Our partner

How Best To Handle Negative Daydreams

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

How Best To Handle Negative Daydreams

Postby CityMouse » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 am

I tried ignoring them but they upped the ante. The figments resorted to being racist, which, as someone who's colorblind, I thought was going too far. Besides, it's as if it's actually happening in real life. My brain can't distinguish between internal and external stimuli. So there's no point in being solitary if I'm still dealing with difficult and toxic "people."

So how to tackle the daydreams?

1. Mindfulness - focus on the breath throughout the day
2. Change my thoughts to positive ones
3. Distract myself
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How Best To Handle Negative Daydreams

Postby Schizological1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Schizoid day dreams make up for loneliness, you can solve loneliness in therapy
Schizological1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:31 am

Postby ZeroZ » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:32 pm

*Not Schizoid* Allegedly, but do get very powerful daydreams sometimes. Some are very positive, imagining doing things I have always wanted to, to incredibly violent ones, to constant negative internal chatter and judgement.

Sometimes I make myself abit sick and catch myself going to far, triggering paranoia or anxiety. Outside of that I just accept everything I think about as part of me, or a process of dealing with external issues and stress, even if in a disordered way. If they don’t have a negative consequence, Me personally I don’t concern myself that much with them.

I’m not sure if schizoids daydreams can blur reality and imagination, like a break in reality like you would see in schizophrenia I could see that being a big problem. I wouldn’t beat yourself up for having ones you don’t actively believe in.
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:31 am

Postby Cholls » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:32 pm

CityMouse wrote:I tried ignoring them but they upped the ante. The figments resorted to being racist, which, as someone who's colorblind, I thought was going too far. Besides, it's as if it's actually happening in real life. My brain can't distinguish between internal and external stimuli. So there's no point in being solitary if I'm still dealing with difficult and toxic "people."

So how to tackle the daydreams?

1. Mindfulness - focus on the breath throughout the day
2. Change my thoughts to positive ones
3. Distract myself

What you grapple with regularly sounds much more challenging than anything I have had to tame within myself. That said, here are some things which have worked and are working for me:

Lately, I've been doing the Isha Kriya meditation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxgD9En6Vso

I have followed the above practice for 17 days expecting nothing, simply 'showing up'. However, for the past few days, my productivity has increased appreciably. This is saying a lot, as I am normally a pitifully disorganized procrastinator who keeps erratic hours.

This is by no means my first attempt at meditation--I have repeatedly failed in the past because the challenge of keeping my mind still put me off. The fact that the Isha Kriya video is set to a voice helps immensely. I'm using it to get in the habit of stilling my mind twice a day. After many months, I plan to wean myself from the video and revisit the meditation practices which I found too hard years ago.

Personally, I believe that all contemporary famous gurus, especially since the 1960s, are charlatans and manipulators cashing in on a venerable tradition. To me, Sadhguru is a pleasant-looking man with an agreeable speaking voice--nothing more. However, the twice daily habit of sitting cross-legged, spine erect, breathing deeply, accompanied by the voice in the video, and largely unencumbered by thoughts, is something I look forward to which calms my mind.

Behaving well with the body has frequently helped me to bring my mind under control. You might find Isha Kriya meditation beneficial too.

The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Now ), also helped me immensely. It's pleasurable to read, accessible without being dumbed-down in any way, and presumes zero knowledge of spiritual practices. I bought a used copy from Amazon.com for under $10. Although I normally have a hard time concentrating long enough to make adequate progress reading, I managed to finish the entire book and found every morsel worthwhile. If you have a library card, your local public library almost certainly owns it.

Many times, experienced meditation practitioners have advised against "ignoring" intrusive thoughts. Instead, they have advised passively "watching" such thoughts--neither ignoring nor engaging with them--just watching them appear, pass by, and vanish. Getting in the habit of simply quietly watching them.

I believe that the ultimate function of this is to wean us of the deeply-entrenched habit of identifying with our thoughts. Illusory thoughts.
Cholls
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 am

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post