Our partner

How you had been diagnosed, circumstances age, etc?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

How you had been diagnosed, circumstances age, etc?

Postby citizen » Wed May 16, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello all. I have NOT been diagnosed of SPD by a psychiatry doctor.
Mi "official" diagnostic is "Neurotic depression" since 17 years ago.

But I'm now 41, have a decent cognitive capacity, and I'm almost sure I'm a SPD sufferer
because 2 years ago I read that T. Millon book.

I think my psychiatry doctor suspects it... almost he is sure I have something "cluster A"
and a symptom is dysthymia.

Perhaps he thinks "whats the point anyway. No cure, no hope. Let it be".
He is a NHS doctor.

I'm interested in how you where diagnosed, and the circumstances surrounding it, your age,
your feelings, etc.

Have a good day.
citizen
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue May 22, 2018 9:34 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How you had been diagnosed, circumstances age, etc?

Postby anathegram » Wed May 16, 2018 8:02 pm

I was referred to a clinical psychologist in my early twenties (eight years ago?), after it became clear that treating me for depression wasn't working. My actual diagnosis at the time was something like 'PD-NOS with schizoid traits'. I had been looking for a label I could point people towards to say "actually, your attempts to fix me are killing me". That was close enough. I didn't start identifying with it openly (you know, relatively…) until recently.

e: that's a bit confused. I never mentioned the diagnosis to anyone until this year, so I suppose I was in fact looking to justify myself to myself.

I get the impression some doctors are now very reluctant to give out a PD diagnosis unprompted (especially SPD) as they don't think they are helpful. You might as well just ask him what he thinks.
anathegram
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 pm

Postby Eight » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm

anathegram wrote:I get the impression some doctors are now very reluctant to give out a PD diagnosis unprompted (especially SPD) as they don't think they are helpful. You might as well just ask him what he thinks.

In the US, asking for their thoughts on what they think are your issues, and what categories of diagnoses might be a good fit for you, might get a client/patient a lot further than asking for an official diagnosis. More and more, clinicians are reluctant to give out official diagnoses of personality disorders.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue May 22, 2018 11:34 am

Postby emillionth » Wed May 16, 2018 9:30 pm

I was struggling with college, and my chronic sleep/mood problems and anxiety levels were skyrocketing, even though I was finally living alone, which was a massive relief. I was physically sick, but I had already been tested for all kinds of physical problems (and diagnosed with / properly treated for a couple of serious ones). It became clear to me that what would come after college would be even worse than what my college years had been. I think I was aware by then that I probably had SPD, but it was just a name for things I already knew, and not very relevant to my real problems. It was interesting, but not much else.

After reading a lot about all kinds of things, I got to the conclusion that I almost certainly had ADHD (which is almost never diagnosed where I live). I went to see a psychiatrist, and he promptly confirmed that it was clear that I did have it. But, for some reason, he refused to prescribe me ADHD medication. He prescribed me antidepressants instead, which made things worse in all kinds of ways. I was always weird, and I knew that, but one of the things that the antidepressants did was make me bona-fide crazy. Not long after, I dropped out of college, and family pressure/conflicts became my biggest problem. That was the point when it started to feel like it would be helpful to have the word of a professional confirming that I was indeed crazy.

I got diagnosed with schizoid PD, then schizotypal PD by the same therapist not long after, and then even schizophrenia at one point by a psychiatrist. They told me I was hopelessly unemployable and should apply for benefits. I don't actually have schizophrenia, and "benefits" are sort of a fictional thing where I live, but I guess the provisional diagnosis served its purpose. I wasn't "lazy" and "spiteful" and "ungrateful" and "playing dumb" and so on. I had actual problems to deal with, and was honestly trying to deal with them. That professional confirmation did wonders for my relationship with my parents.

I still needed those freaking ADHD meds though. When I went to see that first psychiatrist again, he refused again to prescribe me the meds, "except maybe if I had Asperger's or something like that" (I still don't understand his reasoning), which he didn't think I had. I had read about Asperger's before, and sometimes it seemed like a possibility, sometimes not, but it seemed mostly a dead end like SPD (I already knew I had ADHD anyway, so I knew I had neurological problems). But then at that point I suddenly had a reason to get a diagnosis for it too (regardless if it would be accurate or not). And that's what I did, which finally got me that ritalin prescription that I had been after all along. And, partly thanks to it, I can support myself nowadays. I still think it's entirely subjective whether I do have Asperger's/autism, or schizoid PD or schizotypal PD instead. They all seem equally valid, and I'm not a stereotypical case of any of them.

But yeah... if you're curious, then just ask your doctor. But other than that, if you don't already have a particular use in mind for a diagnosis, then I think it's unlikely to be of much any use or relevance. I think it's mostly something like a conversation starter for therapy. I think what really matters is to set (realistic and straightforward) goals for any psychiatric treatment that you go through. An all-around "cure" is just never going to happen. What would it even mean to be "cured" anyway, right? And if there's no defined (and mutually agreed upon) measure of "progress", then it's very easy to end up just going in circles.
emillionth
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby anathegram » Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 pm

I'll never deny being lazy, spiteful, ungrateful, and, on occasion, playing dumb. Those are qualities to be embraced.

emillionth wrote:(I still don't understand his reasoning)

I brought up the possibility of having ADHD with a psychiatrist once. He told me that I didn't have it, because my grades had been fine (up to the point when I dropped out of school). The mind of a psychiatrist is an inscrutable labyrinth.
anathegram
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby emillionth » Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

anathegram wrote:(up to the point when I dropped out of school)

Such a tiny detail, right?
emillionth
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby anathegram » Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Don't bother calling the pathologist – he was perfectly healthy before he died.
anathegram
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post