Our partner

schizoid disorder + hypagogic paralysis (birth trauma?)

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

schizoid disorder + hypagogic paralysis (birth trauma?)

Postby MattItaly » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm

hi, does anyone like me suffer from schizoid disorder and have hypnagogic paralysis (with or without hallucinations)? I'm interested in verifying what percentage of schizoids have these paralysis to reinforce the hypothesis that schizoid disorder originates from a "birth-trauma". (obviously, the concept that subsequent events can exacerbate the SPD, remains valid).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

(on the page in Italian, it is written that paralysis can evoke the first trauma, but there is no source).

Greetings from Italy!
MattItaly
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: schizoid disorder + hypagogic paralysis (birth trauma?)

Postby anathegram » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 pm

I've experienced this on at least two occasions, once with hallucinations. Both times I felt like there was an intruder in my room; some kind of ghost, in the case of the hallucinatory one.

What's the connection with birth? I've never heard of this before.
anathegram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Postby MattItaly » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:03 pm

anathegram, it seems that hypnagogic paralysis evokes the passage through the vaginal canal during childbirth. unfortunately, the Italian page of wikipedia does not mention the source.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paralisi_nel_sonno

*mod edit*

"Some hypotheses, without any scientific basis, affirm that sleep paralysis is a reference to the first trauma experienced. The transition from a situation of total calm to a stressful and completely new one. Passing through the canal of the vagina, the fetus is immobilized until the total escape. During sleep (situation of total calm) our brain can "recall" that experience and relive it."
Last edited by Tyler on Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not type in a non-English language
MattItaly
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby CuteLoneCat » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:34 pm

I vaguely remember having this a few times long ago, in my teens or early adulthood.
But nothing in the Iast 10 years.

I'm not an expert but I cannot imagine one single traumatic event to be the cause of a personality disorder because personality is not formed in one single moment. I believe PD's are formed through repeated trauma, and birth trauma could be part of that.

Apparently I was a crying baby (baby that cries a lot for no apparent reason, I don't know if it is the correct term in English). I do not believe a baby would cry for no reason, so I figured birth trauma or prenatal trauma could have been the reason. But it could just as easily been something simple like formula milk that wasn't good for me (because it was mentioned that it stopped around when I started solid foods)
CuteLoneCat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby anathegram » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:21 am

This isn't strictly on-topic but it seems relevant to the discussion: does anyone know what Harry Guntrip means by the "fantasy of regression to the womb"? It's meant figuratively, but I don't understand what it's meant to be figurative of.
anathegram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Postby MattItaly » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:51 am

CuteLoneCat , i wrote it...

"(obviously, the concept that subsequent events can exacerbate the SPD, remains valid)."

but, many people that have multiple traumatic events haven't SPD, maybe there wasn't a traumatic childbirth: if schizoid population have sleep paralysis, can reinforce this theory.

but the reverse is also valid: that is, if many subjects who have sleep paralysis are also schizoid, it means that it is very likely that there is a trauma in common.
MattItaly
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:00 am

Edit: deleted my comment (it was too late to actually delete the post) - trying to bring my tangent-ing down to a dull roar
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:55 am

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post