Our partner

Racism and Sexism?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Racism and Sexism?

Postby Ashlar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 pm

I am curious how people here feel about these sort of "prejudice" related topics. I do happen to be white and male.

I didn't really know about "race" until it was taught to me in school, and I was completely in agreement with "that shouldn't matter". It wasn't until highschool when other peers suddenly started actually speaking racist things that I realized it was even still in existence with the youth. I've never liked it, never understood it, etc.

Regarding sexism that was more ingrained in my upbringing, but very early on I decided I wasn't going to be a part of that system. I wouldn't care what someone's gender or sexuality was, both were not relevant to me. This has held consistently, though with the way modern conjecture seems to be going I've had conflicts where people discount something I said "just because I'm a man" which is weird to me. And I almost immediately think, "You're just looking for a cop-out because you know you're actually still in the wrong." On that particular adventure.

Are we more likely to not exhibit these traits/features? I feel like the answer is yes, but I have no data.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri May 24, 2019 10:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Racism and Sexism?

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:37 pm

I don't have any thoughts on the subject, just chimed in to say that I do not exhibit these features.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CityMouse » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Regarding racism, I think we live in a racial caste system (in the US) that is likely permanent and immutable. I call myself African and wear wraps because that puts you slightly higher on the racial caste: if an African is waiting tables, society thinks "oh he's probably paying for school to become a computer programmer." But if a black American is waiting tables, society thinks, "he probably didn't graduate high school." Meanwhile, if an African is at Harvard and wears suits, society thinks, "wow he reminds me of Kwame from the Apprentice." But a black American is at Harvard and wears suits, society thinks, "he's probably teaches Gangstalinguistics." So I think Native Americans are ignored and black Americans are overexposed. With that said, there are poor whites who are just seen as lazy and even racist. Also, I read part of a linguistics book that said that African Americans are happy and functioning. So the problem may be the opposite than assumed: people, perhaps well meaning, keep pestering them to do more. Maybe they don't want to. One nation, under God, indivisible, liberty, and justice for all? Pipe dream, I think. Don't blame the messenger.

Regarding sexism, I think men and women have switched places. Men seem almost asexual mostly, like the MGTOWs playing video games all day as if they have hikikomori. The women, the Stepford Wives, have stepped out. You've seen the slut walks. Maybe women just don't like being themselves or something. Maybe the grass is always greener.

We may be turning into a matriachy. If you hate patriarchy, you ain't seen matriarchy. In matriarchies like the one in China, women do every last bit of work while men eat what they cook, drink, play pool, and on top of that hook up constantly. They just have to agree to not be taken seriously as people. Women make all the political decisions.

I think it's harder to be a male introvert because people take liberty with you, but I could be wrong.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 am

Postby CityMouse » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 pm

With that said, I get it from both sides. There seems to be little to no understanding of true introversion, much less mental illness, in the African American community. "Black atheist" or "black introvert" is like some strange phenomenon, let alone "black stoic" or "black schizoid??" I feel like society at large will not let me get away from being this empowered and mentally/emotionally independent for very long.

I'm probably the only black person in this entire world who didn't like the movie Black Panther. I fell asleep after the first third. I see through the bs: people just liked it because it showed Africa being technologically advanced. Well, they haven't been to my country which is very developed. I am from Liberia and we have hotels, restaurants, universities, clubs, airports, etc. So this is just based on ignorance in this country about what Africa actually looks like.

I'm probably also the only person, black or white, who doesn't like Malcolm X. It's a deep dark secret that haunts me because revealing it will get you harassed and possibly beaten senseless. I have read books about him from every side of the aisle and I really don't like what I see. I see someone who sort of enslaved the black race and was like a dictator. Reminds me of what I fled: dictatorship, and before that, chiefdom. I don't understand the need for some domineering, glorified authority figures in my culture, starting with the Almighty. It really just might be about power.

