Our partner

what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Schizoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Tyler

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby Tyler » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm

Cholls wrote:
Tyler wrote:Orwell's 1984 was a book I tried to read out of high school, un-medicated for my Schizoaffective and Bipolar stuff, and the book scared the ever living $#%^ out of me. I see it being listed and advertised to me as an audio book, but like, I don't know, I don't think I could do it. Like, it's considered science fiction, but if like, Amazon's website or Barnes and Noble's listed it under horror, I'd be okay with that.

I hear you. Frankly, not sure I'll ever be able to read 1984. I've accepted that there are a lot of "must read" books with which I should not torture myself.

A very similar thing happened to me with Crime and Punishment. Shortly after starting it, I got. INCREDIBLY depressed for a very long time and stopped reading altogether.

Amazingly, I am enjoying The Divine Comedy a lot. I have to stick with uplifting material, as perceiving the dark side of things tends to be my default setting.


I remember Chapter 4 of that book (I think) is like, one paragraph that lasted for fifteen pages, and it's all a letter. Boy did I get manic with that. A modern day book with a lot of action and dialogue I can read without getting manic. Fifteen pages of a single paragraph that's a single letter will take me to the moon. An audio book, however, may be nice.
Email me if you want a doughnut
Image
Image
Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck
User avatar
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 am
Blog: View Blog (4)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:37 am

My mind is on not being able to sleep when I have to get up early, and not having the capacity for anything that involves any real thought, and the fact that my snakes left me Valentine's Day notes.


One note read:

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'd like to use you as a heat rock so I don't die because I'm cold blooded"

For effort and being a sweetheart: A+

And the other note read:

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
You feed me
So I don't strangle you"

For structure, her charm and beauty: A
^
Some points deducted because it was written in blood which means I'm afraid to look in her hide, and I'll have to search her everytime she comes home from now on.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 am
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby Tyler » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 am

DaturaInnoxia wrote:My mind is on not being able to sleep when I have to get up early, and not having the capacity for anything that involves any real thought, and the fact that my snakes left me Valentine's Day notes.


One note read:

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'd like to use you as a heat rock so I don't die because I'm cold blooded"

For effort and being a sweetheart: A+

And the other note read:

"Roses are red
Violets are blue
You feed me
So I don't strangle you"

For structure, her charm and beauty: A
^
Some points deducted because it was written in blood which means I'm afraid to look in her hide, and I'll have to search her everytime she comes home from now on.



How sweet! <3

My birds all left me one.

First, from my Lovebird...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"


I thought it was so sweet that he put it in his own words.


Then my Cockatiel left me one.


"Scratch my head or you die."


So sweet.
Email me if you want a doughnut
Image
Image
Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck
User avatar
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:10 am

Tyler wrote:
First, from my Lovebird...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"


I thought it was so sweet that he put it in his own words.

^
His own words, my ass

Image
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 am
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:52 am

So I finished Moby Dick and now I'm questioning everything in life. The whole time I'm all "while this is enjoyable, I don't quite understand why it's considered a classic..."

Then it ends. Then, and only then, did I understand...
Email me if you want a doughnut
Image
Image
Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck
User avatar
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:12 pm

So I've been talking to my good friend and former Psychforums Site Admin Otter about literature, and we got to talking about film adaptations of classical literature. I brought up Sense and Sensibility, and he said he's never read it or seen the movie, but he did say that he read Pride and Prejudice (both are Jane Austen novels) and said every film adaptation of that was awful, and I had a feeling, just by looking at the trailers for the Sense and Sensibility film, I wagered that it too would be awful, even before he said that.

Moby Dick, however, only has about five or six film adaptations, despite the fact that Sense and Sensibility was published forty years earlier.

They're completely different books, not only by genre, but by experience too. Moby Dick makes you think on things throughout the book, reflect on your life and your feelings on matters. It's an adventure book, yes, but it's a modernist novel, and from what Otter told me, it's the first modernist novel.

Sense and Sensibility, while a fantastic book, isn't like that. It's quite slow at first, and then bombshell after bombshell happens, and you get excited to find out how the characters are going to react to it. Is the ending rewarding? In some regards, yes, in others, no, but it's still a fantastic piece of literature.

Mark Twain hated Jane Austen's novels, and Mark Twain was a dope Mo'fo, but I sincerely enjoyed the book. I don't think it's one of the greatest pieces of writing ever, but it's enjoyable, nonetheless. Moby Dick, however, will stay with my for a while.
Email me if you want a doughnut
Image
Image
Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck
User avatar
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby Cholls » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:42 am

Tyler wrote:Moby Dick, however, will stay with me for a while.

That's a "stick to the ribs" meal, if ever there was one. It's been a long time; I should reread it. Nah, maybe not.

