Our partner

Do Individuals Here Have Inner Monologues?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Do Individuals Here Have Inner Monologues?

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:43 am

I learnt a while back that not everyone has an internal monologue.

Do Individuals Here Have Internal Monologues?

I'd like to hear what it's like not to have one.

If people with schizo symptoms have over-active thought lives (I'm assuming they do), I'd think it would be especially uncommon for them not to have inner monologues

I'm assuming it's the same as Vygotsky's "Inner Speech"?

https://www.iflscience.com/brain/people ... monologue/
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do Individuals Here Have Inner Monologues?

Postby Oblivion » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:47 pm

I have inner dialogues, but not monologues. My thoughts are abstract and condensed, I suspect most people think like this.

When problem solving, planning or working out issues related to creative projects, I often slow down my thoughts into proper sentences in order to remember or make something stick.

As far as inner dialogues go, it's hard to explain. It's something like acknowledging the different parts of my consciousness and assigning each of them different voices, but not in a literal sense: it's my head, I know who's talking.

*The voice in my head that knows the right thing to do but always chooses otherwise.

*The voice in my head that knows the correct course of action but is rarely given priority.

*The angry, petulant child who I occasionally allow to babble unchecked because it makes me feel better.

*The voice of reason who tries to get everyone else to work together or at least slow down, consider things, and act appropriately.

They're always bickering. It's when two or more of them come to an agreement that I can get things done.

I also suspect I have a kind of inner idiot savant who ignores everything but and keeps a kind of running tab on (mostly) external matters, but that's something different.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 am

Postby Ashlar » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:41 pm

Going by the description on wikipedia, yes. I think it's somewhat of a language related thing, and I think it first kicked in for me at around 4 or 5 in a noticeable way.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:25 am

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:35 pm

Very interesting, thank you for the responses.

* The complex different inner dialogues vaguely remind me of inner parts and internal family systems work. I need to look back into that for myself.

* Interesting to connect it to language, as was brought up with two languages --- and up until I lost the one from over 10 years of not using it, I could 'think' in both languages even though english was my go-to.
I'd forgotten all about that!

^
And if I was in a place where I had to alternate a lot, I'd sometimes accidentally speak the wrong language at first without realizing.

I went to an english speaking 12 step meeting in a non-english speaking country. When I got there someone asked, "Do you realize this is an english speaking meeting?"
I answered, "yes" still in the wrong language before I realized I wasn't speaking english. I had jet lag though, so I was even less bright than I normally am.

* I've also heard some people 'think' primarily in pictures/images.

That would be amazing
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby smirks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 pm

Hmm....I'm not sure my thoughts particularly run through my sound processor unless i'm thinking about something that I am going to say or write. I think it's a mix. My thoughts are visual, audiovisual, tactile, proprioceptive, sometimes have organizational structure. So, I'm not always talking to myself in my head. Sometimes I'm drawing myself a picture, or playing myself a video, or feeling a movement or sensation, or sometimes it's very abstract and organizational, like I visualize how things are connected together.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:25 am

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:50 pm

^
Nice. I think that leaves me a tad jealous
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby emillionth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:32 pm

I have an inner MP3 player. Various forms of inner mono/dialogues are sometimes there, sometimes not, but what stays consistent is that, when I'm not particularly thinking of something or focusing on something (even if I may be trying to), there's a song playing on repeat in my head. If it happens to be a song that I don't remember well, then it's maddening. Not hard to change the track though, so that much isn't particularly problematic.

It's pretty common that I hear or even just think of a word (sometimes a pretty common and mundane one) and then hours later I notice that there's a song playing in my head where the chorus starts with that word, or something like that. The same happens with any type of sound. It doesn't have to be a sequence of notes, it can be a single tone. Like if there's a song that has waterdrop sounds, and I hear just one drop of water falling and it sounds specifically similar enough to me, it can easily be enough to bring that song to the forefront. It can be songs I haven't heard or listened to in years, not uncommon.

This still applies even right as I'm waking up. It's usually a song I've been listening to, but sometimes it's a totally surprising one to me.

It's usually a song with some kind of "anxious energy", for lack of a better description. Right now it's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTO3tja7uaQ

This is one of the things that make it very clear to me that I really do have ADHD with a proper H. It definitely both affects and is affected by my mood, and shapes to a significant degree my sense of where I am in space and (especially) time.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:25 am

Postby Manners73 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:01 pm

I don't know if I do have an inner monologue.

I know that from the moment I wake up in the morning to going to sleep at night I have songs constantly playing in my head.

I also know that I have a paranoid little imp inside my head who's suspicious of absolutely everyone around me and tells me not to trust anyone. I try and tell him to stop but he just likes to play.

There are others in there as well but none of them really monologue as in drone on and on and on and on and on and on.

If they did I'd just tell them to shut the ###$ up.
England's Glory
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Oblivion » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:09 pm

emillionth wrote:I have an inner MP3 player. Various forms of inner mono/dialogues are sometimes there, sometimes not, but what stays consistent is that, when I'm not particularly thinking of something or focusing on something (even if I may be trying to), there's a song playing on repeat in my head.

I get that. Interestingly, a song can be "playing" and still slip out of the forefront of my consciousness: I'll be aware of it for the first few minutes, but if I get distracted some way, it will continue playing, but I will barely be aware of it. Once the distraction passes and I return to the default state I was in, the song will resume as if it never stopped. It's almost as if the music plays in real time. I attribute this to the inner idiot-savant that has, on occasions far too often to be chalked up to coincidence, allowed me to open a book to the exact page I was looking for or to know exactly what time my clock will read when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Sometimes songs hijack my head. If I'm in the grocery store and am some soft rock song I never much cared for is playing, I'll keep hearing it for the rest of the afternoon. I consider this to be a nefarious form of psychic surgery. It's intrusive, manipulative and should be illegal.

This still applies even right as I'm waking up. It's usually a song I've been listening to, but sometimes it's a totally surprising one to me.

Heed the lyrics! It could be your subconscious trying to tell you something.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:25 am

Postby emillionth » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Oblivion wrote:Once the distraction passes and I return to the default state I was in, the song will resume as if it never stopped.

Well that is definitely different from what it goes like in my head. There's no such (suspended) continuity. It just goes back to the same point in the song each time, as far as I can tell.

Heed the lyrics! It could be your subconscious trying to tell you something.

The lyrics, probably not. But the song itself, yeah, I think it's not entirely random. It doesn't necessarily have a deeper meaning though. Sometimes it's just that the weather changed in a particular way, and it reminds me of a previous time when the weather changed in a similar way, and that song is just part of that mental/emotional landscape associated with that time. "My sense of where I am in space and (especially) time", like I said.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post