Our partner

Addiction in SPDs

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Addiction in SPDs

Postby inkblotter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:16 am

Hello, as someone with SPD there are very few things that i enjoy and almost all of them are solitary activities like playing squash, playing video games, reading books, listening to music and such. the thing is that because i spend most of my day on the computer, my family thinks im addicted. i know someone will say addicts dont realize that they need help but i am 100% sure i am not addicted. when i explain to them, they dismiss everything i say as the word of an addict due to which i cannot have a proper conversation with them. anyone else have problems like this where their family falsely diagnoses you with a problem you dont have just because you are schizoid?
inkblotter
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Addiction in SPDs

Postby naps » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:57 pm

I was labeled irresponsible by my family because I didn't go to every family function and send birthday cards to all my aunts/uncles/cousins etc.

It used to be my job to wash the car. My mother would ask, I mean tell me to do it at 3PM on a Saturday when everyone on the block was outside hanging out. If I didn't do it right away and waited until close to dinnertime when there were less people out, that was irresponsible too.

I never talked to my parents, never shared what was going on in my life with them. Maybe they thought I hated them, or was hiding something.

I never told them about my diagnosis because they wouldn't have understood. If they were alive today, they'd be Trump supporters. So what's the use of trying to explain SPD to someone who believes the earth is flat?
Be nice.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Postby muswrx » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:22 pm

I don't know what your parents are usually like, of course, but I think this is a normal parent thing to say. I used to get it from mine all the time and they did (do) not know about my diagnosis. If they know about your diagnosis though, wouldn't they understand that you like spending the vast majority of your time alone? I think as long as you can go to work/school/gym/whatever and not be constantly thinking about using your computer, then you're alright.
It's annoying though, I know. The majority of the time I was on my computer was spent learning two languages, while they watched brainless crap TV all night, so I guess I came out on top. 8)
muswrx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Postby Holodeck » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:06 pm

I was labelled by my family as being addicted to things (or having some sort of issues related to me being a terrible person) when I wouldn't be giving them the validation they felt they (constantly non-****ing stop) deserved.
Holodeck
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Postby CityMouse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:08 am

Even if you were a net addict, most people are and there are far worse addictions.

-- Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:08 am --

Even if you were a net addict, most people are and there are far worse addictions.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby poshlost » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm lucky in a way that one of my parents has been an alcoholic the last ten years. (Multiple arrests, driven drunk, wet themselves, passed out in various rooms of the house, etc. etc.)

Gives me a pretty easy out when my family arbitrarily decides I'm doing a thing too much. Too easy, honestly.
poshlost
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:39 pm

I think if you are a solitary being, spending a lot of time on your computer goes hand in hand. I'm sure if you didn't have a computer, you would probably continue doing the other solitary activities you enjoy.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that you are a solitary person who enjoys being on your pc, not a person who has become solitary because of an addiction to your pc. And as citymouse stated, even if you were addicted there are far worse addictions.

I think my family would have chosen Internet addiction over heroin addiction any day.
dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)
xcagedsilhouttex
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby naps » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:55 pm

xcagedsilhouttex wrote:I guess the point I am trying to make is that you are a solitary person who enjoys being on your pc, not a person who has become solitary because of an addiction to your pc. And as citymouse stated, even if you were addicted there are far worse addictions.

Like this?

Be nice.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 pm

dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)