Our partner

A Life With Purpose

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Re: A Life With Purpose

Postby NPC » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Poor God
Attachments
38b.png
NPC
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby salles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:42 pm

ENFPENTP wrote:Is it important to you that your life have meaning and a purpose? If so, how important? Or is it the fear of death that keeps you trodding along? Or maybe you just don't care one way or the other and you are just trying to avoid stress/discomfort/inconvenience and are simply muddling along through life?

I know people with conditions are all different, at different points on the spectrum and possibly with overlapping conditions so I'm curious to hear you're thoughts. Kind of a deeper existential question, but I thought it would be a good discussion.

I went through a phase of thinking purpose and meaning were important. But I am no longer sure. I have some half baked ideas that could be classified as purpose, but they really do not solve the existential crisis of finding meaning. Perhaps there is none.

Avoiding stress, discomfort, inconvenience could in itself be considered a purpose, especially if one has the personality type that has always chosen the opposite.

As for the term 'muddling' through life, that is a subjective judgement . It may describe 'loser' to one person, or 'survivor' to another.

In an attempt to find answers I often try to answer the question why not suicide?
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 am

Postby Floaty73 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:28 pm

"Is it important to you that your life have meaning and a purpose? If so, how important? Or is it the fear of death that keeps you trodding along? Or maybe you just don't care one way or the other and you are just trying to avoid stress/discomfort/inconvenience and are simply muddling along through life?"

Yes, it is. I want to achieve something. No idea what. In the meantime I muddle along, pulled this way, then that.
Floaty73
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 am

Postby Eight » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:28 pm

It is important to me that my life have some purpose which then gives it daily meaning. For me, on a practical level, it's my children and how I'm raising them and what of myself I'm giving to them.

More than anything else, it is via my kids that I've learned about love. Dogs help too.

Life is hard and it is not easy to love well, to love in some life-giving way.

It is not the fear of death that keeps me going; it is the challenge of living in a way that doesn't waste each day, day after day. I think it's our own task to bring meaning into our lives, in whatever way we each find it suits us, and to then live that out.

I can say that I do not want to be on my deathbed and feel like I wasted my life. I won't do that. That's a motivator for me when things are tough -- what can I find today, or offer today, that makes any difference? If I look, and have the eyes to see, I can nearly always discover something, and that's enough.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Postby CityMouse » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:03 am

Yes, it's important for me to have a sense of purpose. Johann Hari even said lack of purpose is one of the nine causes for depression.

These days I'm an Epicurean. My life purpose is, well, pleasure. But I see pleasure as the avoidance of pain or mental anguish. I guess I'm what you could call tranquilist.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:52 pm

Postby Quoth » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:34 am

Eight wrote:Dogs help too.

This is true.
as if in a broken jug for one backwards moment
water might keep its shape

https://youtu.be/VivuMRzQyw0
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby salles » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Quoth wrote:

This is true.

And cats..
But then.. they die, and one becomes even more desperate to find meaning and purpose.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 am

Postby Eight » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:59 pm

salles wrote:
Quoth wrote:

This is true.

And cats..
But then.. they die, and one becomes even more desperate to find meaning and purpose.

And then one has all the memories of the sweetness with that cat, and holds on to that and lets it enrich their life.

And one day, they dare to get another cat.

And they let a new chapter of life begin.

It's a series of these things that helps with meaning and purpose.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Postby naps » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:39 pm

Eight wrote:
salles wrote:
And cats..

And then one has all the memories of the sweetness with that cat, and holds on to that and lets it enrich their life.

And one day, they dare to get another cat.

And they let a new chapter of life begin.

It's a series of these things that helps with meaning and purpose.

I was gonna say that. Maybe salles is confusing it with how grief felt.

Caring for an animal for it's lifetime is an accomplishment. It's an experience that's always different. From my standpoint, it'a an exercise in how to recognize and deal with those pesky emotions. Joy, love, fear, pain.

I always have multiple pets. Buffer pets. So that when one dies, I never have to be the only living thing in my apartment.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 pm

Postby Polis » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 am

In principle utilitarianism makes the most sense to me, meaning can only be inherent it can't come from anywhere else. That said i am pretty apathetic, my emotions are weak, but there are strong enough to find living preferable.

As for purpose, purpose as in God given? Well then it isn't mine, but his. Purpose in the sense of evolution? Evolution is a just a random process, it has no goal, it is just how chaos regulates itself. Purpose as in personal purpose? That is doing something that you feel is important, this comes back to following your emotions (inherent meaning). I don't think that feeling of purpose is important. I can feel good without it so I don't see the value of it.
Polis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Previous

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post