Our partner

A Life With Purpose

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

A Life With Purpose

Postby ENFPENTP » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:13 pm

Is it important to you that your life have meaning and a purpose? If so, how important? Or is it the fear of death that keeps you trodding along? Or maybe you just don't care one way or the other and you are just trying to avoid stress/discomfort/inconvenience and are simply muddling along through life?

I know people with conditions are all different, at different points on the spectrum and possibly with overlapping conditions so I'm curious to hear you're thoughts. Kind of a deeper existential question, but I thought it would be a good discussion.
ENFPENTP
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: A Life With Purpose

Postby NPC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm

ENFPENTP wrote:Is it important to you that your life has meaning and a purpose?

Well, I guess our biological purpose is to reproduce? I don't see any other purposes.
But yes, it is important to me that there will be a meaning to my life, or at least I hope it will have one.

ENFPENTP wrote:If so, how important? Or is it the fear of death that keeps you trodding along? Or maybe you just don't care one way or the other and you are just trying to avoid stress/discomfort/inconvenience and are simply muddling along through life?

I would say that the fear of death is why I want my life to have a meaning. I'm terrified of the idea I will become old and eventually die, disappear from this world. I don't want to live my life as if there was an afterlife, I don't want to spend all my life as a simple man.
I know, nothing of what I wish will happen, and I'll end up as a lawyer in the best scenario, but accepting this fact is not easy - I want to be "special".
NPC
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:34 am

Postby naps » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Just killing time, serving the Lord until the day comes when he takes me into his loving arms.

O Heavenly Father, are those your fingers I feel in my grundle?
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 am

Postby NPC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:40 pm

naps wrote:O Heavenly Father, are those your fingers I feel in my grundle?

Damn, now I hope God is a female.
NPC
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:55 pm

He's not.
dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)

But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all
xcagedsilhouttex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby NPC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Then my balls belong to the angels
NPC
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby emillionth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:26 pm

ENFPENTP wrote:Or maybe you just don't care one way or the other and you are just trying to avoid stress/discomfort/inconvenience and are simply muddling along through life?

Mostly this.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 am

Postby smirks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:07 pm

Well, I'm not going to dissolve into a pool of existentialist despair without one.

I'd likely make one if I didn't already have one.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby orinoco » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:13 pm

As I definitely know that there is no meaning/goal of life in general, except the meaning that it has none and the one that I give to mine, I decided to leave this planet with the most negative impact on those, who did me from my point of view arbitrarily wrong, and the least negative impact on those who tried to be fair to me. And everything with the least suffering on my side. That's quite important for me.
What keeps me going on is just the will to survive and to learn in order improve my life conditions, the way I inherited it from my ancestors over billions of years as everybody else living today. We are the outcome of the winners of evolution, but every generation is divided in winners and losers. And the winners of today may become the losers of tomorrow, definitely some of them. Only those who procreate successfully survive and pass on their genetic and cultural traits - good and bad - to the next generation. But there is no more force to that than the circumstance that the drunkard always ends up in the gutter. No supernatural force required. It's just our self-similar ancestry that determines our long term future.
orinoco
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:34 am

Postby naps » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 pm

This is a good topic.

My purpose in life is to 1) Do what I do best. 2) Take full advantage of my suit of flesh while I still have it. (Sorry God). 3) Hold a mirror up to humanity to make them feel really, really bad about themselves.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post