Our partner

Schizoid and Avoidant anyone?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Schizoid and Avoidant anyone?

Postby ghostScript » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:05 am

Hello, so this is my first post here. I have found very little information on comorbidity of these two disorders, so i would very much like to know what are your experiences with it?
What I am interested in, is the aspect of high neuroticism which we see with avpd but low with schizoid....two disorders are theoretically similar in some ways but very different in others. As having both and very confused insight in my own feelings, i struggle to grasp how these two can be combined. Don't get me wrong I do understand them separately, i read a lot... But found almost no literature on how it is if you have both.
How can you have fear as your primary emotion, but everything else is somehow hard to feel? I apologize for my lengthy post and the confusion. Your input is much appreciated!
ghostScript
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:07 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Schizoid and Avoidant anyone?

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:48 am

I'm curious what exactly it is about having "fear as your primary emotion, but everything else is somehow hard to feel," that confuses you?

Also, how do you view causation of personality disorders?
- Adaptive/environment - coping response/taught?
- Being born that way?
- Gradual but both?
- Triggered onset by stressor(s)?

Not related to having Schizoid PD and Avoidant PD, but when I was on high doses of antipsychotics, all I felt was anxiety.

No enjoyable emotions, nor other distressing emotions like anger or depression (unless mixed with anxiety into confusing agitation).

It seemed like the boil-over of emotions could only come out as anxiety and more psychosis.

*I'm not suggesting it is a good idea for others to off their medications.
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Postby smirks » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:06 am

Well, there are two schools of thought here...

So, pre-DSM-III, schizoid PD, schizotypal PD and avoidant PD were considered the same disorder. Some people are still mad about it.

Anyway, as you probably know, both schizoid PD and avoidant PD sufferers typically want to spend time alone, but the reasons they give for wanting to be alone are very different. Schizoids typically say they do not like spending time with others, while avoidants do want relationships with others but fear ridicule or rejection. Another contrast is that avoidants seem really sensitive to criticism while schizoids seem unaffected by praise or criticism.

So, we have some dramatic opposites.

Some psychoanalysts like to argue that schizoids are really just avoidants who are denying or repressing their fears of abandonment and judgement, but personally, I do not have any respect for psychoanalytics.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:07 pm

Postby WinnieThePooh » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Personality disorders are not that precisely defined. Different schools in psychology have different terminology, so what is called "schizoid" for one school may be called "avoidant" for another. The descriptions in the DSM are based on symptoms and behavior and are more about how these conditions present themselves to others rather than how they are experienced by the people afflicted.

In some schools of modern psychoanalysis, such as objects relations theory, schizoid personality disorder would include avoidant personality disorder. The difference between the classical schizoids
and the avoidants is that avoidants are more aware of their longing for connectedness. But "pure" schizoids are also difficult to study because they would never voluntarily seek the help of a counselor.
WinnieThePooh
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 pm

Postby donbretheo » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:39 pm

What is your opinion on this diagram?

From this paper:
https://pepperdine.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p15093coll2/id/422/

I am diagnosed with both SPD and AvPD. And there is some overlapping symptoms, no doubt. The above suggests the symptoms manifest on a continuum, where SPD = AvPD+, and StPD = SPD+

On this scale I would have some avoidant, most of schizoid, and none of schizotypal symptoms. In my opinion, most of what are called PD symptoms stem from the same maladaptative survival strategy that developed in infancy. The original wound is the same but individuals can have more or less corrective experiences later in childhood, and we all end up somewhere on the scale. No one escapes childhood with zero pathological traits, but some of us are lucky enough to be impaired for life. :)
donbretheo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby CuteLoneCat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:38 pm

This is another way of putting PD's on a continuum:

main-qimg-0ac632961bdd781b9887b5714d51fc96.jpg

I kinda like it better because it goes deeper than just making a scale based on severity of symptoms, and also this picture feels wright to me because I feel I don't belong in the world.

Picture from here:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-personality-disorders
(It's the answer from Jaroslaw Jurecki)
CuteLoneCat
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby emillionth » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 am

donbretheo wrote:What is your opinion on this diagram?

Wishy-washy.

I have none of the light green traits (or maybe "half" of one of those), most of the dark green ones, and most of the brown ones. I don't live what people would usually call "a normal life" (well... except for these days, when my lifestyle is the norm :P) and I'm only very marginally integrated in society. But I'm able to live independently, I'm content with my life, and I consider myself lucky even on bad days (because I know bad days are temporary). I'm yet to hear of someone with AvPD who would say the same.

To be fair, I guess the word "severity" is very often used to mean "degree of inability to integrate into society". But that's because psychology in practice tends to be more concerned with making people "productive" rather than "happy". Those two things don't always align. So that usage of the word is deceptive.

donbretheo wrote:The above suggests the symptoms manifest on a continuum, where SPD = AvPD+, and StPD = SPD+

Yes, and I think that's what's most wishy-washy about it. SPD can be seen as "in between" AvPD and StPD in many ways, yes, but that's just because the concept of SPD in itself is wishy-washy, so it ends up applying to different things that only look similar.

AvPD and StPD aren't degrees of the same thing. StPD is very literally a less severe variant of schizophrenia. It can be complicated or alleviated by someone's upbringing or life circumstances, but it's highly genetic.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:07 am

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post