Growing up, I was encouraged to be an activist but I have learned that activists only think they're helping. What they really want is power. The oppressed oppress.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 am

Postby Ashlar » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 pm

Those are a lot of very interesting observations.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Meepwned » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:04 pm

I think racism is boring and unnecessary. It stems down to a need for an us vs them mentality and finding a scapegoat to distance ourselves from our problems.

Sexism is basically the same thing.

Racism could better be solved through more immersive cultural exposure. They won't ever truly go away, but can at least be minimized.

Sexism could better be solved through an evidence-based course detailing common differences between genders and people with different sexualities.

Both sides of both issues constantly exacerbate the issue. Both can be made more irrelevant through education.
Meepwned
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Cholls » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:28 am

CityMouse wrote:Regarding racism, I think we live in a racial caste system (in the US) that is likely permanent and immutable. ... So I think Native Americans are ignored and black Americans are overexposed.

I agree. As recently as the 1970s, Native Americans were still being victimized by cultural genocide (in reservation schools, Navajo children were beaten for speaking Navajo instead of English) and forced sterilization ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterilization_of_Native_American_women ), not to mention previous centuries of no-holds-barred extermination attempts (mound of bison skulls from animals killed in order to deprive Plains Nations of their food supply: https://i.imgur.com/CPb26wx.jpg ).

Until everybody ends up intermarrying to the degree that most people are mixed-race (as in Brazil; I've heard good things about Brazil), race will probably remain the elephant in the room. Anyone who says we live in a post-racial society is naive.

CityMouse, you really do have it tough. What do you believe would have to happen for you to be able to live as a private individual, as opposed to some sort of specimen or "cultural representative"? What you said about Malcolm X blows my mind. I, for one, want heroes and, at least among famous people, there appears to be no such thing.

Sadly, even schizoids are not above making remarks which could be perceived as racist. My schizoid friend issues pronouncements about certain cultures as though he were the world's expert on those cultures, as though he knew more about those cultures than the actual members of those cultures themselves. I interpret such presumptuousness as evidence of a sense of superiority which many in the other culture could well interpret as racist (my friend is Caucasian).

While he may have a subconscious sense of racial superiority, I think his behavior stems instead from a desperate need for infallibility, a need to know it all.

We're currently in the middle of an argument involving race, in which I confronted him with having contradicted himself. This will probably be the deal-breaker in our relationship. I am more than willing to admit being wrong, but would like to be proven wrong first. He simply cannot handle being cornered in a logical argument.

We met on an online forum and, whenever he lost an argument with anyone, instead of politely conceding, he would simply vanish. When I asked him about this privately, he said that he would continue the argument (which he'd already lost) in his head afterwards, sometimes for hours. I asked him what the point in that was, since arguments often hinge on the presentation of unforeseen information or perspectives, and he somehow couldn't grasp my point. He said that, because he was arguing for both sides, either side could 'win'.

Is my friend's desperate need to be right something common to schizoids?

When discussing non-Western cultures, such rigidity, I think, easily could be misconstrued as condescension, if not the expression of a sense of Western superiority and entitlement.
Cholls
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri May 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Postby Ashlar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Ooh, interesting.

Personally, I had a minor in philosophy focusing on logic and ethics in college. I may have a need to be right (I don't know about desperate), but that education makes "right" a lot less... assertive. For example, I almost always state things with proper context or by throwing in the necessary perspective of that statement. For example I usually can sort out multiple degrees and contexts of correct for something, to sort out where there might be compromise.

I don't think this is a schizoid trait. I think it's more just... an arrogant trait.

In a recent example my co-worker/boss had a friend who was a police officer who was called out by the media for posting racist things on twitter. My boss was defending this guy, talking about what a great guy he is, and I hadn't read the article yet. I agreed with his talking points. Then I read the article. I had to explain to my boss that, "oh no, your friend did in-fact do something wrong." That's a pretty assertive thing to say about something subjective, right? Well...

Boss got really defensive and angry, and honestly he's a pretty single-dimensional person. He is quite literally the type of person that can't take any sort of negative or constructive feedback, he interprets such things as a personal attack. Similarly everyone that is his friend is necessarily good and everyone that criticizes him is necessarily evil. I have many stories about him.

