Our partner

What's Wrong With SPD?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

What's Wrong With SPD?

Postby CityMouse » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:15 am

You all seem to have a very empowering mentality and personality that most people would kill for. You also seem content and satisfied with things, or at least unconcerned about misfortune.

What wrong with being schizoid?
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What's Wrong With SPD?

Postby emillionth » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 am

It's just like if you ask a pathological narcissist, they're awesome and perfect, but obviously they're not.

You can't extrapolate someone's actual quality of life from what they look or sound like from a distance.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:41 am

Socialization. You lose a lot if you don't conform.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Postby CityMouse » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:41 am

They're "obviously" not awesome, according to whom? And how do you define "quality of life?"

-- Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:43 am --

iabsurdlyexist wrote:Socialization. You lose a lot if you don't conform.

But isn't it worth it?

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

-Nietzsche

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/frie ... che_134044
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dazz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:59 am

Since you felt the need to use Nietzsche for his clout, sorry to burst your bubble but he never said that and it goes against his whole philosophy...he welcomed struggle.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby emillionth » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:03 am

CityMouse wrote:They're "obviously" not awesome, according to whom?

Well, it's by definition. "A pathological narcissist" can only be pathological. :lol: It's just an analogy.

And how do you define "quality of life?"

That's a good question, but the answer isn't "by the tone and content of my posts here", even if they may be a reflection of it to some extent.

I'm not saying there's nothing positive to be taken from what-have-you (SPD and thoughts from schizoids included), but that doesn't automatically make what-have-you a good thing overall.

Sure, I'm content and satisfied in circumstances where most people wouldn't, but a lot of it comes from the desire to believe that I'm content and satisfied with larger circumstances that I'll probably never really be content with (because of psychological stuff or because of practical consequences) because I feel/believe that I have no option.

Like, say, if I needed to move some furniture that I can't move on my own. I'd probably convince myself that I don't want or need to move it anyway. But it would still bother me, not only just as much, but actually double as much, because there would be a constant effort to balance walking around it and ignoring that it's there at the same time. The example works both as a literal one and as a metaphorical one.
Last edited by emillionth on Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:05 am

CityMouse wrote:But isn't it worth it?

I think it's worth it but it doesn't make this life easier. Luckily, we have social programs in place to help out.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby naps » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:55 am

CityMouse wrote:What wrong with being schizoid?

The lifestyle that brings me the most comfort and satisfaction is incongruous with the expectations I've always had for myself. Thankfully, the agony of regret over a life of squandered potential escapes me. In my case, at least, apathy seems to have worked nicely as an emotional safety net.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:36 pm

naps wrote:The lifestyle that brings me the most comfort and satisfaction is incongruous with the expectations I've always had for myself.

The expectation I set for myself was to retire as early as possible so that I had more control over my human interaction.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:12 pm

CityMouse wrote:But isn't it worth it?

I think I answered this too hastily but the sentiment remains the same. I think I may have struggled less in life if I had known and understood my condition earlier on. I spent most of my life trying to fit in because I assumed that's what everyone did, continually. I didn't realize I was missing crucial tools to get it and be successful at it. This could be the source of my Avoidant traits.

As I have gotten older, I started getting more hints that I am a bit off. This caused me to relax more and more and lower my expectations of what I am capable of. In some aspects, I was more successful trying to fit in but it took a toll on my mental health. At this point, I think I could find a happy middle ground but I have no motivation to do so. I think I have the resources to stay an observer and have no problem staying that path. So yes, totally worth it.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum