Our partner

Accepting diagnosis

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Accepting diagnosis

Postby Manners73 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm finally accepting/coming to terms with my SPD diagnosis.

It's a bit strange really because I was only diagnosed with it about 12 years ago and I only decided to read a bit about it last night...i do actually fit the criteria.
Manners73
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Accepting diagnosis

Postby I Dream 5 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:28 pm

I know it's been a rough journey filled with a very fragmented reality. I want to wish you the best.
Your one and only resident Schizoid (in most places).
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:27 am

Postby Parador » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:20 pm

You can go to 5 different shrinks and get 5 different diagnoses. The reliability of diagnoses has decreased as they put more 'disorders' in the DSM.

The unreliability of psychiatric diagnosis has been and still is a major problem in psychiatry, especially at the clinician level. Clinicians need to make more efforts to improve the reliability of psychiatric diagnosis by using the ‘DR.SED' paradigm (diagnostic criteria, reference definitions, structuring the interview, clinical experience, and data). Improving the reliability of psychiatric diagnosis is an important step toward validating the diagnostic categories of psychiatric disorders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990547/

Reliability in psychiatric diagnosis with the DSM: old wine in new barrels.
https://www.karger.com/Article/Abstract/358809

And the diagnosis is just a label. It doesn't have to be your identity.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
Parador
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:28 pm

For me, it was a confirmation, something concrete I could point to for something off that I have always felt. I don't see it as a death sentence but as a tool to help me live a more content life. I no longer have to fight the force of societal expectations. Before diagnoses, I saw it as a failure in my self (why don't I connect? what am I doing wrong?), when in reality, it's just how I'm wired.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:27 am

Postby CityMouse » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

To me, being schizoid is the only way to survive selfish, predatory behavior on the part of some if not many humans.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and the shrink took pains to explain that it's not OCD. But people tend not to believe me. My mom was in the shrink's office for two hours and then when we came home, told me to date and go out and got very angry that I didn't hang out with my sister. So she still thinks I'm normal. So I tell people I'm schizoid because that's more believable. Besides, I fit the negative criteria to a T due to my meds.

I could be an angry misanthrope, which serves zero purpose for me and just let's "them" win. I could be religious while others are pious phonies who I meet in the next life same as me, when there probably is no next life. I could fight back and have things escalate to embarrassing rantings that don't affect the bullies and then violence, which begets violence.

Or I could be militantly indifferent.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post