Our partner

People Who Tell It Like It Is And The Schizoid

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

People Who Tell It Like It Is And The Schizoid

Postby I Dream 5 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:40 pm

I am wondering if you've found a link that Schizoid's favor someone who tends to "tell it like it is" over someone who is always "sugar-coating" and avoiding reality. I always respect someone more who will just tell it like it is. I don't care if I'm "offended", I'd rather know the truth. What about any of you out there?

I know some of my threads are pretty "brutually-honest." However, shouldn't the goal be to tell the truth rather than worry about being "offensive." I think being more honest would save a lot of time and hassle. Anyone else find "corporate culture" and "corporate types" "offensive"? I know I do.
Anyway, just my thoughts..... :arrow:
Your one and only resident Schizoid (in most places).
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: People Who Tell It Like It Is And The Schizoid

Postby fallenmen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:13 am

Yes.
i have thought about saying that to someone i know "i am not nice am kind", but end up not doing so, as i was explaining why i hate when ppl act nice to me that i care more about the motive that lead someone to do it then the action itself, and if i dislike the motive i dislike them if am still trying to figure it out then am annoyed by them.

it was about a classmate from high school that i hated from start even when he was nice to me because i know he is being nice for the wrong reason and would change to be a dick(which he did) i played it cool and tried to limit our interaction so i don't acceleration the process.
she found it odd and keep asking question unrelated to the story that i was trying to tell.
fallenmen
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:07 am

Postby smirks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:51 am

I respect the ability of some people to tell the truth in an empathetic way. There's an art therein that is a step above "brutal" honesty. Not all honesty has to be brutal. Some people arm themselves with honesty in a malicious way that undoes the potential for good that comes from the truth.

I prefer people who are honest, but at the same time, it's so easy to read people's body language and predict behaviour patterns, that people who outright lie and manipulate seem to be playing a children's game poorly. Sometimes I feel pity for them.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:07 pm

Postby Schizological1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:42 am

I attract people that dont like #######4 like $#%^ attract flies.
Even if we dont have alot to talk about i usually make fun of people that are saying one thing and obviously mean another, and this kind of people like it, they usually hate a lower level of #######4 like being a hypocript nice to someone, i only care about people that deny their hypocrism, because i dont care if someone is talking like an ahole, i only care if his assholeness directly effects me, if i dont have to be effected (not be his friend) i would avoid it.

Throughout my life i almost always found a 1 close friend and he would almost always not like #######4
Last edited by Tyler on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Swear filter
Schizological1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:07 am

Postby Oblivion » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:46 pm

"Telling it like it is" and honesty are two sides of the same coin but are not necessarily synonymous.

The phrase "telling it like it is" sounds manipulative and deceptive. It leaves no room for debate. It's veracity lies in the mind of the speaker and those who are apt to believe "it". Hitler "told it like it is".

It sounds like I'm obsessing on semantics here, but citing "corporate culture" and "corporate types" as examples brings this into a whole different ballfield. I don't find these types merely offensive, I find them abhorrent. The fact that their dishonesty is literally sanctioned by capitalist governments is what's offensive. How can a private citizen, schizoid or not, counter such institutionalized deception? He can't. The only recourse would be to fight fire with fire.

I run my own business. In order to keep my workflow steady and stable, I frequently have to "tell it like it is", even when I'm lying through my teeth. There are just too many of us on this planet, all of us trying to go in our intended direction. Like bacteria in a petri dish, there's just no way that the path of our direction will not collide with someone else's. So it should be all about sharing the space and compromise, right? In a perfect world that would be the case, but there are too many of us who are either too heartless or too stupid or too bullheaded to comply.

Do you matter? If your answer is yes, then let me ask you; do other's matter too? I assume most people here would say yes. But our blindly competitive nature would dictate that the reverse is true. The need to get ahead "at all costs" is one of the worst symptoms of the disease of western culture. It's an inherent tenet of politics, business and religion, just to name three of the biggest institutions that cast a shadow on our humanity, and to stand within its midst and proclaim yourself to be a pillar of honesty and transparency is suicide.

The only place where honesty still thrives is within our private interpersonal relations. And here, like everywhere else, we have a choice: to be honest or to employ the same kind of manipulative techniques that "they" do. Dishonesty is manipulation. And achievement by manipulation is a hollow victory at best. It's a paper tiger that hides it's vulnerability behind a veneer of weakness. A house of cards blithely unaware of an impending breeze. And building your interpersonal relationships on lies is going to work against you sooner or later. This is true for schizoids more than anyone else because a lie is like a pet you constantly have to feed and nurture. This schizoid does not have the time or stomach for that.

There are times for "telling it like it is" and times for "telling it like you want to believe/want them to believe it is". That's just a sad fact of the human condition. True virtue lies in being able to honorably acknowledge the distinctions.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby I Dream 5 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Great replies so far! Very intellectually stimulating (to say the least). Some interesting points/ideas have been raised.
Your one and only resident Schizoid (in most places).
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cholls » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:20 am

smirks wrote:I respect the ability of some people to tell the truth in an empathetic way.

Yes. That's beautiful to behold. It's as though they see everything from very far away. People like that--one can feel it--make me want to kneel. While I'm not a practicing Christian, I believe that Christ existed, simply because such behavior is too far-fetched yet too real to have been fabricated. Too real because, on those very rare occasions on which I've behaved altruistically, it has felt so good! Counter-intuitively.

smirks wrote:Some people arm themselves with honesty in a malicious way

And such people are invariably unable to level the same degree of honesty at themselves.

smirks wrote:people who outright lie and manipulate seem to be playing a children's game poorly. Sometimes I feel pity for them.

Yes, it's easy to pity the bad actors. The really good manipulators I like to reserve for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Oblivion wrote:The need to get ahead "at all costs" is one of the worst symptoms of the disease of western culture.

Thank you for not making assumptions, Oblivion, but Asian culture is at least as bad. Frankly, I think every culture has its own secret recipes for warping the individual.

We really do need to resurrect that Zombie Apocalypse thread, if only for the warm fuzzies :D

Oblivion wrote:The only place where honesty still thrives is within our private interpersonal relations.

And, I think, amongst skilled laborers, such as mechanics, plumbers, and electricians. We can smoke-and-mirror our way through business, politics, academia, art, psychology, and most of the fields in post-industrial society, medicine included, but either the car starts and runs or it doesn't, and God help us if the loo acts up!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."
-- John W. Gardner

And that is the 100% bass-ackwards society we have, which is to be expected from an evolutionary dead-end.
Cholls
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Postby salles » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:36 am

I Dream 5 wrote:I am wondering if you've found a link that Schizoid's favor someone who tends to "tell it like it is" over someone who is always "sugar-coating" and avoiding reality. I always respect someone more who will just tell it like it is. I don't care if I'm "offended", I'd rather know the truth. What about any of you out there? :

Depends on a lot of things such as the situation and the motivation behind the other's 'sugar-coating'. Depends on if the other person does it all the time, or, is selective and timely. I can tolerate it if the person is someone I respect intellectually and in other ways. In general the hard-line realist's approach becomes just as tedious as sugar-coating, over time. There is a time and place for both.
Realist with a twist of humour is usually my preference.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:07 am

Postby Oblivion » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Cholls wrote:
Oblivion wrote:The need to get ahead "at all costs" is one of the worst symptoms of the disease of western culture.

Thank you for not making assumptions, Oblivion, but Asian culture is at least as bad.

Yeah that's probably true, but they got it from us.

Frankly, I think every culture has its own secret recipes for warping the individual.

Yep.

We did it wrong.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post