Our partner

I have no where to turn

Reactive Attachment Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I have no where to turn

Postby lyra83 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi everyone

I have a diagnoses of BPD - for some time now I've been thinking I no longer 'fit' this diagnosis. I still have some of the thought patterns and even behaviours BUT that doesn't mean I have BPD.

I had my last session with my therapist this week. I asked her outright if she thought I have BPD. She didn't give me a straight answer (!). She said it was unfair I have the diagnosis when my symptoms are a symptom of the past. She then went on to say she thinks I have an attachment disorder.

I have googled this and I understand it. It fits and it doesn't surprise me, given my history. Google doesn't offer any help though.

I feel incredibly sad and desperate at this moment in time.

Age 8 months - both my parents went to prison - I was placed in foster care
Age 4 - returned to my mother
Between ages 4-7 - I continued to go back to the same foster carers at weekends and holidays. I was being sexually abused there.
Age 7 - my mother left. She went out and simply didn't return. I didn't see her again until last year (I am now 31). I was returned back to the same foster family. My siblings went elsewhere (with each other).
Between the ages of 7 and 14 I stayed with the foster family. I was sexually, physically and mentally/emotionally abused. I had no love. I was nobodies child, no-one's daughter.
Age 14 - I disclosed. Moved to a children's home, some people were sent to prison.
Between the ages of 14-16, I lived in many different homes. I had promises from staff members/social workers to always be there for me. Those people left.
Age 16 - I had a baby

My child does not live with me, he has not since he was 4. I have regular contact with him - he seems secure in himself. The people that have him were my old social worker and her husband. Apparently, she didn't give a $#%^ about me, she wanted my baby. Then she ###$ off to Australia with him.

That's a very brief overview of my life. It's no surprise I have attachment issues.

I obsess about older women, want to cling to them. I have a certain type in my head, this 'goddess' type, someone I want to be my mother. It's getting harder because I'm getting older.

I wish I was a little girl with a proper mummy.

This is very raw as well because my therapy has ended. I can't go back to therapy, I can't cope with another goodbye.

I think my partner has an attachment disorder as well but she is different to me - whereas, even though I feel the pain inside, I am quite aloof and appear quite 'hard' and independent, she is very clingy and needy. I do not tolerate this very well. I've stopped reassuring her because there is no point, it doesn't DO anything - I have spoke to her about this and she accepts this. Her mother is around and she [partner] is like 'you can have my mum as well' - er, your mother made you the way you are, I'm good thanks.

I often wonder if I'm in a lesbian relationship because I need a woman, but not in sexual sense. I have no interest in men...or women, for that matter.

I just want a mum.

I feel so lonely, desperate and despairing right now.
lyra83
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:04 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I have no where to turn

Postby Nambo » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:30 pm

I would say your life experiences could most certainly cause RAD.
But I think these diagnoses es all overlap to a certain extent so you can fit one diagnosis whilst in reality suffering from something else.
I could probably just as easily have been diagnoses with Aspergers syndrome as RAD.
I am of the same RAD type as you, seemingly aloof and unapproachable, certainly independent.

Really don't know how I can be of help?
Maybe you need to find a partner who is a lot older than you and wants to give you that sort of Love, the person you are with seems to be the opposite of what you seem to need?
Nambo
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: I have no where to turn

Postby Thefraggle » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:15 pm

I really relate to your obsessing over older women and how painful that need is as I feel the same. I apparently have BPD with an attachment disorder diagnosis as well. I have attached intensely to older women since I was about 6 and it truly is agonising and feel it has ruined my life as I obsess to the detriment of normal relationships which I now have none (I'm in my 30s ).
Thefraggle
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Reactive Attachment Disorder Forum