Our partner

Do some schizoids care what others think of them?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Do some schizoids care what others think of them?

Postby thelivinghell92 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:11 pm

I believe I have traits of both Schizoid and Avoidant personality disorder (avpd), yet neither one seems to quite fit my personality.

For one, I do not desire friendships and would much rather be left alone 99% of the time. I only wish to see my mother and that is it and only for short visits. This doesn't fit the Avpd criteria as I understand people with Avpd actually yearn for friendship but avoid people through fear of rejection. I used to desire friendship but I was repeatedly rejected throughout my school years and the few friends I did have used me and were generally not real friends - belittled me, just wanted me to do chores for them and constantly making fun of me (and saying they're only joking! such a classic cop out).

However, I also get very upset when people are critical or negative towards me, when I have to deal with people. I am not indifferent to criticism and what others think of me unlike a schizoid would be.

So, where does that leave me? Is it possible to have Avpd but not desire friendships/relationships and is it possible to have schizoid pd but care how others treat you/think of you?
I have - High functioning autism, OCD (episodic), social anxiety and depersonalization/derealization disorder

Expect I may have - Avoidant/schizoid personality disorder or traits
thelivinghell92
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:17 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do some schizoids care what others think of them?

Postby Number23 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:16 am

You don't need to have all the symptoms to qualify for a PD, and you can have a mix of symptoms belonging to different PD. I think the pure, prototypical patient is more the exception than the norm.
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Number23
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Schizological1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 am

I care what others think of me in regard of anxiety of staying completely isolated, so if i feel someone was hurt by me very badly i either cut them out of my life, they wont matter anymore and their words become like wind, or i will try my best effort to be very submissive and comply to every will they have in order for them to stay and not leave me, eventually i rely on society for my social needs so i cant manage to lose everyone in my life.

Yoi think you need 4 symptoms to be diagnosed, i am diagnosed so if you care about criticism for the same reason i am, or maybe another reason that isnt nessecirily about feeling inner will to behave according to what other think or want, not because of some kind of caring then maybe its worth checking it out if you look for change in your life.

Goal of diagnosis is to treat appropriatly and for formal recognition, so if you are intrested in any of those you should maybe check it.
Schizological1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:17 am

Postby thelivinghell92 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Thank you for the replies.
I have - High functioning autism, OCD (episodic), social anxiety and depersonalization/derealization disorder

thelivinghell92
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Oblivion » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:51 pm

thelivinghell92 wrote:Thank you for the replies.

So are we done here, then? :D

Number23 wrote:You don't need to have all the symptoms to qualify for a PD, and you can have a mix of symptoms belonging to different PD. I think the pure, prototypical patient is more the exception than the norm.

This. The most common PD dx is PDNOS, which is a combination of different PD traits.

Having been bullied and ostracized as a young kid, I became obsessed with social status as a teenager. As a young adult, I definitely had AvPD traits, but they went away. The push-pull effect regarding other people that exists in AvPD and SPD is, I think, similar and dissimilar at the same time. I think schizoids bury their feelings whereas people with AvPD retain their emotionality so they obsess over how they perceive others think of them.

My latest dx is a mixture of schizoid, narcissistic and OCD-PD traits.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 pm

Postby thelivinghell92 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Oblivion wrote:
thelivinghell92 wrote:Thank you for the replies.

So are we done here, then? :D

Number23 wrote:You don't need to have all the symptoms to qualify for a PD, and you can have a mix of symptoms belonging to different PD. I think the pure, prototypical patient is more the exception than the norm.

This. The most common PD dx is PDNOS, which is a combination of different PD traits.

Having been bullied and ostracized as a young kid, I became obsessed with social status as a teenager. As a young adult, I definitely had AvPD traits, but they went away. The push-pull effect regarding other people that exists in AvPD and SPD is, I think, similar and dissimilar at the same time. I think schizoids bury their feelings whereas people with AvPD retain their emotionality so they obsess over how they perceive others think of them.

My latest dx is a mixture of schizoid, narcissistic and OCD-PD traits.

PD-NOS is probably correct, although wouldn't a very large percentage of human beings fit somewhere into that diagnosis? At least if we took personality disorders as being on a spectrum? However, it is obvious there are certain people who are way higher on that spectrum than the general population, and I believe myself and many who frequent these forums are included in that group.

-- Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:12 pm --

Oblivion wrote:My latest dx is a mixture of schizoid, narcissistic and OCD-PD traits.

Are you more of a covert/introverted narcissist then? I would imagine so with the schizoid traits?

thelivinghell92
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Oblivion » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:54 pm

thelivinghell92 wrote:PD-NOS is probably correct, although wouldn't a very large percentage of human beings fit somewhere into that diagnosis? At least if we took personality disorders as being on a spectrum? However, it is obvious there are certain people who are way higher on that spectrum than the general population, and I believe myself and many who frequent these forums are included in that group.

It's not a true personality disorder if it can't be described as a long standing pattern of maladaptive behavior and doesn't cause you problems. While most people at some point exhibit traits that are listed as PD criteria, they're not locked into it. There's PD's, and then there's character flaws. And on the bottom of the list is plain old assholism.

Look at Trump. He behaves like a histrionic narcissist but he's doing just fine.

Are you more of a covert/introverted narcissist then? I would imagine so with the schizoid traits?

The doctor who diagnosed me did not go into that, but it sounds right.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:17 pm

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post