Our partner

Schizoid personality and evil

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Schizoid personality and evil

Postby Number23 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:58 pm

*mod edit*
According to Michael H. Stone, MD, schizoid personality is present in only about 1% of the population but 50% of serial killers. In his book The Anatomy of Evil, he identifies the "most evil" personality configuration as being where antisocial, psychopathic, sadistic and schizoid personality/autistic-spectrum overlap. Looking at the picture below, it's as if 40% of schizoids are either antisocial, psychopathic or sadistic: a finding that would surprise quite a few people.
IMAG0003.JPG
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Number23
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Schizoid personality and evil

Postby Oblivion » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:58 pm

I've noticed lately the word "schizoid" in a lot of news stories of mass shooters and people who commit some pretty bad crimes. Sometimes the label appears to have been applied somewhat carelessly, especially now, in this age of careless journalism.

It may be that SPD can result from being socially abused, which I believe is, in part, the case for me. Left unchecked, the anger from that abuse can coalesce over time into antisocial behavior, or at least the idealization of antisocial behavior. The base personality, or whatever you'd call it, is probably an indicator of whether or not those antisocial urges will come to fruition. I'm far too reserved and lazy to take some of the bad thoughts I get in my head seriously. I'm also too morally sound and introspective. I take steps to avoid trouble at all costs.

Since people with SPD are too emotionally removed to resort to what would be called "crimes of passion", I'm left with the suspicion that some schizoids are just stupid.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 am

Postby Schizological1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:07 pm

as a kid i would easily execute people if i was "allowed" to, i wasn't allowed to act as i wanted because of that, i didn't care about anyone geting hurt in any way when i was mad, naturally society had a problem with it and shut it down by forcing me to behave as expected.

geting my anger back in therapy lately and now that the chains are coming off i want to kill people very often, i try to think of the consequenced because i already spent a night in jail and unlike everyone there i hate the smell of cigars, so now even when i get mad i always control myself so i wouldnt kill anyone, i always fantasized about killing people, mostly family, it kept me alive with all the anger inside.

i think it depends alot on the cause, and at what age did the schizoid lost touch, if its too young then he will probably forget what he's angry about, if its at an older age the anger will live in him, it is not allowed to come out since he has to behave, and it does not go away because it literally killed him, bansished him from the world and exiled him, of course the anger will stay inside him.
Schizological1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:26 am

Postby salles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Number23 wrote:*mod edit*
According to Michael H. Stone, MD, schizoid personality is present in only about 1% of the population but 50% of serial killers. In his book The Anatomy of Evil, he identifies the "most evil" personality configuration as being where antisocial, psychopathic, sadistic and schizoid personality/autistic-spectrum overlap. Looking at the picture below, it's as if 40% of schizoids are either antisocial, psychopathic or sadistic: a finding that would surprise quite a few people.
IMAG0003.JPG

I could see how schizoid traits may be co-morbid with a psychopathic personality but someone with spd as the primary disorder is not usually psychopathic by default.
Where is the narcissistic component that is meant to lie at the heart of every psychopath?

-- Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:35 pm --

Oblivion wrote:Since people with SPD are too emotionally removed to resort to what would be called "crimes of passion", I'm left with the suspicion that some schizoids are just stupid.

Nah, I think it is possible that Schizoids have emotions/sensitivity that are stronger than most, and this is the reason they suppress them. To be able to do it so effectively is "GENIUS".
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 am

Postby salles » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Eldror wrote:geting my anger back in therapy lately and now that the chains are coming off i want to kill people very often, i try to think of the consequenced because i already spent a night in jail and unlike everyone there i hate the smell of cigars, so now even when i get mad i always control myself so i wouldnt kill anyone, i always fantasized about killing people, mostly family, it kept me alive with all the anger inside..

Interesting.
Sounds like PTSD?
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Number23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 am

Oblivion wrote:I've noticed lately the word "schizoid" in a lot of news stories of mass shooters and people who commit some pretty bad crimes.

One recent high profile case of a diagnosed schizoid is the Charlottesville white supremacist. Mass murderers are mainly paranoid though. https://nmcdn.io/e186d21f8c7946a19faed2 ... nd_Men.pdf
In the sample of 235 American mass killers, one was a schizoid with intense rage who sought infamy (Robert Benjamin Smith); one was schizotypal (James Holmes [Aurora]); and three were autistic: Seung-Hui CHO (Virginia Tech), Adam Lanza (Newtown), Elliot Rodger(Santa Barbara).

It may be that SPD can result from being socially abused, which I believe is, in part, the case for me. Left unchecked, the anger from that abuse can coalesce over time into antisocial behavior

Possibly, indeed. A passive and lonely person can look like an easy target.

I'm far too reserved and lazy to take some of the bad thoughts I get in my head seriously. I'm also too morally sound and introspective. I take steps to avoid trouble at all costs.

