Our partner

Are you apathetic in regards to your life situation?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Are you apathetic in regards to your life situation?

Postby SchizyOfAstora » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:19 am

I would say i am to my own detriment. I have to make massive effort to produce a positive change.
SchizyOfAstora
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are you apathetic in regards to your life situation?

Postby 1201236 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:47 am

This is a somewhat cloudy question. Am I apathetic in respect of whom? By what measure is a man deemed apathetic?

Life situation is also a riddle. What do you mean? I guess it is not food, water and shelter.
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:15 am

Postby naps » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:36 am

I was for many years, mainly due to depression, an affinity for hedonism, and the belief that acting on any ambition I felt would be too much work. I didn't know where to start.

I have to make massive effort to produce a positive change.

Putting it this way will just make it seem more difficult. If you want to make a positive change, start with something small, even if it's seemingly insignificant in relation to the whole of your problem(s). Then move on and try to improve something else. Work on the easy stuff first. Don't worry too much about monitoring your progress, just keep going.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 am

Postby SchizyOfAstora » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:35 pm

1201236 wrote:This is a somewhat cloudy question. Am I apathetic in respect of whom? By what measure is a man deemed apathetic?

Life situation is also a riddle. What do you mean? I guess it is not food, water and shelter.

By life situation i mean:

economic condition
level of comfort
level of education
free time
relationships
overall satisfaction

By apathetic is having a problem in one of the above but not caring enough to do something to change it. This is dependent on the level of comfort.
SchizyOfAstora
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:40 pm

I'd say I am fairly unconcerned about most things. However, I did make something of myself regardless. I seem to have a weird interplay between not caring and my actions that show otherwise. I think it's because I also don't care much for my time so I fill it with whatever. Luckily, some things end up being productive. Not sure if this makes any sense but that's kind of how I see it.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 am

Postby smirks » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:11 pm

A little. I hesitated a lot on my career path, but not because I didn't care what I did. I think it was more about being very cautious, and more than a little bit afraid. I wanted to be cautious that I picked a career path that I could enjoy on a daily basis, and I was wary, because, let's face it, you need a few mentors to sort of "give" you your career. There has to be some sort of professional trust and nurture relationship, and I just don't trust anyone that much.

I can be a bit stoic in terms of the disadvantages and frustrations I'm willing to endure in my life. For a good long while I didn't have a car or a license, and I've had less than ideal or comfortable living conditions because I didn't seek to improve them.

I think I am apathetic in that I don't have the motivation to please authority figures, or achieve the kind of success that is given to you by other people. I think that I'm also willing to put up with a lot of non-ideal situations that would motivate others.

I don 't know if that makes me apathetic. I want to do well by my own standards. I do care about some things.
smirks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:15 am

Postby anathegram » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:25 pm

yes, absolutely
anathegram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Postby wickerwoman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 am

I used to be but then I ended up unemployed for four years and almost homeless.

After that I said "whatever it takes to get and hold down a job where I can afford my own place, I will do".

If the choice is plastering on a fake smile and slogging through 40 hours a week in an office to come home to my own place and do whatever I want the rest of the time, versus sitting in my parents' basement with nothing to do, no money to go anywhere and listening to their #######4 24/7, I'll take the former thanks.

Doing nothing is also a choice and if it's making you unhappy it's the wrong one.
wickerwoman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:15 am

Postby CityMouse » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:18 pm

"Necessity is the mother of invention." Interesting share.
CityMouse
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:13 pm

wickerwoman wrote:I used to be but then I ended up unemployed for four years and almost homeless.

After that I said "whatever it takes to get and hold down a job where I can afford my own place, I will do".

If the choice is plastering on a fake smile and slogging through 40 hours a week in an office to come home to my own place and do whatever I want the rest of the time, versus sitting in my parents' basement with nothing to do, no money to go anywhere and listening to their #######4 24/7, I'll take the former thanks.

Doing nothing is also a choice and if it's making you unhappy it's the wrong one.

Only if you have the capacity to hold down a steady job which I am sure many on this site are not able to do.

I would work right now if it weren't for the psychotic episodes that keep popping up and dissociative episodes where I don't remember chunks of what I did.

Tad bit hard to work when you think people are trying to poison your coffee or when your employer asks what you have done during the day and you can't remember.
dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)

But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all
xcagedsilhouttex
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Next

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post