Our partner

Do you guys feel like your guilt separates you from people?

Open Discussions about Remorse Issues.

Moderator: sprock

Do you guys feel like your guilt separates you from people?

Postby Ixion » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:57 pm

Hey all,

Thought I'd drop in and post up a bit, been a fair few days now since my first post. Was terrified at first, not I'm sort of used to it. My bad feelings aren't much improved, but I do feel better knowing there's a place I can come talk about these things.

So I figured I'd ask a question I've been thinking a lot about these last couple of years?

Does anyone else feel like their guilt has separated them out from other people / society? I often feel like this. It might be because my remorse carries a lot of shame with it, feelings of paranoia, fear of exposure. Or it could be that because I've never told anyone in my real life, it feels like I'm holding on to a secret, like my life isn't really true.

It can be quite lonely at times, I try mindfulness and CBT etc. Remind myself that it's just a trick of my brain, I'm still me and my life is still my life, but it's not long before thoughts start to creep in telling me nobody else is walking around who has screwed up the way I have, and that every moment is really a pretence. It slips into unexpected places too. I was listening to a podcast recently, and found myself suddenly unable to enjoy it because it occurred to me that the hosts would probably not want me as a listener.

How do you guys feel? Have you felt like this, and if so, what helped you?
Ixion
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you guys feel like your guilt separates you from people?

Postby sprock » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:43 pm

Yes, a great deal. In terms of what has helped - volunteering and being involved in Extinction Rebellion activism has helped a bit... but in terms of feeling less alienated by the separation (or being able to intellectually process it maybe), reading The Fall by Camus. It's only a short novel, but it has a lot of wisdom in this area, I think. But I guess we all find things that resonate and work for us, if only out of desperation.

I hope knowing you're not alone here helps just a bit too :)
sprock
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:36 am

Postby Ixion » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Thank you for the kind response, Sprock. I will look in to The Fall, it sounds fascinating. I must admit I'm going through a rough patch with it all right now, and I feel very lonely, so finding a way to engage positively with the world is probably a good idea.
Ixion
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:36 pm

Postby Zephyr2084 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi StuckInGuilt,

I just subscribed to this forum because what you are describing is exactly what I am feeling, and I wanted to let you know.
Whenever I am outside I look at every single person and wonder what is the worst thing that they have done.
Any fun or recreational activity I engage in (not many these days...) is ruined by the constant feeling of being a walking monster among humans.
The realization that my demons may be with me for the rest of my life makes getting out of bed in the morning very difficult and meaningless.
I want you to know that I know how you feel. Going through all this myself has thought me to never judge people, I want you to know that you can talk (write) to me either here or in private.

Hope to hear back from you, my friend.
Take care
Zephyr2084
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:36 pm

Return to Remorse

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post