Some schizoids are desperately lonely and can go as far as serial murder to keep their companions with them. One such example is Denis Nilson, who was otherwise a likeable and decent person.

Since people with SPD are too emotionally removed to resort to what would be called "crimes of passion"

I disagree. Don't you feel intense anger (rage?) yourself? Schizoids are known for their risk of committing impulsive murders, possibly fueled by rage like the case of Robert Benjamin Smith.
Similar to schizoids, are autistic persons: they are rarely violent but in the exceptional case where they commit a violent crime, the outburst will likely be a final act by someone who has been unable to sense what others feel, unable to relate to them in any meaningful way, let alone form an intimate friendship with anyone.
Last edited by Number23 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Number23
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Number23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 am

Eldror wrote: if its too young then he will probably forget what he's angry about

Do you think that all (antisocial?) schizoids are angry?

it is not allowed to come out since he has to behave

Over controlled emotions are a recipe for explosive outbursts.
bansished him from the world and exiled him, of course the anger will stay inside him.

If you are talking about rejection here, then yes, that too is a recipe intense frustration and possibly violence, best exemplified by spree killers, not to be confused with mass killers.
Number23
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Number23 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 am

salles wrote:Where is the narcissistic component that is meant to lie at the heart of every psychopath?

Most obvious is shallow affect. Then perhaps because of the shallow affects you will have lack of empathy and lack of remorse or guilt. As for the behavioral component of psychopathy, I could mention impulsivity and perhaps poor behavioral control.
Number23
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Oblivion » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:07 pm

salles wrote:
Oblivion wrote:Since people with SPD are too emotionally removed to resort to what would be called "crimes of passion", I'm left with the suspicion that some schizoids are just stupid.

Nah, I think it is possible that Schizoids have emotions/sensitivity that are stronger than most, and this is the reason they suppress them. To be able to do it so effectively is "GENIUS".

I agree but the fact that they suppress their feelings so guardedly would suggest that even when their most powerful emotions rise to the surface, they're still tempered by that fear of exposing them. Sometimes I look at my strongest emotions like wild animals that must be kept caged and sedated or else they will run amok. People who are generally outwardly over emotional are the ones who are most likely to commit crimes of passion. Schizoids are more likely to keep theirs under lock and key. Maybe they filter them through introspection: I really want to stab this bitch in the face but if I do there will be some bad consequences that I don't care to deal with.

My comment about some schizoids being stupid was poorly a rendered illustration of my point. There's bound to be a percentage of any group that's just stupid. I don't think being intelligent predisposes one to developing SPD. Still, suppressing emotions, even when it's advantageous is more or a defense mechanism than a genius move, I believe.

Number23 wrote:
Since people with SPD are too emotionally removed to resort to what would be called "crimes of passion"

I disagree. Don't you feel intense anger (rage?) yourself? Schizoids are known for their risk of committing impulsive murders, possibly fueled by rage like the case of Robert Benjamin Smith.
Similar to schizoids, are autistic persons: they are rarely violent but in the exceptional case where they commit a violent crime, the outburst will likely be a final act by someone who has been unable to sense what others feel, unable to relate to them in any meaningful way, let alone form an intimate friendship with anyone.

Schizoid PD can be co-morbid with psychopathy, bipolar and, I believe schizophrenia. I still think someone who is schizoid with no other disorders is very unlikely to be murderously violent.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 am

Postby salles » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Oblivion wrote: People who are generally outwardly over emotional are the ones who are most likely to commit crimes of passion. Schizoids are more likely to keep theirs under lock and key. Maybe they filter them through introspection: I really want to stab this bitch in the face but if I do there will be some bad consequences that I don't care to deal with.

Yes.. I guess the propensity towards thinking, and introspection lends itself to being able to foresee consequences.
I wonder also, if schizoids have a higher self-critical inner voice that causes them to pause before 'stabbing the bitch in the face' and presume they are wrong to think she's a bitch. I know I judge people harshly ( myself included), so refrain from verbalising the inner dialogue or from acting out on it ( mostly)
Also
Schizoids do not seem to have that same sense of entitlement that is prevalent in other disorders esp psychopathy and narcissism.
Schizoid PD can be co-morbid with psychopathy, bipolar and, I believe schizophrenia. I still think someone who is schizoid with no other disorders is very unlikely to be murderously violent

That's what I think too.

-- Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:24 pm --

Number23 wrote:
salles wrote:Where is the narcissistic component that is meant to lie at the heart of every psychopath?

Most obvious is shallow affect. Then perhaps because of the shallow affects you will have lack of empathy and lack of remorse or guilt. As for the behavioral component of psychopathy, I could mention impulsivity and perhaps poor behavioral control.

Yes but Narcissism is not on the venn diagram :evil:
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post