Our partner

what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:14 am

@HSS

I think maybe "agnostic" was the wrong word. Perhaps "vested interest" would have made my point more clear.

Most people say they want truth or an additional perspective, but what they want is for that to be their truth and their perspective. A good teacher, indeed a good thinker, is a person able to argue in favour of something they don't believe in.

Knowing something to be right is the first indication that it's probably wrong; that you lack the whole perspective, as nothing is 100% true or right. Things are only right in context and people seem to be less interested in context.

Someone once showed me an idea they used to convey perspective. They showed three people a photo of the same object, although no one could see the other's image. They were then asked questions about the object and none of them could agree on how many sides or shape etc.

One saw a triangle, one saw a square and one a rectangle. In essence, they'd all been looking at a wedge of cheese, but the photo was taken from different angles. There was no way that they would agree, as they were all 100% convinced that they were describing what they saw.

What was missing was context, but the only way they could agree was for one of them to "let go" of their perspective and step over to the other so that they could see what the other person was seeing, making it clear.

One of the most important things we possess is our opinion, but the value of the opinion has been lost to many through the idea of "it's just my opinion," offered in such a way that it can be dismissed as having transient relevance.

If an opinion is researched, placed in context and delivered with conviction then it's the most powerful tool a person can wield, but like all tools it needs to be carefully honed and used with care, precision and effect.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:22 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby HSS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:@HSS

I think maybe "agnostic" was the wrong word. Perhaps "vested interest" would have made my point more clear.

Most people say they want truth or an additional perspective, but what they want is for that to be their truth and their perspective. A good teacher, indeed a good thinker, is a person able to argue in favour of something they don't believe in.

Knowing something to be right is the first indication that it's probably wrong; that you lack the whole perspective, as nothing is 100% true or right. Things are only right in context and people seem to be less interested in context.

Someone once showed me an idea they used to convey perspective. They showed three people a photo of the same object, although no one could see the other's image. They were then asked questions about the object and none of them could agree on how many sides or shape etc.

One saw a triangle, one saw a square and one a rectangle. In essence, they'd all been looking at a wedge of cheese, but the photo was taken from different angles. There was no way that they would agree, as they were all 100% convinced that they were describing what they saw.

What was missing was context, but the only way they could agree was for one of them to "let go" of their perspective and step over to the other so that they could see what the other person was seeing, making it clear.

One of the most important things we possess is our opinion, but the value of the opinion has been lost to many through the idea of "it's just my opinion," offered in such a way that it can be dismissed as having transient relevance.

If an opinion is researched, placed in context and delivered with conviction then it's the most powerful tool a person can wield, but like all tools it needs to be carefully honed and used with care, precision and effect.

It's a great post, and I notice in it two very important skills:
some passage let understand that you can change your pov, and understand other's pov, and I wonder... isn't that the basis of empathy too???
The second skill is theoretical thought: your post shows that you are able to synthesize two complementary truths in a wider truth, and that's very important to, for harmony, unity, and other stuff...
So, I don't know what your brain scan showed, but these two skills are there, and they can be very important for you.
I hope that my comment doesn't sound “prig”, sorry if it's that way. I wished to underline that, because I think you should remind your post later, when you are struggling. It could be useful.
“Humor is reason gone mad."

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 pm

HSS wrote: isn't that the basis of empathy too???

That's what empathy should be and it's what people think they're doing with empathy. However, my experience of what people describe as "natural" empathy seems to be a conveying of ones own self's motives and feelings onto another and subconsciously fearing for themselves.

True empathy should be derived through reason, not reaction.

The second skill is theoretical thought: your post shows that you are able to synthesize two complementary truths in a wider truth, and that's very important to, for harmony, unity, and other stuff...
So, I don't know what your brain scan showed, but these two skills are there, and they can be very important for you.

It's very important to me. The reason I spend so much time analysing this stuff is that I have to; auto-pilot doesn't work.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:22 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Oblivion » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:36 pm

Got a heads up that my landlord wants to rip through my kitchen wall in search of a leak.

No.

When he comes a-knocking at my door I will tell him I have the corona.

In fact, from this point on, that will be my answer to everything.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Postby salles » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:00 pm

Oblivion wrote:Got a heads up that my landlord wants to rip through my kitchen wall in search of a leak.

No.

Yes the virus is proving useful at times.
I personally Love wearing a mask at work. It hides a certain contemptuous, mouth opening, chin drop thing I do when I have to deal with stupid people.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:22 am

Postby salles » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:16 pm

I saw the psychiatrist finally. We had an interesting chat. He only works Thursdays, a day that I cannot usually get off work, so I doubt I will see him again.
I made an appointment with the psychotherapist he recommended. We had a chat. Says she is taking on clients again in July. I felt unsure about her based on a photo and brief phone chat. After the phone call I googled her more thoroughly and found lots of info regarding a recent court case she has lost. She was accused of gross betrayal of trust, involving a large sum of money lent to her by a friend.... ( long story)
It amused me how when I looked at her photo again after reading this,how much bias had kicked in. Her mouth looked mean, her eyes fearful and crazy, her hair and large size off-putting. Any niggling doubts I had were instantly transformed into a NO F WAY!
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:22 am

Postby Esmoke » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:40 am

Oblivion wrote:Got a heads up that my landlord wants to rip through my kitchen wall in search of a leak.

No.

My landlord is selling the house and is parading one after the other through here trying to get a buyer I should come down with covid too. I’m moving in a few months so I’d only need to pull the scam off until I’m gone
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Oblivion » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 pm

Landlord has not contacted me or knocked on my door about the plumbing. I'm hoping it was false information.

If he comes looking for the rent I will say I'm infected.

I don't know what his problem is. Every month it's the same thing: "Where's your rent?"

He really needs to get over this rent nonsense. It's an unhealthy obsession.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Esmoke » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Oblivion wrote:Landlord has not contacted me or knocked on my door about the plumbing. I'm hoping it was false information.

If he comes looking for the rent I will say I'm infected.

I don't know what his problem is. Every month it's the same thing: "Where's your rent?"

He really needs to get over this rent nonsense. It's an unhealthy obsession.

Sound like stalking behaviors I’d report him to the department of homeland security
Just another sock puppet in a dancing children’s show for the amusement of the masses
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Esmoke » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:57 pm

I sliced my finger open trying to cut an English muffin last night while half cocked, I probably needed a stitch or two (it’s still opening up and bleeding) but I just closed it with some gorilla glue and went to sleep. I’m so unsophisticated it’s ridiculous
Esmoke
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post