Our partner

How do you explain your lack of interest in socializing

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Holodeck

How do you explain your lack of interest in socializing

Postby evawright » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:36 pm

Do you tell other people that you have SPD? I usually just say I'm an extreme introvert, but people don't get this and still expect me to talk with them over the phone, video/text chat, email, etc.
evawright
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:04 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do you explain your lack of interest in socializing

Postby vento90 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:05 pm

I don't need to explain it because I don't talk to anyone besides parents/psychologist/psychiatrist.

No need to explain it when you don't work and only leave the house when you absolutely have to like seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/practitioner
vento90
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Postby evawright » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:48 pm

vento90 wrote:I don't need to explain it because I don't talk to anyone besides parents/psychologist/psychiatrist.

No need to explain it when you don't work and only leave the house when you absolutely have to like seeing a psychologist/psychiatrist/practitioner

Do you interact with people online at all?
evawright
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Holodeck » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:54 pm

I claim I'm either busy with work stuff or act more tired and claim my lack of sleep makes me less social. When I'm "tired all the time" I claim loud neighbors.
Holodeck
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Postby N1ghty » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 pm

I don't explain it. I just remain awkward or vague about it.

-- Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm --

evawright wrote:
Do you interact with people online at all?

On certain topics I can do well both irl and online. But personal chit chat I find as uncomfortable both online or irl.
N1ghty
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 am

Postby naps » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:29 pm

I don't explain. People figure it out eventually.

Actions speak louder than words, so merely saying that I'm not a people person doesn't work. Sometimes they respond by saying "So am I" :roll: It's much easier and more effective to simply rescind social obligations. Making excuses implies that you intended to socialize in the first place.

The only thing more tiring and annoying than socializing is trying to explain why you don't. People don't understand. They're not programmed to.

I talk to people through email and here. But that's not socializing. It's just communication.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Postby evawright » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 am

N1ghty wrote:The only thing more tiring and annoying than socializing is trying to explain why you don't. People don't understand. They're not programmed to.

So true! I've spent countless hours trying to explain myself and people just don't get it. It always feels like I'm beating my head against the wall. They think I merely need some encouragement or convincing in order to enjoy social activities. They can't imagine someone could be totally content and happy without any social interaction at all.
evawright
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby RobotZombie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

I actually did tell someone, two people actually, this was me trying to be more open with people and hoping they could understand me better. What I got was this person 1 said, oh I’m like that too, I don’t like being around people much and I think I may have Aspergers. His explanation was because he had to make an effort with people when sometimes he didn’t want to. He is the most talkative man I have ever met! Has an ex wife and two kids, is currently in a relationship and has many. He also has so many friends and will stop to talk to anyone for ages, I’ve seen people try to leave but with not much luck. These people then complain to me about it, because I’ll just go away once they’re done.

Person 2 was a bit more interested in what it was and what it meant, I have bipolar II as well. She was nice enough to ask about it, but then got annoyed if I didn’t say hello one day or if I didn’t stop to talk, I didn’t want to disturb her (I can’t read how people respond to me that well). Much the same since, me saying the wrong thing and having to explain or asking her to be honest with me, so I don’t have to figure things out (that didn’t work, people feel the need to be polite) I think it requires a little bit of effort from the other person if they are willing.

I guess I explained because I wanted to see how people responded to it or me. Sometimes I can go a while without talking to anyone and that’s a bit strange for most people to understand as well as my odd way of explaining and seeing things (odd to norms).
RobotZombie
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 am

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post