Our partner

Schizoids on the internet

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Schizoids on the internet

Postby NPC » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:55 pm

Schizoids often build/create a certain personality to suit their needs in society.
Do you, as a Schizoid, do the same over the internet?

Personally, when I came across this website, created an account, and posted my first post, I've definitely thought out how I would like my personality to be portrayed; from my name to the way I write and approaching certain subjects. On other social media accounts, you will find a different personality, though there are usually obvious patterns. And even if someone contacting me privately, I might build or create a personality based on the social-media account this particular person knows me from and his own personality. Of course, I do not create or build all the personalities from scratch. Usually, I copy traits of the personalities I already use based on similar experience with the kind of people I'm talking to.

I don't know how common it is, maybe just me, but I have a reason for this behavior.
NPC
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Schizoids on the internet

Postby smirks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:49 am

Less so building another separate personality, and more compartmentalizing my personality, the way I prefer, into several specialized places. I don't really, say, post on social media, because I don't really enjoy everyone having access to all the facets of my life. I miss the OG internet where people tended to have handles instead of using their real names. I was very happy with the anonymity.

I don't really think about what I would like to portray, because I don't really have the desire to portray anything and I don't really care how I'm perceived. I have one personality, but...I'm kind of a lot. So, I have this website to talk about my loner problems, and another for things like music, or tv, or specific hobbies, and I create different handles, because I don't need those things to interact.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:34 pm

No, I am just who I am. The only difference between accounts is just not sharing what isn't relevant. It's the same in real life. I wouldn't talk about most of this stuff with anybody because it isn't relevant.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 am

Postby naps » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:51 pm

smirks wrote:Less so building another separate personality, and more compartmentalizing my personality, the way I prefer, into several specialized places.

I think most people do that, whether they're aware of it or not.

I joined this site in a very bad headspace so I figured I'd get the most out of it if I was honest and represented myself as accurately as possible. I never expected to stay here so long so I'm kind of stuck with that. The only difference between my usage here and real life is that I'm much more verbose here.

I don't post on any other forums or use social media. I compartmentalize my personality a lot in real life. I don't need to do that online.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Postby NPC » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Well, this website is a bad example as many come here to find answers about themselves, and so they need to be honest if they want to get a helpful response. I guess it's like to lie to a doctor?
But honestly, I'm sure not all people tell the truth even here, or at least not all the truth.
NPC
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby I Dream 5 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:44 pm

NPC wrote:Schizoids often build/create a certain personality to suit their needs in society.
Do you, as a Schizoid, do the same over the internet?

Personally, when I came across this website, created an account, and posted my first post, I've definitely thought out how I would like my personality to be portrayed; from my name to the way I write and approaching certain subjects. On other social media accounts, you will find a different personality, though there are usually obvious patterns. And even if someone contacting me privately, I might build or create a personality based on the social-media account this particular person knows me from and his own personality. Of course, I do not create or build all the personalities from scratch. Usually, I copy traits of the personalities I already use based on similar experience with the kind of people I'm talking to.

I don't know how common it is, maybe just me, but I have a reason for this behavior.

I don't understand it. They need to shut down Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Society is in severe decay. Part of the cause is related to these kinds of social media sites. We can see the effects of late stage Capitalism here.
Your one and only resident Schizoid (in most places).
I Dream 5
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:11 am

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I am not sure this really contributes to the topic but this got me thinking about covert/secret Schizoidness and how I portray myself. Appearances can be everything but I myself don't consciously recall attempting to be more than I am. However, I can see how my actions may come across differently. Appearing and acting are two different things but observed similarly.

This is how I explain my marriage to my therapists. I can say I am a good father because I am physically there and for the most part, stable. However, I am not emotionally engaged with my family. We just tend to be a compatible unit, me being morally obligated to keep it together. Since there isn't much substance to my personality, things go fairly smooth whereas most couples/people tend to conflict over ego.

Personally, I find acting a lot of effort. It's also why I tend towards honesty. I don't have to keep track of anything and I can remain this empty shell of myself unhindered. Expecting more of me is futile and perhaps where the conflict inside myself arises.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NPC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm

iabsurdlyexist wrote: I can say I am a good father because I am physically there and for the most part, stable. However, I am not emotionally engaged with my family.

May I ask how is your relationship with your kids? kids need an emotional connection, something that you cannot provide/express on the same level as other people. I guess it's a bit easier for you as you're the father figure and emotions aren't necessary as they're for mothers, but still, do you fake your emotions/expressions for them? If you don't, how does it affects them and their opinion about you?
NPC
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:53 pm

NPC wrote:May I ask how is your relationship with your kids? kids need an emotional connection, something that you cannot provide/express on the same level as other people. I guess it's a bit easier for you as you're the father figure and emotions aren't necessary as they're for mothers, but still, do you fake your emotions/expressions for them? If you don't, how does it affects them and their opinion about you?

I assume the relationship is fine. I am not sure what kids expect but as mentioned, I think being physically there is enough. As you mentioned, the wife handles the emotional support. On that same token, they also usually argue with her so I guess that fulfills their roles as emotional beings. I don't believe I fake anything and my affectivity isn't dead, just reduced.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post