Our partner

Was this breakup due to my exes Bipolar1?

Open Discussions about Relationship Issues.

Was this breakup due to my exes Bipolar1?

Postby vintageyouth » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:33 am

Shamefully I must say the relationship with my Bipolar 1 ex still haunts me, we have been broken up for months. Yet the questions still ring in my mind as to why he had such little empathy and so much hate/resentment towards me. When I did nothing bad to him. A little back story...

My ex was my best friend. We lived together, did everything together. He is Bipolar 1, took his meds as far as I know. But he would switch from loving me to hating me. It was very confusing because when he was normal he was the best, sweet, funny, empathetic, sensitive but he could switch to resentful, cold, cruel, paranoid. One day he told me he heard voices and they said to hurt me (I seriously thought he was joking) So living together was hard. Right before the breakup he had basically began ignoring me purposely and acting very weird. when he came home from work he would just play video games all night and I would fall asleep alone. Soon after I came home from work one day found him standing in the kitchen acting weird then to tell me he no longer loved me and to pack my stuff and get out, he then goes into the bedroom to watch tv, I follow to try and talk about the situation he ignores me still watching tv , So i turn the tv off and tell him I deserve more respect than this. His response "I don't love you, you're a piece of $#%^ and narcissistic. Get the ###$ out of my house and my life." It was very cold and hateful, like he was a different person. The next day I move all of my stuff out. We have not spoken, I don't expect we will. My question is was the related to his Bipolar 1? why did he have such a lack of empathy and hate towards me?
vintageyouth
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Was this breakup due to my exes Bipolar1?

Postby shock_the_monkey » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:26 pm

from the little that you've said here, i'd say 'yes' that was his disorder. sadly, these things aren't rational. and that's the hardest think to accept. we try to find rational reasons for thing. and when there aren't any rational reasons, we're left disconcerted. often, as hard as we try, we just can't shake the feeling that there has to be a rational reason, even though we might well know that there just isn't one.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:52 pm

Postby Butterfly3ii3effect » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:29 pm

Yes I think I read that bipolar types often irrationally feel taken advantage of even if nobody has hurt them intentionally or otherwise.
Butterfly3ii3effect
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:52 pm

Postby Holodeck » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Bipolar I woman here. This does sound like it. Even if he was taking his meds I'm certain he wasn't on the correct dosage. I'm sorry you had to be through this. In my relationship, we've had some rough spots because of my swings but it was by far better once I got the right meds. My dad wasn't so lucky and my parents were constantly how you described your situation. Hopefully, your ex will get the help he needs.
Holodeck
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am

Return to Relationship Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post