Our partner

Virtual Worlds

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Virtual Worlds

Postby Ashlar » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Anyone try any of this VR chat or similar things? I have not yet, but I fell into the rabbit hole of watching youtube videos (first humorous) of people playing in these online games.

Right now, and in the past, I've been a bit of an MMO junkie. I play really heavily, usually in a mid-tier guild where I'm the strongest or among the strongest players, but I tend to mostly stay off voice and chatting until raid time. It's a lot of work, but since they made Classic I've been really happy knowing there's a finite end to the game and the rat race eventually ends. It's a lot like finally being given what I wanted.

These VR chat things, from what I've seen, seem very oriented towards younger people and certain kinds of socialization. That said, I have a few ideas I'd really like to try, though with my skill set that might be expensive.

1) I kinda want to make some of my "inner worlds". Like build them as levels. Hang out in them. And if I so choose, invite other people to look at them.

2) I also want to make a couple of the avatars I have in my mind. The characters I've made that most specifically reflect what I want. My robot titan. My D&D characters.

3) It seems like there's some room to make minigames within the game. I feel like once I knew what was possible, I'd be fairly good at this. But I imagine it takes a lot of time and effort...
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Virtual Worlds

Postby Nuance » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:59 am

I haven't myself. Nor have I sought any vicarious experience through YouTube. The reason is precisely because I too have been a bit of an "MMO junkie" in the past. The reason I avoid VR chat is the same reason I moved away from, and now stay away from MMOs; I can't stand the obligation to "stay connected" to the people I've met. Especially since I always roll healer (and a damn fine one if I may) so there isn't just a desire to have me around, but almost a demand for my presence.

The building of these intricate inner worlds is a concept that has never really resonated with me, either. Maybe I'm just not a creative enough person; I prefer to experience others' works.

While I'm not a fan, have you tried Minecraft, Terraria, or some other creative world building game? Seems to me like it would be a fair bit easier than what I assume would involve some level of 3D modelling and/or texture work.

On a related note, have you ever given any thought to writing and self-publishing a novel of some sort? If you want to build and share an inner world of yours; I would imagine you would have a much greater degree of creative control with a much lower barrier to entry.
Nuance
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Postby 1201236 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:29 pm

I am uncertain of your meaning, but no I have not examined virtual reality. I looked once at video tape online of an MMORPG of virtual reality; it seemed the same as others. Of MMORPGs the only one I would play is Project '99, but even that is sorry. When you speak of an audience of youth, you describe it seems every MMORPG on Internet. Since each needs several hundred players at least, they may not be good games. A MUD can flower with a dozen or so. Howbeit these are rusting because of a lack of players; only a few remain, and these are Armaggedon, Shadows of Isildur, Harshlands, Haven, and maybe others. A text game may be the reverse of virtual reality though; I must grant I have no conceit of what virtual reality is. Does one wear a helmet over his eyes and see through a screen? In what ways is it unlike the ordinary MMORPG?
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Tyler » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:40 pm

While I've not done the VR thing myself, I do have a virtual world in The Sims. VR is way too expensive for my budget, and there's not enough to use a VR headset in my opinion to justify the price, or even owning one.

And I say that, and I think an Oculus Rift is like, $800? Somewhere around there. I've spent at least that between SIms 3 and 4 with all the expansions and micro-transactions. I'm against that everywhere else, but EA and Maxis have their hands in my wallet, and I can't stop. I just told another user over PM that its the ultimate form of escapism for me. Even if I don't create myself, I make people and I live their lives, and it takes me to their world. It lets me live out the life I want to live. The life of being successful, having a family, owning my own house, these are things I'd love to accomplish, but probably never will. Those games allow me to accomplish them, and I have thousands of hours in just those two games. I don't regret spending the money on the games for a second, because I've had such enjoyment, long lasting enjoyment, out of these games, and it fills a void in my life. I've slowly been getting more and more depressed with everything. I had a boyfriend for years, and it fell apart. I work 9pm to 5am every day, five days a week. I have no way of finding someone or doing anything with my life. The Sims allows me to do that, as does my fiction writing.

I'm sorry, I just went completely off topic... Sorry again, but I felt like I needed to do that for my own sake...
Email me if you want a doughnut
Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck ( • ̀ω•́ )
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Lucid » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:10 pm

I don't have Virtual Reality gear but I would love to explore the worlds within them one day. I am like Tyler, I build with the Sims a lot. I often enjoy building rooms and buildings as an exercise not only in creativity but environments I can think back on as well. I also like to make the environments I think of as somewhat tangible and the Sims provides a great way to do that.

I also have built altars and even castles through Terraria. I love pixel aesthetic a lot so Terraria was great for me to build with. Same with Stardew, I love decorating the houses within that game.

As for other games, I never learned how to build through the engine, but Worlds Online was another place I often liked as it provided a lot of retro worlds from people in the 90s and I enjoyed traversing through them. It truly did feel like I was immersed in somewhere new. Rarely games do that to me, so this was a pleasant experience for me. There was also a girl on there who was looking to implement a way to make the worlds onto the VR platform but i am unsure of the status of that..
Diagnosed: Aspergers
Lucid
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post