Our partner

do you think a "secret schizoid's" position is better?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

do you think a "secret schizoid's" position is better?

Postby Schizological1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:18 pm

a secret schizoid is in a way denies his illness, i think it comes from a desperate place because he believes life can be better or maybe he believes he can be "normal", i wonder if that puts him in a better position when coming to therapy, because he still believes in a change
Schizological1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:55 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: do you think a "secret schizoid's" position is better?

Postby smirks » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:44 pm

The facade of a secret schizoid is more like a coping mechanism -- it's more functional than desperation. Being a secret schizoid means the ability to have a job, a livelihood, and independence to a lot of people. The facade is not a genuine thing. It's not an attempt at having normal relationships.

I don't think it would necessarily be an asset in therapy. It could be a barrier pretty easily, if the schizoid doesn't want to drop the facade.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 am

Postby Schizological1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:14 pm

smirks wrote:The facade of a secret schizoid is more like a coping mechanism -- it's more functional than desperation. Being a secret schizoid means the ability to have a job, a livelihood, and independence to a lot of people. The facade is not a genuine thing. It's not an attempt at having normal relationships.

I don't think it would necessarily be an asset in therapy. It could be a barrier pretty easily, if the schizoid doesn't want to drop the facade.

So the secret schizoid is in worse shape than 'regular'? Since he believes he has to falsely act more to get his needs? based on what you said...

Or maybe its the ability of containing the frustration of being more false than other schizoid
Schizological1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:55 am

Postby smirks » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:07 am

I think it's probably a situation where we can't generalize one way or another.

I don't think you can necessarily predict beliefs from behaviour.

Probably the biggest issue with having SPD is the inability to form a functional support system. People with SPD do this either by refusing outright to have any relationships at all (overt), or choosing to have surface relationships with established barriers to intimacy (covert). Either way, there will be difficulty establishing a trust relationship with a therapist -- it just might manage itself differently.

I am wondering now about whether beliefs are important at all for treating SPD.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 am

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post