Our partner

Great Quote Regarding Me/SPD

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Great Quote Regarding Me/SPD

Postby I Dream 5 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 pm

"Before you start to judge me, step into my shoes and walk the life I'm living and if you get as far as I am, just maybe you will see how strong I really am."

-Unknown

And the truth of the matter is that NO ONE knows what your situation is like. Other people have no idea of the challenges someone with Schizoid Personality Disorder faces.

Anyway, something to keep in mind 8)
Your one and only resident Schizoid (in most places).
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 5:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Great Quote Regarding Me/SPD

Postby Cholls » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:21 pm

I Dream 5 wrote:"Before you start to judge me, step into my shoes and walk the life I'm living and if you get as far as I am, just maybe you will see how strong I really am."

-Unknown

And the truth of the matter is that NO ONE knows what your situation is like. Other people have no idea of the challenges someone with Schizoid Personality Disorder faces.

--> Do you think it would make you uncomfortable if an online friend (BPD, ASPD) told you that they had observed that about you? That you are one tough cookie? I have read that indifference to praise and criticism is one of the defining traits.

Recently, I completed a grueling project and was able to force myself to stick with it only because of what my schizoid friend has told me of his life. My project was nothing next to what he endures on a daily basis.

My friend has so much self-loathing despite many, many good qualities. It seems as though he takes his strength for granted, takes all of his good qualities for granted, and sees only his shortcomings (exaggerated).
Cholls
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 am

Postby I Dream 5 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Cholls wrote:
I Dream 5 wrote:"Before you start to judge me, step into my shoes and walk the life I'm living and if you get as far as I am, just maybe you will see how strong I really am."

-Unknown

--> Do you think it would make you uncomfortable if an online friend (BPD, ASPD) told you that they had observed that about you? That you are one tough cookie? I have read that indifference to praise and criticism is one of the defining traits.

Recently, I completed a grueling project and was able to force myself to stick with it only because of what my schizoid friend has told me of his life. My project was nothing next to what he endures on a daily basis.

My friend has so much self-loathing despite many, many good qualities. It seems as though he takes his strength for granted, takes all of his good qualities for granted, and sees only his shortcomings (exaggerated).

It wouldn't make me uncomfortable. I know who I am. It is what it is. I don't need rewards or anything.

I can relate to your friend. Sometimes the good qualities are taken for granted, while the challenges get magnified. The external World tends to magnify these challenges. It is easy to become bitter.

But, while left sequestered in the comfort of my own inner World, I can see many good qualities without any trouble.
Your one and only resident Schizoid (in most places).
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby salles » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:23 pm

-Unknown

And those with SPD have no idea of the challenges faced by those with BPD, ASPD, Addiction...etc... or 'normal' people who have suffered an almost insufferable amount of pain and loss.
Everyone has their cross to bear.
Life is about suffering . Perhaps the schizoids defence mechanisms make them suffer less than those who are emotional? Who can say....
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 11:32 am

Postby smirks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:36 am

I don't think I pity myself. i don't see myself as undergoing great struggle.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 6:32 am

Postby Oblivion » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 pm

salles wrote:Life is about suffering . Perhaps the schizoids defence mechanisms make them suffer less than those who are emotional? Who can say....

There are other ways of suffering besides suffering emotionally.

Self-pity opens the door to a lot of negativity and decreases your efficacy at solving your problems. I don't think schizoids are prone to self-pity as much as some other PDs and illnesses.

Also, do you really believe life is about suffering?
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby salles » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Oblivion wrote:
salles wrote:Also, do you really believe life is about suffering?

Yes. I do.
But I also believe the challenge is be an alchemist and turn shitt into strawberries.
I believe everyone suffers, mostly as a consequence of their perception and ingrained ways of thinking. But it is what makes us human. There are great and joyful times interspersed, but they are not sustainable or ever-lasting, unless one becomes a yogi and meditates on the side of a mountain for years on end.
To Love is to suffer, for starters....and Love is supposedly the holy grail for all humans.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 21, 2019 11:32 am

Postby Oblivion » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:53 pm

salles wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

Yes. I do.
But I also believe the challenge is be an alchemist and turn shitt into strawberries.
I believe everyone suffers, mostly as a consequence of their perception and ingrained ways of thinking. But it is what makes us human. There are great and joyful times interspersed, but they are not sustainable or ever-lasting, unless one becomes a yogi and meditates on the side of a mountain for years on end.
To Love is to suffer, for starters....and Love is supposedly the holy grail for all humans.

Now that I think about it, I guess you're right.

I mean, we didn't evolve with smartphones and Hot Pockets. At base, we're just like any other animal on the planet who spend their days desperately searching for food and looking out for predators.

But since we're on the top of the food chain, we have to think of other ways to trouble ourselves.

Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil and Twitter come to mind.

As a life form on this planet, I think we have it too easy.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cholls » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:31 am

Oblivion wrote:As a life form on this planet, I think we have it too easy.

Which might be why we make it hard.

Damn.
Cholls
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Cholls » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:30 am

salles wrote:
Oblivion wrote:

Yes. I do.

You're probably one of the few SPDs whom I have encountered who acknowledges that non-SPDs also suffer, and as acutely in their own ways.

After months of interacting with my SPD friend, I am not so sure. SPD does not seem to allow people to run and hide and pretend. Arguably, much of everyone else's life is spent in exactly those ways.

With severe SPD, one (so it seems) is forced to confront the pointlessness of life head-on and resolve the Life Problem in a largely unrelieved landscape (anhedonia). "Variety is the very spice of life.". The SPD is not allowed that, and is immediately tasked with becoming the Buddha or Sisyphus. Sisyphus can triumph, but must do so without respite.

Nonetheless, regardless of who suffers more or less, we each get used to our own baseline level of suffering--the only one which we each can ever know. And, indeed,

'The challenge is be an alchemist and turn shitt into strawberries'.
Cholls
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post