Our partner

Interesting Article That May Be Of Interest

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Interesting Article That May Be Of Interest

Postby I Dream 5 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:19 am

Your one and only resident Schizoid (in most places).
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Interesting Article That May Be Of Interest

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:34 am

I have always felt the classic Schizoid by Ernst Kretschmer which were separated into schizotypal, avoidant and schizoid represented me the best.

1. Unsociability, quietness, reservedness, seriousness and eccentricity.
2. Timidity, shyness with feelings, sensitivity, nervousness, excitability, fondness of nature and books.
3. Pliability, kindliness, honesty, indifference, silence and cold emotional attitudes.

"Kretschmer himself, however, did not conceive of separating these behaviors to the point of radical isolation but considered them to be simultaneously present as varying potentials in schizoid individuals."

I agree with this but that is me. I think it accurately describes the split personality that is Schizoid. How do you wrestle the complimentary yet contradictory aspects of the combined personalities? Aspects of this personality are present and not necessarily present at any time.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:19 am

Postby I Dream 5 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:55 pm

iabsurdlyexist wrote:I have always felt the classic Schizoid by Ernst Kretschmer which were separated into schizotypal, avoidant and schizoid represented me the best.

1. Unsociability, quietness, reservedness, seriousness and eccentricity.
2. Timidity, shyness with feelings, sensitivity, nervousness, excitability, fondness of nature and books.
3. Pliability, kindliness, honesty, indifference, silence and cold emotional attitudes.

"Kretschmer himself, however, did not conceive of separating these behaviors to the point of radical isolation but considered them to be simultaneously present as varying potentials in schizoid individuals."

I agree with this but that is me. I think it accurately describes the split personality that is Schizoid. How do you wrestle the complimentary yet contradictory aspects of the combined personalities? Aspects of this personality are present and not necessarily present at any time.

I think Kretschmer's work highlighted that someone with the Schizoid Personality can have many faces. There's a real split in the personality. It can be really hard to gauge it. Someone can easily think someone with the Schizoid Personality is someone they are really not. It could be really hard to tell where this person begins and where another person may end at times.

It could be said that someone with a Schizoid Personality may be looking for a personality to latch onto as they may not be aware of their true self. Certainly, no one else is aware of what this person's true self is.
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby salles » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:02 pm

An Interesting read.

Irrespective of the latter, the schizoid patient essentially experiences a very specific, stable and entrenched internal split. It is this very split that needs to be understood and therapeutically addressed. The complexity thereof, given the use of various defenses as described above, means that a tremendous amount of therapeutic work and patience is needed to access this schizoid structure.

Fat chance of a schizoid ever finding that kind of therapist !
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 am

Postby MalevolentMangos » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:14 pm

I Dream 5 wrote:It could be said that someone with a Schizoid Personality may be looking for a personality to latch onto as they may not be aware of their true self. Certainly, no one else is aware of what this person's true self is.

Would this be (or similar to) mirroring?
MalevolentMangos
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby I Dream 5 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:27 pm

MalevolentMangos wrote:
I Dream 5 wrote:It could be said that someone with a Schizoid Personality may be looking for a personality to latch onto as they may not be aware of their true self. Certainly, no one else is aware of what this person's true self is.

Would this be (or similar to) mirroring?

I would say so. This would be like a Schizoid inventing a character to play. Maybe a Schizoid puts on a "schizoid exhibition" of some kind of "lady's man" to fit into society (lol..yeah I know, I feel the irony). I would say (for many) it may take the invention of a character to actually get into the dating scene (for many Schizoid males, at least).

Anyway, there may be tremendous guilt always looming beneath the surface of contentment. Those who have had the disorder for years may become bitter, despite feeling content with themselves. You just never know. I realize that no one person with Schizoid Personality Disorder is the same.
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MalevolentMangos » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:48 pm

I Dream 5 wrote:I would say so. This would be like a Schizoid inventing a character to play. Maybe a Schizoid puts on a "schizoid exhibition" of some kind of "lady's man" to fit into society (lol..yeah I know, I feel the irony). I would say (for many) it may take the invention of a character to actually get into the dating scene (for many Schizoid males, at least).

Yes I do have the habit of taking things other people do for myself. I say phrases I hear other people say or give myself interests other people have. My family has noticed it and comments all the time on how I keep stealing their little quirks. I do it because I don’t really have any genuine ones of my own. Only problem is that I can’t get them to stick with me and end up getting new ones repeatedly.
MalevolentMangos
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post