Our partner

schizoid or borderline??

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

schizoid or borderline??

Postby MattItaly » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:18 am

"A particular borderline defense is schizoid or autistic fantasy: the subject faces conflicts by taking refuge in daydreaming which coincides with the imagination which is one of the tools of adaptation: it is a way to defend oneself from feelings of impotence, it is a dissociative mode. "

i discovered that I'm borderline, but don't ask me why...

I post it, to stimulate self-analysis for members.
MattItaly
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:49 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: schizoid or borderline??

Postby anathegram » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:53 pm

From context, I would guess that the 'borderline' in question refers to Kernberg's 'borderline level of personality organization', where the sense of self is fleeting and fragmented. The borderline level would include several personality disorders, including SPD and BPD.

It's a model that isn't very common any more, to my knowledge, but is perhaps still useful at times.
anathegram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:49 am

Re: schizoid or borderline??

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 am

So it's a tool for adaptation / coping mechanism

Self Analysis:
I go into daydream worlds (sometimes by choice and other times not by choice) to avoid something painful or retraumatizing going on in my life - or depression (it stimulates endorphins I believe).  
It meets a need.

The idea you quoted of compensating for "impotence" would be meeting a need too.

From a functional perspective, what other reasons (beyond meeting a need) would there be for someone to enter into schizoid fantasy?
^ Or have a disordered personality for that matter? (yes, I get the genetics theory, I just don't buy it on its own - and I think the diathesis stress model still would stem from attempts to cope)

There are a lot of negative connotations for some mental disorders and character traits (such as autism, schizophrenia, borderline, sense of "impotence") while other disorders and traits seem to be a little more acceptable.

My self analysis is that I really enjoy stepping into different roles or aspects of myself and playing them up.
It gives me release.
Once I achieve release, I can move on to the next one.
^
Because of this, I also relate to the borderline "fragmented" self; however, I still know who I am, and I don't experience emptiness.

When I'm comfortable with someone, I want physical closeness and I enjoy being around them a lot - even if it's comfortable silence or me and them doing our own thing.

That being said, I find almost all people draining, so being alone is much more enjoyable.

My intolerance isn't for being alone, it's for being uncomfortable or stuck unhappy or feeling obligated to entertain people.

I'm going to have to read up on this Kernberg now too.

My self analysis is also that I'm at the point that I no longer care what dx(s) I fit best.

It's addressing the things that interfere with my quality of life that's important to me - but that can be slow going

I relate to going into dissociative modes too - more than almost anyone I've ever met in real life, but it seems to be quite trendy

Is there a reason you're encouraging our self-analysis?

Can you post the source for your quote, MattItaly?

Are you interpreting your quote's talk of needing to "defend oneself from feelings of impotence" as the core problem among borderlines?
^
And do you interpret it as them saying that it is most linked to borderlines out of the numerous spectrums of the PDs?

Also, do you know if they talk about the dissociative modes entrenched within DID, RAD, Disorganized Attachment, Complex-PTSD, PTSD, Adjustment Disorders, Depersonalization / Derealization Disorder, and many others?

I'd love to read more on this source.
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:49 pm

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post