Anyway, I tried to explain to Boss exactly what I was saying, but it was several levels over his head. I first asked him whether he was arguing about the moral, ethical, legal, etc status of the act his friend had performed. He wouldn't answer, because once again this was probably over his head. He's a single-threaded thinker.

I further explained that legally or by police department policy, I don't know the answer to this situation. And morally, I think you can arrive at many different answers based on your system.

However, from a certain deontological perspective what he did was obviously wrong. He is a police officer, as such he has certain special rights, and with those rights come a number of responsibilities. He has a responsibility to his department, the city, and the courts to be able to provide reliable testimony in many many many ways. By being a racist jackass on public social media he quite literally is opening himself up to accusations that his policework or testimony is racially influenced or biased. This is clearly objectionable in this context. Even if he always does act perfectly justly towards people of all races in regards to his police work, the core problem is that he's violated one of his responsibilities for which he is given special privileges.

So in that conversation I definitely insisted on being right, even when it's pointless and the person I'm "arguing" with will never be moved.

On the other hand when I "lose" arguments it's never really a thing. I tend to be really quick to go, "oh yeah, you're right." Or "I don't know." Or "that's definitely possible." I have no problem compromising or admitting I'm wrong. But when I'm right and someone wants to fight me about it and they won't admit any ground I tend to hold my ground more adamantly than most. I have plenty more great stories of me arguing with people about just about everything, some ending with people hitting me and then me getting back up and telling them they're still wrong.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Eldror » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 am

yes, its made up
its another thing u have to go along with and accept because thats the way the world is

but racism and sexism both have a source, there are reasons, it's not made up for normal people, black people on avarage are lazier and less productive for community- fact
Eldror
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 6:54 am

Postby fallenmen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 pm

am not from the US this is my thought in racism from the US respective.
also prepare for bad English.
racism in the US was always weird for me most times it came in the form of "we are inherently superior" or "this race is inherently inferior" way.
all races/nations had acted on racist believe toward a group of ppl, but throughout all history it was mostly in the form "our experience, culture, or belief is superior then them and we should spread them because it better for the other nations" which did give enough justification for invading and enslaving other nation throughout history.
now this is useful for nations that are in a position of bullying others for their own end.
everybody did it roman(pre christ), mulism , jews , roman(post christ), hindu, etc... every nation that got strong enough to bully others did it at sometime in their history.
as Muslims i found it annoying how over romanticized Islamic empires are by other Muslims to level were there is a refuse to admit that throughout 1400 years of Islamic empires rules everything was perfect.
because they prefer to keep a righteous holy image of our history and ignore, deny information that can critic this image or world view.
example: Armenians are hated not because of their today actions but simple because there existence disprove this false image ( things was so go under the ottoman rule).
PS: in the Lebanese civil war Armenians actually helped Muslims hide from Persecution inside christian areas, and because of that many family that lived next to Armenians still vote predominantly to them to this day. yet still you can hear sometime bitterns from Muslims over Armenians simple because the Armenian genocide is stick in the ass of who want to over romanticize all 1400 years of Islamic rule.
note this isn't unique all over the world you will find ppl/nations that over romanticize their own history to this problematic level.

today war are expensive bullying other nation/races and taking their $#%^ isn't that much useful like it use to be.
in recent history( 200 yr ago) the west was in that position, actually it was in the strongest position that we have ever seen in history, the west couldn't just bully other nation from time to time it now can enslave every other race, do whatever they want take what ever they want and they did that just like all other nations before them, however the unbalance level of the power that the west had over other nations mean it will lead to worse result from before, and so u need much stronger argument that de-humans other nations coz "our culture/believe is better thus we should spread it" isn't enough at least to most ppl.

for me i view today US racism as extension to de-humanization arguments leftover and a new bitterness from the need to over romanticize history and in this context the other previous oppressed group are the stick in the ass of their beloved world view.

jerking off your ancestor isn't always bad but the only good can came from that is came...cam...cum so idk don't even if it feel good.
fallenmen
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 6:54 am

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum