Our partner

Do you know when you're psychotic?

Schizoaffective Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do you know when you're psychotic?

Postby Ikeydpower » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:43 am

I'm just curious...
Do you guys/ gals know when you're psychotic? Like do you know that your hallucinations aren't real, that they are in fact hallucinations, and that the feelings of being followed or watched, or that everyone is trying to keep you drugged up and locked away, is just paranoia? Can you tell that you are starting to get delusional?

I feel like I've had the hallucinations of helicopters long enough that when they come on I know that they are not real. But I still believe they are real. If that makes any sense...
Ikeydpower
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you know when you're psychotic?

Postby Tyler » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:33 pm

I generally do know when I'm psychotic. As you said, I've been experiencing it long enough that I know when. Now, occasionally, I do get paranoid, and can't help it. When I have auditory hallucinations, and visual too, actually, I know they're not real, but sometimes my delusions can't be helped. I always think the police are coming for me. I have no real reason to think this, but it's a delusion of mine. That's one of the ones I can't help.
Email me if you want a doughnut

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Medication: Geodone 160 MG

"In a way, you've already won in this world, because you're the only one that can be you."
- Mr. Rodgers.

Forum Rules
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:57 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby MourningDove » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:15 am

When my delusional states hit I'm very aware of them.

There is a profound sense of "non reality" in that everything that is happening is simply too over the top to be anything other than a psychotic episode. My visual hallucinations are something out of science fiction and my paranoia and auditory hallucinations are always thematic. For the past decade it's always been more or less the same story-lines.

The day to day aspect of minor psychosis pales in comparison to the sense of urgency and heightened awareness that usually accompanies what I personally experience as a psychotic break.

When my condition first surfaced, it was mostly mild and I was able to deal with it as just a normal thing - but over time as the severity increased and I began to experience profound breaks from reality (which required EMT intervention and hospitalization) so severe that I actually thought the delusions were real, factual scenarios happening to me for some inexplicable reason.
MourningDove
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:57 am

Postby Ikeydpower » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 am

@mourningdove
What are your hallucinations? The one that is consistent for me are helicopters following me and people running on roof tops, and at work I always see this guy crouched in the corner of this one stairwell. Sometimes my dogs face will take on human characteristics but still look like a dog, its weird....
Ikeydpower
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby MourningDove » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:05 am

@Ikeydpower

The most profound visual hallucinations I've had were of extraterrestrial like beings....variations on the "grey" alien. There are significant variations in height, coloration and facial structure from the standard Hollywood trope.

Other times my environment takes on what I can best describe as a "shift" into a dystopian facsimile. Everything looks the same, but at the same time, everything feels off and just looks/feels fake and sinister.
MourningDove
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Son » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm

yeah I've also been experiencing the very same auditory hallucinations for so long that I know what they are when they happen. i hear may name called in a sad or angry voice, video game music coming form the other room when nothing is turned on, music playing in my headphones when there is none... the ice cream truck song lol. SO lots of music I guess. Once heard a woman say "excuse me!" in my apartment and it freaked me out. I crept around making sure no one had broken into my place.

Ive developed a ton of awareness about my disorder and they are so familiar...generally doesn't cause me distress in and of themselves. Sometimes I get upset that Its happening, that it's a sign that I'm unwell. But now I just take a deep breath and try to relax.
Bipolar I, BPD traits. | 200mg Lamictal, 900mg Lithium, 20mg Abilify

A boy was tangled in his bike forever. A girl was missing two fingers.
Son
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:57 am

Postby Winteriscoming » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

My insight has been mark-able good so far (so much so that there was some doubt as to weather I had delusions or anxiety/obsessions). However, it is deteriorating with every acute episode.
Winteriscoming
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:57 am

Postby LittleButterflyx » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:32 am

When I was first going through my episodes I didn't really know, like more with the paranoid delusions they felt very real to me. But, now that I know more of awareness with my disorders I have been able to really figure what is what and with my schizoaffective I have been able to figure out when I am hallucinating etc. However, the delusions are hard to tell...but I can tell when I am paranoid at least too.
Dx: Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type), OCD, General Anxiety, BPD, PTSD, ADHD, and Trichotillomania.
Also Dx w/: Autism, Dyslexia.
Medications: Depakote 1,000mg, Buspar 90mg, Seroquel 100mg, Trazodone 100mg, Propranolol 10mg as needed, Citalopram 60mg, Fish Oil 2,000mg
-meds working on being increased
LittleButterflyx
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby ginalovea » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:07 am

With me, I'm never sure if my delusions are real or not. They may be real or they may not be. Who's to say? But, I usually always know that my hallucinations aren't real. Almost always anyway.

-- Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:08 pm --

With my paranoia, I absolutely cannot tell that it is not real. It feels absolutely real.

-- Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm --

Luckily, all I have now is some grandiose delusions of reference that don't bother me. They help me actually. I call them the voice of God. I have zero mood symptoms. I'm schizoaffective.
ginalovea
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby koyote22 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I did not truly perceive myself that way, even when I was. Very rarely in times of severe illness could people explain to me that anything was even wrong. I guess you could say, in my case, I am swept away by the delusions completely.
koyote22
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:57 am

Return to Schizoaffective Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post