Today, I was delighted to discover this quotation by Marie Skłodowska Curie, "Stability can only be attained by inactive matter.". Touché, all you normies who've muttered, "unstable", about me under your breath :lol:
Cholls
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 am
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby Tyler » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:57 pm

As an adult, I've never reread a book. I did with LOTR as a kid, many, many times, but not as an adult. Moby Dick is the slowest paced thing I've ever read in my life, and while it's very enjoyable, everything leading up to the ending drags and drags and drags and drags, and then BOOM! the ending happens. If someone would have told me when I first started reading the book that Melville got paid by the word, I would have believed them, but like, it's soooo worth reading. I'm not lying or exaggerating when I say it taught me an important life lesson and changed the way I view things, and I can't say what that life lesson is without spoiling the book, but like, if anyone really wants to know, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you, but be warned, I will spoil the book.

I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring now. Despite the fact I read that entire trilogy nine or ten times as a kid, I forgot an awful lot. Yes yes.

Another book, or series of books, depending on what you get, that I've wanted to read is The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Like, I have it in three volumes, and they're long, tiny text, no spacing books. Former mod Holodeck recommended an audio book version of it that I might get. It's 125 hours long, and I'm all "yep, I do NOT have time to read that much of ANYTHING!"

Another book I started to read was Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but I feel it's really predictable, quite a bit into it, and I feel like I know how it ends, so I'm slow reading it. Yes yes.
Email me if you want a doughnut
Image
Image
Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck
User avatar
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer
 
Posts: 5113
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:26 pm
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby Cholls » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:48 am

Tyler wrote:As an adult, I've never reread a book. I did with LOTR as a kid, many, many times, but not as an adult. Moby Dick is the slowest paced thing I've ever read in my life, and while it's very enjoyable, everything leading up to the ending drags and drags and drags and drags, and then BOOM! the ending happens. If someone would have told me when I first started reading the book that Melville got paid by the word, I would have believed them, but like, it's soooo worth reading. I'm not lying or exaggerating when I say it taught me an important life lesson and changed the way I view things, and I can't say what that life lesson is without spoiling the book, but like, if anyone really wants to know, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you, but be warned, I will spoil the book.

I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring now. Despite the fact I read that entire trilogy nine or ten times as a kid, I forgot an awful lot. Yes yes.

Another book, or series of books, depending on what you get, that I've wanted to read is The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Like, I have it in three volumes, and they're long, tiny text, no spacing books. Former mod Holodeck recommended an audio book version of it that I might get. It's 125 hours long, and I'm all "yep, I do NOT have time to read that much of ANYTHING!"

Another book I started to read was Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but I feel it's really predictable, quite a bit into it, and I feel like I know how it ends, so I'm slow reading it. Yes yes.

So I'm not a plebe for having found Moby Dick an OR-deal, like, to the max? Thank you thank you! I remember having been only mildly moved by its theme much later. I was most taken by the description of pod behavior near Java. Really, you are tempting me to reread it, which I may, but, if this happens, it will be, at best, years hence.

OK, despite having eaten, lived, and breathed TLOTR for years and years, unable to pick up anything "serious", lest I sink like a horse in a bottomless swamp of depression (referring to "that famous scene" from a movie of which I've seen just that one swamp scene), in retrospect, as an adult, I scorned it as an, at best, 2D tale which had been retold ad nauseam. Just last night, however, I was hit by an epiphany that, perhaps, it was WAY more than once I thought. So, of late, I understand anyone's desire to reread it.

Thank you. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire sounds absoLOOTly worth reading, and the audiobooks as ideal fodder for long-haul truckers. It isn't hard to find contemporary articles referring to those events (Roman and trucking), but I'll wager few will have actually "Moby Dicked" any comprehensive, well-researched accounts. So, thank you for the worthy suggestion.

For over a year now--hey, I love making people laugh--I have chewed on The Divine Comedy like an unwilling child on a piece of overcooked flank steak.

However, unlike a gristly piece of meat, Dante's life's work continues to surprise me with small spectacular gems moreso than even "the oldest surviving English crown ca. 1370-80". If any English-speakers are in the mood for a truly life-changing, albeit slow-mo experience, I unreservedly recommend Mark Musa's The Portable Dante (Penguin Classics).
Cholls
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 am
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: what's on your mind? (off-topic thread)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:10 am

On my mind, is the struggle to focus and categorize relevant information right now - and the struggle to be doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

So instead, I'm trying to decide between which was better:
- White (pre-Rob) Zombie
- Rob Zombie
- Rob Zombie remixes.

Thunder Kiss '65 - White Zombie


Never Gonna Stop - Rob Zombie


remix of The Ballad of Resurrection Joe and Rosa Whore - Rob Zombie


Currently, I'm tied at White Zombie or the Rob Zombie album of remixes, I think.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
User avatar
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:21 am
Local time: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

PreviousNext

Return to Schizoid Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 40 guests