Our partner

Is Apathy The Best Revenge?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Is Apathy The Best Revenge?

Postby CityMouse » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:09 pm

"Begin then with little things. Is a little oil spilt? Is a little wine stolen? [Is someone bullying you?] Say to yourself, 'this is the price of apathy, of tranquility, because nothing can be had for nothing.
-Epictetus

So I feel like the voices might be desensitizing me to criticism, harassment, and verbal abuse. I have already started to become indifferent to criticism and praise. I'm starting to truly not care what people think. I'm fed up with them and I'm over it. This could be an amazing opportunity to practice apathy.

I just fear that in my mind and in real life, it will just lead people to ramp up their bs. I picture people taking my cigarette out of my mouth and harassing me to quit cold turkey on the spot, people taking my cell phone and smashing it to the ground, people stealing stuff from me coolly, etc. It makes me want to go back to avoiding people, but I feel like the cycle would just start again (paranoia about the unknown, feeling like I'm only delaying the inevitable).

Of course I could fight back. But I've tried that several times. Several times real people have encouraged me to express anger and fight back, and when I did, thinking they were trying to help me, they stabbed me in the back. For example, someone said to me, "I think you're too carefree. I think that makes you primitive. All you do is eat and sleep. You need to fight for a cause." Then when I DID start getting angry, he said, "you're an angry b*tch."

Now I know better than that. I've learned to not trust everyone's judgment because I see most as wolves in sheep's clothing.

So do you think apathy is the answer?
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is Apathy The Best Revenge?

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:37 pm

I think apathy is an answer but not the right one. However, it feels comfortable for me so I go with it. It's making it work that is the difficult part. I'm not sure anyone cares for the apathetic individual.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 pm

Postby smirks » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:30 am

Think of apathy as a tool and not a crutch. It's not the answer for everything, but it works nicely when people are trying to con or bully you. I think you'll find that persistence is not a quality that most people possess. Cons and bullies are both looking for an immediate emotional reward from you for their troubles. If they don't get it, they usually try someone else. If you teach others, things get really interesting.

Also, I don't think that doing things with the primary motivation of revenge is healthy. Do what makes you most comfortable, successful or happy, rather than focusing on getting a negative emotion out of someone else.

The thing about other peoples' opinions are that they are often not as well thought out or conscientious or wise coming from people who are not severely introverted. I think that a lot of people kind of just say what comes to mind immediately, and it's a little difficult relating to that from the schizoid perspective, because we internalize like 99% of our thoughts and spend our lives researching and building these big things in our heads. The difference in that level of care to thoughts and ideas usually leaves us feeling a little betrayed by bad advice, I think.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:40 am

Postby CityMouse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 am

Thanks guys! I feel super relieved.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Quoth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:30 am

But revenge against whom and for what?
as if in a broken jug for one backwards moment
water might keep its shape

https://youtu.be/VivuMRzQyw0
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CityMouse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:06 am

I thought it was a way to cope with the voices in my head who are obnoxious bullies and to deal with the world. For years, I have felt like it's just me and just everybody else. I see people as predators and if I'm honest with myself, I'm no better. For example, I eat meat because I'm selfish and in denial of animal cruelty. Or for example, people stroking their egos on Facebook. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes, especially family. My mom seems genuinely good and moral. My family on Facebook seems to just want to keep in touch and share love (and grief when someone dies). But my cynical mind protects me so it's practical too.

Anyway, the apathy just caused the voices to ramp up the bs. So I keep to myself and discipline my thoughts. If I can continue to avoid most people, then I'll feel safer. Thanks anyway.

Btw, I didn't mean revenge as in getting back at people i.e. people from the past or ticking people off. I meant justice or a way to rectify the situation, like how some people say that success is the best revenge.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CityMouse » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:20 am

I'm apathetic towards everything outside my control. Are you?
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:04 pm

CityMouse wrote:I'm apathetic towards everything outside my control. Are you?

No, I have a general concern for the human race from an observer standpoint. I guess you could say it's similar to what God does. Just sitting idly by as the world turns, accepting people for what they are, hoping for better.

I'm not actually sure what I have control over. I try to make it as little as possible. Does hygiene count because I'm not apathetic towards that.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:40 pm

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post