Our partner

Couples and Individual therapy: conflict of interest?

Psychotherapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Couples and Individual therapy: conflict of interest?

Postby jameshcolorado » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Do you guys think it's appropriate for a therapist to see my wife and I for couples counseling and at the same time treat my wife for mental health? The original consultation was for the couples counseling, and I set it up. But at that first session, she suggested she see my wife as well -- saving time by not having my wife find another therapist for individual. She saw me a couple times one on one but was clear that she sees me to get more background on the couples work, but she sees my wife for separate individual counseling. Conflict of interest or ok? What do you think? Normal? Not?
jameshcolorado
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Couples and Individual therapy: conflict of interest?

Postby couplecounsel » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi,
Very much a conflict of interest. This in my opinion is a very unethical therapist with an imbalance or a bias. Just in general my experience with couples counseling is terrible. I have not found an impartial therapist or even a skillfull one. Individual therapy for a person who has trouble in their marriage is a BAD IDEA. But for a therapist who saw you both or is seeing a couple to then see one of the spouses individually is extraordinarilly unethical and a conflict of interest. This will push you closer to divorce. A therapist should at least do no harm. My cents.
couplecounsel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Psychotherapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post