Our partner

Racism and Sexism?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Racism and Sexism?

Postby Ashlar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 pm

I am curious how people here feel about these sort of "prejudice" related topics. I do happen to be white and male.

I didn't really know about "race" until it was taught to me in school, and I was completely in agreement with "that shouldn't matter". It wasn't until highschool when other peers suddenly started actually speaking racist things that I realized it was even still in existence with the youth. I've never liked it, never understood it, etc.

Regarding sexism that was more ingrained in my upbringing, but very early on I decided I wasn't going to be a part of that system. I wouldn't care what someone's gender or sexuality was, both were not relevant to me. This has held consistently, though with the way modern conjecture seems to be going I've had conflicts where people discount something I said "just because I'm a man" which is weird to me. And I almost immediately think, "You're just looking for a cop-out because you know you're actually still in the wrong." On that particular adventure.

Are we more likely to not exhibit these traits/features? I feel like the answer is yes, but I have no data.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Racism and Sexism?

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 pm

I don't have any thoughts on the subject, just chimed in to say that I do not exhibit these features.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CityMouse » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Regarding racism, I think we live in a racial caste system (in the US) that is likely permanent and immutable. I call myself African and wear wraps because that puts you slightly higher on the racial caste: if an African is waiting tables, society thinks "oh he's probably paying for school to become a computer programmer." But if a black American is waiting tables, society thinks, "he probably didn't graduate high school." Meanwhile, if an African is at Harvard and wears suits, society thinks, "wow he reminds me of Kwame from the Apprentice." But a black American is at Harvard and wears suits, society thinks, "he's probably teaches Gangstalinguistics." So I think Native Americans are ignored and black Americans are overexposed. With that said, there are poor whites who are just seen as lazy and even racist. Also, I read part of a linguistics book that said that African Americans are happy and functioning. So the problem may be the opposite than assumed: people, perhaps well meaning, keep pestering them to do more. Maybe they don't want to. One nation, under God, indivisible, liberty, and justice for all? Pipe dream, I think. Don't blame the messenger.

Regarding sexism, I think men and women have switched places. Men seem almost asexual mostly, like the MGTOWs playing video games all day as if they have hikikomori. The women, the Stepford Wives, have stepped out. You've seen the slut walks. Maybe women just don't like being themselves or something. Maybe the grass is always greener.

We may be turning into a matriachy. If you hate patriarchy, you ain't seen matriarchy. In matriarchies like the one in China, women do every last bit of work while men eat what they cook, drink, play pool, and on top of that hook up constantly. They just have to agree to not be taken seriously as people. Women make all the political decisions.

I think it's harder to be a male introvert because people take liberty with you, but I could be wrong.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:10 am

Postby CityMouse » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 pm

With that said, I get it from both sides. There seems to be little to no understanding of true introversion, much less mental illness, in the African American community. "Black atheist" or "black introvert" is like some strange phenomenon, let alone "black stoic" or "black schizoid??" I feel like society at large will not let me get away from being this empowered and mentally/emotionally independent for very long.

I'm probably the only black person in this entire world who didn't like the movie Black Panther. I fell asleep after the first third. I see through the bs: people just liked it because it showed Africa being technologically advanced. Well, they haven't been to my country which is very developed. I am from Liberia and we have hotels, restaurants, universities, clubs, airports, etc. So this is just based on ignorance in this country about what Africa actually looks like.

I'm probably also the only person, black or white, who doesn't like Malcolm X. It's a deep dark secret that haunts me because revealing it will get you harassed and possibly beaten senseless. I have read books about him from every side of the aisle and I really don't like what I see. I see someone who sort of enslaved the black race and was like a dictator. Reminds me of what I fled: dictatorship, and before that, chiefdom. I don't understand the need for some domineering, glorified authority figures in my culture, starting with the Almighty. It really just might be about power.

Growing up, I was encouraged to be an activist but I have learned that activists only think they're helping. What they really want is power. The oppressed oppress.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:10 am

Postby Ashlar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Those are a lot of very interesting observations.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum