Our partner

New Psychiatrist changing everything...

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

New Psychiatrist changing everything...

Postby MourningDove » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:47 am

I've been living with Schizoaffective Disorder for over twenty years, about a year ago, my psychiatrist (who has since moved on) finally got me on a regime that works for both the psychosis and the depression and anxiety.

I am on Haldol for the psychosis element, Doxpin for the insomnia, Lamictal for the depression (mood stablizer) and Gabapentin for anxiety and panic attacks.

My new psychiatrist, a young woman, immediately reduced my dosage of Gabapentin and is threatening to remove me from it entirely as well as the Doxipin because in her mind, everything is biochemical and she's not taking environmental factors and hormonal changes into account.

I'm extremely anxious and don't know how to tell this woman that for the first time in forever, I think I've found a combination I can live with.

She seems to be eager to just change things up on a whim.

I've only seen her twice, and it's through a telescreen (which is humiliating enough) and I don't know how to tell her I don't think it's wise to pull me off anything since they seem to be doing the trick.

Anyone else have this issue with new psychiatrists, and if so, how do you handle it?
MourningDove
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: New Psychiatrist changing everything...

Postby Alucard » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:02 am

Oh dear God, I wish I would have seen this earlier. This happens in psychiatry and in regular medicine. It happened to my dad. He was on a regimen of blood pressure medication that finally got his blood pressure down, and his new doctor goes and tries to put him on something else. Long story short, he ends up in the hospital with more seizures and his blood pressure in the 200's. I don't understand why doctor's do this!!! :evil:

I've had problems with psychiatrists trying to up my medication when I said I feel fine on whatever dose they had me on previously. I hope you were able to hold your ground. It is true that they are doctors, but often we are the ones who know what is best for ourselves, what works for us. I hope you were able to tell her that you feel okay with what you have been taking and that it seems senseless to change it now.

That is just so frustrating.
I like living in the world in my head because I'm in charge half the time.
Alucard
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:54 am
Blog: View Blog (9)

Re: New Psychiatrist changing everything...

Postby MourningDove » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:49 am

I've seen her twice now since I first posted this question and she's being more reasonable since we've been talking more intensively.

So far she's only upped my mood stabilizer a bit to help ease my depressive symptoms and a tad more Haldol for the voices that keep persisting, so far seems to be working.

I was really worried when I first started seeing her that she was going to completely rework me the way she was talking.

Thanks for your reply though, glad to know I'm not alone in this, and you're right, it's incredibly frustrating....so sorry to hear of your fathers experience.
MourningDove
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder