Our partner

Do you ever feel "too smart" for your therapist?

Psychotherapy message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Do you ever feel "too smart" for your therapist?

Postby Roseredpinball » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Now please don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to say I'm some kinda genius or smarter than my therapist. What I mean is, sometimes, I feel like I'm just a bit too quick on the pick up for my own good. I'm a Psych major in college and a naturally curious person who enjoys reading articles on psychology and self-help books. Well, actually, it's more like I do it half because I enjoy it and half because I'm trying to find ways to help myself. Anyway, sometimes, in therapy, we'll be talking about an issue of mine and my therapist will start mentioning some concept or theory in psychology that she thinks applies to my situation and I'll already have heard of it and thought about how it might apply to me. For example, I've never actually had this specific conversation during any of my therapy sessions but, I might start talking about distancing myself emotionally from some situation and she'll mention disassociation and I've already heard of it and thought about how it might apply to me. I don't wanna be rude so I let her finish her explanation even though I know already how it might apply to me. I might then say I've already thought about it or not say anything at all, not wanting to be rude. In fact, sometimes, I will have read about some concept or psychological defense mechanism that I think might apply to me so I'll hint at it in our sessions.

I feel badly, but I can't help it. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all in therapy. Has anyone else felt this way? Are any of you psychologists or have some experience as one? Did you ever have any patients like this? How did you react? It's a little annoying, actually, because even though I know my psychologist has the best intentions it's a bit irritating being told what I already know. *sigh* This is what I mean by being "too smart" for my own good. Again, I don't mean to sound like a braggart or to imply that I'm some kinda genius who doesn't need psychotherapy. So any input from others who have felt this way or advice or reassurance that I'm not annoying the crap outta my therapist by already knowing these things or that I'm the only one who does this would be much appreciated! XD
Roseredpinball
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do you ever feel "too smart" for your therapist?

Postby Jolly jo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Therapy is a conversation. Have you ever tried to discuss this directly with your therapist? Its an important part of the process to say what come up. It might be that you are shutting things down or that the therapist is on the wrong track. Either way, its a waste of time to sit there and nod away. Challenge your therapist and she might challenge you back.
Diagnosed DID with a few other states.
Jolly jo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:39 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Psychotherapy

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post