Our partner

On Not Caring

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

On Not Caring

Postby CityMouse » Sun May 26, 2019 6:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1PauIFNEyU

"To not care is a very high state of being. It implies that nothing has significance - even one's own life. This is why the whole of life is engineered to make you care, because then you will do its bidding - to survive at all costs, to respect social norms so that the procreation machine can work effectively. This is nature's trick - the ego, the sense we are someone when we know it will all end. The ego is nature's masterwork - a being that identifies with itself consciously and as such strives with all its might to care about everything." -Martin Butler, philosopher

How is this any different from being schizoid?
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: On Not Caring

Postby smirks » Sun May 26, 2019 9:55 pm

I would agree that nothing really has significance to me.

I say that I care about everybody, but in sort of a Jesus, "love your neighbour" way, where I don't love anybody very strongly for personal reasons, and more really, that I just don't want to see people suffering unnecessarily.

Or...I suppose in a Mo Syzlak way, "I'm a well wisher in that I don't wish you any specific harm."

In the same way, important life milestones -- things like weddings, graduations, baby showers, religious milestones -- they all get kind of a meh from me. Even birthdays. Why do we celebrate these things in which the ordinary was achieved? I don't know. I'm ambivalent. These things have no significance for me.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Postby CityMouse » Mon May 27, 2019 12:48 am

What's wrong with that?
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 am

Postby Ashlar » Tue May 28, 2019 12:12 am

This is insufficient.

Everyone should study philosophy, a whole lot of it.

Sure you can pick any pithy witticism that justifies your current point of view.

But to understand all of it, you really should go through all the classics up and unto the modern. And it still won't teach you everything, but you'll know that, and know the difference, and know why by the end of it.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Postby smirks » Tue May 28, 2019 3:56 am

Nobody should study philosophy. It's just navel-gazing with attached fancy names for people who want to seem erudite.

There's nothing and everything wrong with not caring. It can be a torment to watch the world peeing itself over things so mundane that they make you want to slip into a coma.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Postby poxalis » Tue May 28, 2019 12:18 pm

this quote seems to be about a higher state of mind that was gained through mental exercise. like buddhism. learning to detach in order to be happier. looking at the grand scheme instead of the little things. schizoidism isn't a choice. also, not caring is an outward trait. something others see, not the whole truth. See:
Shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity.

Shows being the important word here. If you don't care about anything, then you should consider depression.
crystal richardson wrote:I want you all to look retarded.
I've succeeded.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post