Our partner

zoloft-----any thoughts?

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

zoloft-----any thoughts?

Postby essdog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:53 pm

I take abilify and lamictal --------and am really down, so i'm trying zoloft. Anyone have thoughts on zoloft?
essdog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: zoloft-----any thoughts?

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:39 am

Not in particular because I was usually on a set of medications. However, I have found that over a few months, SSRI's or SNRI's tend to bring me down. My current medication is just risperidone so I am hoping that is enough to keep me neutral. I admit, my moods have been a bit more erratic with no anti-depressant but totally under control and some side effects due to being within the taper off period. I have a habit of quitting cold turkey and then telling my doc I quit.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Postby essdog » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm having trouble with anxiety the past few weeks. My moods are up and down. My mind is racing constantly. I guess I could try running. Last time I quit my meds I was suicidal. Actually the best I have done is when I smoked pot for 6 months. I'll probably end up moving where it is legal.
essdog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:17 pm

It sucks when you feel like you have to take meds into your own hands. Things take time so be aware of drug interactions and the period when starting and stopping drugs because that can cause other issues.

I was on lithium, sertraline (zoloft) and zolpidem tartrate (ambien) when I was last going down. I'm wondering if I'd have the same issue with lamictal since that and lithium are primarily for bipolar. Personally, I'd take no meds but I'd have to find a lifestyle where that could work. Last time I smoked weed, I was paranoid as $#%^.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby essdog » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:16 pm

I take ambien sometimes. My psychiatrist says it shouldn't be causing any of my anxiety. The weed didn't really make me any more paranoid than I already am. I still think the same stuff, I just am a bit calmer. One doc told me if people are really after you then the meds won't really work. A few weeks later he was gone so I didn't get to talk more about it. I fyou can't prove anything or have it verified by someone "sane" then it is delusional. Ha.

I've never tried lithium. Sometimes all these meds seem ineffective but I have to stay on them for now.
essdog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Meds haven't done much for me either. I wonder if it's because of my expectations. This is the first anti-psychotic I have been on. Admittedly, I am a bit new to the diagnoses but not the battery of medications. My understanding is that they will only solve the positive symptoms and for me, I only have paranoid delusions and never really thought they weren't normal. I guess that means they were never severe enough or I have always been able logic myself out of them.

I am just so tired of dealing but I don't think meds can help that. That's more on the therapy side to be able to cope through the crap. The downside is therapy hasn't worked either. How do you fix something that creates itself? I don't make myself paranoid, it happens and I have to figure out what is and isn't real. I could say the same for my anxiety. Maybe it's a part of Alexithymia and others have a better grasp as to what is happening.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby essdog » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:17 pm

I have paranoid delusions that stay with me all the time. I have to really think about being confident and who cares attitude, then I do pretty well. The bad days are when I ruminate about everything. My expectations have decreased over time. I just want to be somewhat content at this point. The therapy helps, but only so much. I've pretty much accepted that I should just find moments of happiness and get through the other stuff day to day. Like today I had a pretty decent day. I take it from your name that you've read Albert Camus. The world is absurd and I'm just going to say who cares what people say. As long as they don't touch me I just say ###$ it and go do something, unless the paranoia is really extreme. Then I just stay inside or go for a walk.
essdog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:29 pm

I haven't read anything specifically but the Wikipedia article about Absurdism was enough for me to jump on board. Narcissism is too pessimistic for me. Death is as meaningless as life and so is religion. The only thing left is to accept what life has given me and do whatever.
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby essdog » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:54 am

Camus wrote "the rebel" and came up with the philosophy of the absurd. It is about rebelling to find meaning. I think not fearing death is also part of it. I found reading about him pretty interesting.
essdog
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post