Our partner

I believe that I am a schizoid, but whats your take?

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

Antisocial or schizoid?

Antisocial
100%
Schizoid
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: I believe that I am a schizoid, but whats your take?

Postby naps » Sat May 12, 2018 2:30 pm

what4 wrote:I figured i was relatively obvious, but ill spell it out for you, i do not expect nor desire answers from experts, i expect answers from schizoids, hense my posting in a schizoid forum

But we're not all schizoids here.

Holodeck wrote:And I thought it was obvious that the majority of schizoids don't even bother seeking professional help so they could very well be something else entirely and not know it.

Exactly. Many people here just identify with some of the traits. I was diagnosed and even I have my doubts sometimes.

ill actually get more of what i came for which is if schizoids think im antisocial or a fellow schizoid, having the option to give their opinion at the click of a button is easier for them

Oh, no. Some of us like to talk. A lot.

and only having option a and b is easier for me

But there is no a or b. Personality disorders are frequently vaguely defined, traits very from person to person. Trying to pigeonhole yourself as this or that will not do you any favors. Reading and participating in the threads will probably give you what you should be looking for: a vague idea on which to build on. Psychology is anything but an an exact science. There are a lot of bad psychiatrists out there. There's no definitive test for psychological disorders in most cases. Unlike, say, a cancer diagnosis, many diagnoses by a professional pretty much boil down to one person's opinion.

So now we're back at the beginning again. Probably the most you can do is to click on the diagnostic criteria sticky at the top of the main page and see how you match up.

Holodeck wrote:
what4 wrote:whats the point?

In having the forums? The reason many come here is to compare, contrast, and journal how we are as well as of course connecting with like-minded individuals (or merely pass time when bored.)

This forum is pretty much the entirety of my social life. :wink:
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 pm

what4 wrote:
shock_the_monkey wrote:so, i guess that as the mod that approved this thread, maybe i fluffed it a little bit. however, we get lots of these kinds of questions in AS. i've never had a problem with people offering their opinions, especially if they're coming from an experiential basis, including me. and, i guess the thing that swung it for me is that you say you believe you have schizoid PD.

whats the point?

... the point, from a mod perspective, is that maybe this would have sat better in LWMI, being as you don't have a diagnosis. the PD forums are for those diagnosed with the applicable PD.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:14 am

Postby anathegram » Sat May 12, 2018 6:12 pm

OP you've explained why you don't think you're a sociopath; why do you think you're schizoid?
anathegram
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am

Postby emillionth » Sat May 12, 2018 6:35 pm

I think the answer to that sort of question tends to depend more on the reasons why you ask the question than on the question itself. Depending on your reasons, a magic 8 ball might do the trick already.

On a side note, your self-description sounds like a villain straight out of a half-assed children's book. "Evil is fun, nyeh heh heh". But why? What are your motivations to behave in socially punishable ways? What standards are you comparing yourself to, anyway? Do people express feeling betrayed or manipulated by you?

Also I think something that people tend to forget is that PD labels are mostly descriptive, and not very predictive. They're just sets of features that tend to exist in tandem, which don't say much about other features that the person may or may not have. They're meant for classification purposes much more than for explanatory purposes.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby what4 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:48 pm

anathegram wrote:OP you've explained why you don't think you're a sociopath; why do you think you're schizoid?

ASPD and SPD are the only PD's that i seem to relate to, excluding NPD because i dont have the characteristics of wanting to be in the lime light and i certainly dont have a large ego.
but back to the question, i only know the small amount that ive read of schizoids but it seems to relatively match up, i wear different personalities like a costume and im able to befriend anyone whom i desire, which i know isnt schizoid-like, but underneath it all theres nothing besides wanting to survive and gain a partner, im also easily put down, like when it comes to criticism or such, but im usually able to just sort of mute it, turn it off and react with whatever emotion that i feel would benefit me the most, even though its faked. then i also entertain myself in the simplist ways, im my best company, i enjoy deducing things mechanisms and operations, including other people for that matter
what4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:14 am

Postby what4 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:14 pm

emillionth wrote:I think the answer to that sort of question tends to depend more on the reasons why you ask the question than on the question itself.

I ask because i want to see what schizoids think, or if anyone who reads the thread knows of another term or disorder that i might relate to, besides the villain from a childrens book

emillionth wrote:What are your motivations to behave in socially punishable ways? What standards are you comparing yourself to, anyway? Do people express feeling betrayed or manipulated by you?

its like a second nature to me, if i didnt put on a face then i wouldnt be able to make people like me and therefore not be able to get whatever it is that i wanted from them. i feel like its a survival instinct of sorts, whenever confronted with any social interaction i begin with a basic mirroring, im able to show traits of the person within myself, i.e. bodylanguage, facial expressions, tone of voice, and mindset. this happens without thought, atleast most the time. then i proceed with whatever strategy i deem appropriate if i see potential gain from the person, otherwise i just keep the mirror.
what4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby EmpathySucks » Sat May 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Why do you care?
EmpathySucks
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:14 am

Postby what4 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:18 pm

EmpathySucks wrote:Why do you care?

care of what?
what4
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby emillionth » Sat May 12, 2018 7:31 pm

what4 wrote:I ask because i want to see what schizoids think, or if anyone who reads the thread knows of another term or disorder that i might relate to

That's like saying "I drink because it's a liquid".

So why are you ingesting it?

its like a second nature to me, if i didnt put on a face then i wouldnt be able to make people like me and therefore not be able to get whatever it is that i wanted from them. i feel like its a survival instinct of sorts, whenever confronted with any social interaction i begin with a basic mirroring, im able to show traits of the person within myself, i.e. bodylanguage, facial expressions, tone of voice, and mindset. this happens without thought, atleast most the time. then i proceed with whatever strategy i deem appropriate if i see potential gain from the person, otherwise i just keep the mirror.

That's all in your head. There's nothing in there about the way you behave or the way you actually treat other people.

Imagine if a computer asked you to determine if/how it's malfunctioning, based exclusively on its own description of the zeroes and ones that go through its processor.
Is this now?
emillionth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby naps » Sat May 12, 2018 7:43 pm

what4 wrote:..i only know the small amount that ive read of schizoids..

Read more.

Seriously, no one here knows their ass from their elbow.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:14 am

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post