the enjoyment, even if it's outweighed by the drudgery on the whole. And you get to get the drudgery done without any expectations that it could or should be enjoyable, you just do it and forget about it.

You don't get that if your subconscious isn't convinced that you're in the right setting for each of those "moods". We're all Pavlov's dogs, and it pays to remember it.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby smirks » Sat May 02, 2020 7:31 am

I don't know that I agree we're all Pavlov's dogs in the sense that one would need to always use classical conditioning techniques to bring about desired behaviour. I don't consider my life very structured in the ways he talks about in the video, but I have no problem getting things done and I have no problem with moods preventing productivity. While I'm sure his technique is helpful for some people, I don't believe that you have to structure your life with a lot of regulation and repetition and compartmentalization to achieve automaticity necessarily. You can still just ignore all of that and get things done.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby emillionth » Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 am

smirks wrote:You can still just ignore all of that and get things done.

Not if you've been suddenly (metaphorically) launched into space recently like most people have, and not if you're like me either. With ADHD and SPD combined, directed productive behavior only happens with a lot of forethoght put into it. Even then, I'd be doomed if I actually aimed to "be a productive person" in any typical sense. I'd be in perpetual "trying to get in the mood" purgatory, as I was for a long period of my life.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat May 02, 2020 10:45 am

I'll agree to needing structure.
I struggle with focus, as well as starting and changing tasks unless it's something I'm really interested in.
Then if I'm insterested in something, I hyperfocus, then it sometimes becomes a compulsion, then I struggle to stop.

It might be interesting to hear suggestions on how to apply cues and associations - I'm already an expert at compartmentalizing though!
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:12 pm

Postby Oblivion » Tue May 05, 2020 2:17 pm

I've spent a lifetime bashing myself guilty for spending my days staring into space and thinkin' 'bout stuff instead of being productive. All attempts to fight my languorous nature have felt not only tiresome or uncomfortable but unnatural. Most people have some kind of drive, be it innate or affected, to do what they do, be it feeding the poor, creating works of art, blowing glass or just generally screwing things up for others.

I am a dreamer. It's what I do. It's my natural inclination. If I subtract the time and energy I use up trying to motivate myself to behave counter to my true nature, I'm left with more time to sit on the couch and stare at the wall without that pall of guilt that inhibits, to a point, my ability to run rampant through my internal landscape. As a result, the dreaming deepens. I get better at it. And every once in a while I can coax some of it out of my head and onto paper. With a few adjustments to my character and early life experience I could have been a philosopher of note. El oh el.

I'm tempted to feel pity for all the dullards locked in their homes who can't stand their own company, but I don't. If the lockdowns ended tomorrow they'd probably be rushing out of their houses to campaign for fascist politicians or to rush to Target to buy supplies for their mentos and diet coke powered dildo YouTube video.

What do most forms of life on earth do all day? They wake up, look around for any threats, go find some food, lie in the sun, propagate their DNA, then repeat. They're okay with that.

As for humans, I think we've got it backwards. Our parents raise us, then they shoo us out the door saying "Life is full of meaning! Go! Find it!" Most of us don't understand what "meaning" is, so off we go, and tainted by an economy-driven society, the best most of us can do is to come back with a list of the 10 Best Dressed Celebrities. Perhaps it's better to look at life as an endless cycle of self-preservation that accomplishes nothing more than the assurance of our own species' continued survival. This way, we can look at the emptiness of existence as something to fill, rather than cull from. Before long, you've got a pointless void that's filled with various collected trinkets that help pass the time and bring you pleasure and help you forget that ultimately, it all leads to the same place: nowhere.

It's in those trinkets that you can find the Meaning Of Your Life. There may be some happiness there, too.

Nihilism does have it's rewards.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:12 pm

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post