Our partner

Existential depression

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Existential depression

Postby salles » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:02 pm

A relatively new term in psychology.
Symptoms:
-An intense or obsessive interest in the bigger meaning of life and death. The interest in exploring this may override a person’s enjoyment and engagement with other day-to-day activities.
-Extreme distress, anxiety, and sadness about the society they live in, or the overall state of the world.
-A belief that changes in anything are both impossible and futile.
-Increasingly becoming, and feeling, disconnected, isolated, and separate from other people.
-Cutting ties with other people because they feel like connections with others are meaningless or shallow and they are on a completely different level.
-Low motivation and energy levels to do anything they would normally do.
-Questioning the purpose, point or meaning of anything, and everything, in life.
-Suicidal thoughts and feelings.

How would one make a differential diagnosis between this and schizoid PD ?
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Existential depression

Postby smirks » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:52 pm

Probably the intense, obsessive interest in the bigger meaning of life being the predominant motivator.

We do have a lot of schizoids on this forum who are really interested in philosophy. I know I'm not obsessed with the meaning of life though.

I'm sure they'll have high comorbidity.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Postby Oblivion » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Why link schizoid PD with depression, though?
Kids need to know they suck.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Postby d3xx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:27 am

salles wrote:How would one make a differential diagnosis between this and schizoid PD ?

A lot of SPD suffers have an appreciation of the "big picture". Its part of why they feel that normal social interaction is petty. Our lack of motivation would make being 'obsessive' about it unusual though.
We'd only feel anxious about society if we are pressured to interact with it. That anxiety is more of an AvPD thing.
The disconnection/separation thing is very SPD. As is low motivation/energy. And the nihilism.
d3xx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:01 am

Postby salles » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:47 am

Oblivion wrote:Why link schizoid PD with depression, though?

I didn't though.
Existential depression comes across as different to the usual garden variety. One difference is, regular depression supposedly lasts for weeks to months, rather than continuously.

d3xx wrote:A lot of SPD suffers have an appreciation of the "big picture". Its part of why they feel that normal social interaction is petty. Our lack of motivation would make being 'obsessive' about it unusual though

Good point
d3xx wrote:We'd only feel anxious about society if we are pressured to interact with it. That anxiety is more of an AvPD thing

okay.
smirks wrote:We do have a lot of schizoids on this forum who are really interested in philosophy. I know I'm not obsessed with the meaning of life though.

You are lucky. I go through phases of needing answers, but there are none, unless one chooses to surrender to a particular belief. The theories of philosophers never cut it for me.
smirks wrote:I'm sure they'll have high comorbidity.

Yes, I think they would.
Schizoid PD is difficult to diagnose because of its co-morbidity with a lot of other PDs . I am always surprised when I hear someone is diagnosed with it.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cholls » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 am

salles wrote:
Oblivion wrote:Why link schizoid PD with depression, though?

I didn't though.
Existential depression comes across as different to the usual garden variety. One difference is, regular depression supposedly lasts for weeks to months, rather than continuously.

. . .

You are lucky. I go through phases of needing answers, but there are none, unless one chooses to surrender to a particular belief. The theories of philosophers never cut it for me.

Isn't that a good thing? I mean it.

Essentially, I suffered from existential depression for most of my life, since age 8, until some time within the past 10 years.

"We are all faced with a series of great opportunities - brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems."
-- John W. Gardner

Some (of course, not all) of the hardest program bugs to find would be easily spotted if we simply removed our own assumptions. While the shame can be excruciating, few things open more vistas than being hit in the face with what a know-it-all, narrow-minded, delusional, and terrified fool I am.

And the beauty of it is that maintaining an optimal mindset requires eternal vigilance. All of this I've learned from living with my husband who really, really knows where it's at.

salles wrote:Yes, I think they would.
Schizoid PD is difficult to diagnose because of its co-morbidity with a lot of other PDs . I am always surprised when I hear someone is diagnosed with it.

Especially because it takes a "non-" (such as many shrinks, I assume) a LONG time to even begin to comprehend what it means to be schizoid. I've tried for over a year, and my poor schizoid friend is still (patiently) correcting many of my assumptions. I keep wondering when he'll get the sh*ts of it, but he's still plugging away at our correspondence. He must be sh*t bored!

I'm starting to think that it might be as hard for a "non-" to comprehend schizoid reality as it would be for a schizoid to unambiguously feel love. After dead-or-alive, I wonder whether it might be among those ultimate binary either-or situations.

So, please have patience with us nons; we're trying.
Cholls
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Postby Cholls » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:57 am

How I tend to "address" my "problems"--all of 'em, because difficulty level defaults to emotional overreaction/life-or-death:

https://i.imgur.com/KqCAX7O.gifv
Cholls
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Postby Akuma » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:07 pm

salles wrote:How would one make a differential diagnosis between this and schizoid PD ?

Not at all because existential depression is not an established psychological or medical term or diagnosis.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:01 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby smirks » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm

salles wrote:You are lucky. I go through phases of needing answers, but there are none, unless one chooses to surrender to a particular belief. The theories of philosophers never cut it for me.

The thing that got me over it is realizing that you get to make your own answer up. :)

Why are you here? You get to decide.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Postby salles » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Cholls wrote:And the beauty of it is that maintaining an optimal mindset requires eternal vigilance. All of this I've learned from living with my husband who really, really knows where it's at.

Yes you mentioned something similar before and I liked it, then forgot.
Apparently enlightened people run out of challenges through which they can expand their state of being. Perhaps that is why Buddhists come across as being rather bored.
Cholls wrote:How I tend to "address" my "problems"--all of 'em, because difficulty level defaults to emotional overreaction/life-or-death:
https://i.imgur.com/KqCAX7O.gifv

:)
hmm.. I think you have more grace than I.

smirks wrote:
salles wrote:You are lucky. I go through phases of needing answers, but there are none, unless one chooses to surrender to a particular belief. The theories of philosophers never cut it for me.

The thing that got me over it is realizing that you get to make your own answer up. :)

Why are you here? You get to decide.

Could be tricky if one has no moral compass, or an addictive nature.
What you said is kind of powerful. I have to think about it. :=)
Akuma wrote:

Not at all because existential depression is not an established psychological or medical term or diagnosis.

It could be psychobabble and never make it to the dSM, but I find it interesting, regardless.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post